Windows 10: Windows 10 will not recognize my external Raid enclosure as a single disk.

Discus and support Windows 10 will not recognize my external Raid enclosure as a single disk. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I purchase a Mobius two bay raid enclosure a few years ago and had no problem setting up a Raid1 array using 2 - 2Tb drives, MBR and NTFS. I recently... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Kat-277, Jan 22, 2019.

1. Kat-277 Win User

Windows 10 will not recognize my external Raid enclosure as a single disk.

I purchase a Mobius two bay raid enclosure a few years ago and had no problem setting up a Raid1 array using 2 - 2Tb drives, MBR and NTFS. I recently purchased another, identical enclosure installed 2 - 6Tb drives and went to set up a Raid1 array, using GBT and NTFS. The Mobius raid enclosure uses a hardware raid chip so this is not a problem with a software raid -- at least it shouldn't be. When I originally connected the enclosure Windows wanted to initialize Disk 3 which I assumed meant that windows saw the enclosure as a single 6Tb drive which is what it should do. After initializing "Drive 3" disk management displayed two separate disks, Disk 3 and Disk 4. When I right clicked on Disk 3 it gave me the options to create a simple partition, to stripe the drives or span the two disks. Well I didn't want to stripe the drives (Raid 0) and I did not want to span the two disks, so my only choice was to create a simple partition, so I did. It only formatted the first drive and assigned drive letter K to the disk. The second disk, Disk 4 didn't format with Disk 3 which I assumed it would as I was supposed to have a Raid 1 array. Instead it remained unformatted and would only format if I assigned a drive letter different from Disk 3. So Windows does not recognize the hardware Raid 1 array. How can I get windows to allow me to create a Raid 1 array with this hardware Raid enclosure? I have no idea what happened when MS changed the Disk Management software and there seems to be no information that I can find on this problem. I am running Windows 10 Home 64 bit, with the latest update. I know because it updated today. I will also be contacting Oyen Digital, the manufacturer of the Mobius Raid enclosure to see if they have a solution.

:)

Kat-277, Jan 22, 2019

2. Best External USB 3.0 RAID Enclosures (RAID 5 or 10)

Looking to buy an small external RAID enclosure for backup and storage, but with 4 bays, and with very good quality RAID 5/10 support.
    Naturally is about the performance first, price second and also design.

Any good experience with quality products out there?

Thank you very much in advance.

Prima.Vera, Jan 22, 2019
  3. Windows 10 Not Recognizing External RAID Drive When I Turn the External Drive On !!

Hello,

I recently converted from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I have a CRU external enclosure for 2 6TB HDD in a RAID 1 configuration. I only use the external drive to store 100,000 images for use with Lightroom/Photoshop and I turn the external drive Off when finished
    as I am away from home for long periods of time traveling. I do NOT leave it running.

The problem is that if I have Windows 10 up and running and then I turn on the external drive, Windows 10 does NOT recognize the external drive; it does NOT show up under My PC. If I turn the external drive On before I turn on Windows 10, the operating
    system recognizes the external drive just fine as it powers On itself.

This issue never occurred with Windows 7. I could turn the external drive On before or after the operating system was started and Windows 7 recognized the external drive without issue.

Can anyone give me some advice as how to fix this? Seems rather simple and I am sure there is a setting somewhere that I have set incorrectly BUT I have no idea of what or where it might be.

Thanks,

Mel

MelHughes1, Jan 22, 2019
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Windows storage spaces with external 2 bay HDD enclosure

Hi there

I can't seem to decide what's the best way option connecting a 2 Bay HDD external enclosure to a laptop for maximum performance.

The HDD enclosure can connect via e-sata or a USB 3 connection -- I have to use the USB 3 connection as there's no e-sata external connection on the laptop. These enclosures only need 1 USB / e-sata connector as the hardware in the computer has the multi-port detection in it (been standard for ages these days).

The HDD enclosure has a built in switchable option - Run as RAID 0, Run as RAID 1, Run as JBOD (Just a bunch of Disks i.e it will show the whole thing as a single HDD) or as discrete disks -- i.e it will show 2 separate disks.

Now I want to use storage spaces so I'm tempted to use the "run as separate disks" option -- Windows will then see 2 HDD's which I can create into a storage space.

On these multi-bay relatively cheap HDD enclosures my impression is that the built in RAID controllers are far inferior to using Software -- on Linux that's certainly true - the mdadm kernel RAID works far superiorly to running these enclosures using built in RAID.

Any idea as to using these types of HDD's with Storage spaces vs the built in hardware RAID.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jan 22, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows 10 will not recognize my external Raid enclosure as a single disk. - Similar Threads - recognize external Raid

2. Windows won't recognize my RAID.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows won't recognize my RAID.: TLDR: RAID isn't recognized with VMD off. Can't boot with VMD on because Windows can't access the boot drive. SFC Scannow didn't help and I can't install Intel RST as my system "Isn't compatible." TIAHardware:CPU: i9-14900KMoBo: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master X ver 1.1 Latest...
  3. Windows won't recognize my RAID.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows won't recognize my RAID.: TLDR: RAID isn't recognized with VMD off. Can't boot with VMD on because Windows can't access the boot drive. SFC Scannow didn't help and I can't install Intel RST as my system "Isn't compatible." TIAHardware:CPU: i9-14900KMoBo: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master X ver 1.1 Latest...
  4. Win10 always do check disk on my External Enclosure when startup

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 always do check disk on my External Enclosure when startup: Hi all, I have tired to find out the solution for my problem but no hope, so I post my question here to see if I have luck. I have an external enclosure (contained 2 hdds) and I mapped it to drive X: and Y: It worked fine at start. But one day, the window have the check disk...
  5. 4 bay external enclosure (non raid) connected to esata/sata

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    4 bay external enclosure (non raid) connected to esata/sata: 4 bay external enclosure (non raid) - connected via esata cable to sata port on mobo. win 10 19042.631 64bit asus Z87-a mobo drivers up to date Mediasonic ProBox HF2-SU3S2 AHCI in bios Enclosure works fine on usb3.0 trying to free up a usb port and some speed by using esata....
  6. External hard disk is not recognized?

External hard disk is not recognized?: Is recognized but not displayed in the This PC! Externe Festplatte wird nicht erkannt?
  7. External Enclosure Bad drive

External Enclosure Bad drive: Well decided to check out from my old AMD FX system, the 2tb storage drive in the Mass Cool Enclosure, HDTune shows entirely red It went thru that error scan the fastest i ever seen it do one lol, not sure if false positive or what, but just in case, transferring the data...
  8. Windows 10 Not Recognizing External RAID Drive When I Turn the External Drive On !!

Windows 10 Not Recognizing External RAID Drive When I Turn the External Drive On !!: Hello, I recently converted from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I have a CRU external enclosure for 2 6TB HDD in a RAID 1 configuration. I only use the external drive to store 100,000 images for use with Lightroom/Photoshop and I turn the external drive Off when finished as I...
  9. Migrating from single disk to Raid 1

Migrating from single disk to Raid 1: Hi all! Setting up my first Raid 1 NAS because I want redundancy for my important files. So here is my proposed plan. 1. I have a 3 TB drive with about 2 TB data on it - I'll call this the source disk. It has never been in an array, just a normal single disk. I purchase a...
  10. Single drive with RAID?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Single drive with RAID?: This doesn't make sense. My new Dell 15 XPS (9550) laptop has the BIOS SATA setting set to RAID (not AHCI) and yet it has a single internal OS NVMe PCIe SSD. Any idea why it's not set to AHCI? thanks 54722

Users found this page by searching for:

1. mobius RAID windows 10

2. mobius 2 not recognizing setup of raid one

3. raid not recognized in windows 10

4. windows 10 orico enclosures not recognized,
  5. windows 10 not recognizing usb sata enclosure