Windows 10: Windows 10 will not update, won't let me make a usb recovery either

Discus and support Windows 10 will not update, won't let me make a usb recovery either in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a mini dell 3050 with windows 10 home on it, it came with a 32gb ssd and 2gb ram, I upgraded the ram per crucials page to 8gb, also upgraded the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by FTLOSM, Jan 20, 2017.

1. FTLOSM Win User

Windows 10 will not update, won't let me make a usb recovery either

I have a mini dell 3050 with windows 10 home on it, it came with a 32gb ssd and 2gb ram, I upgraded the ram per crucials page to 8gb, also upgraded the ssd drive to a 128gb transcend ssd cloning the original ssd with Macrium Reflect Free program, everything seemed to go smooth and the computer does seem to run ok but I noticed my windows updates were failing.

This is my first time using windows 10 btw, I started to wonder if I should just reload windows and saw there was a make a usb restore type option, everytime I put in an NTFS formatted empty 32gb thumbdrive it says it can't create the thumbdrive and fails, thought maybe it was the usb drive, I then tried a 64gb 3.0 speed drive in the 3.0 slot of the dell, same results fails to create it after oh 15 mins or so of what appears to be files moving it stops with a failure message.

I tried removing the few updates I did have that were successful and re running windows updates, still at the same point a few worked but most just failed.

I tried the microsoft update diagnostic tool - no help.

System restore has no usable restore points - to be fair I haven't really used this machine more than a few hours total most of which was just setting up basic stuff like firefox sync, plex server, joining the homegroup, vlc player, avast antivirus.

I have installed a few basic apps and overall windows seems to run fine, no hangups or issues running applications/programs, yet it concerns me I can't create a backup of the os here to usb and that I can't get windows to update successfully so I sort of feel like continuing to load things and use it will end up in frustration down the road.

My one thought to try that I haven't done yet is remove the new ssd, put the old 32gb ssd in that it came with and try to create the usb bootable restore to USB, thinking for some reason the clone process may be the issue then put the 128gb drive back in and see if i can reload windows off the usb? I may try this today when I get an hour or so (after the kids go to bed), figured I would ask here first see if I had any other ideas or options to try or consider first.

Cute little pc, going to use it in a master bedroom to mainly just watch stuff off our NAS drive as a plex server, just like to be able to create that usb backup and get windows downloads working.

:)

FTLOSM, Jan 20, 2017

2. Windows 10 won't repair itself, stuck in loop, cant use keyboard or mouse. Usb methods not working

Windows 10 updated last night, and now it won't boot. It comes to the keyboard layout screen, and my computers mouse or keyboard won't work on it. I tryed a recovery USB, and a Instalation disk of win10 but either didnt work. Niether one would even give
    me the option to go into safe mode. What on earth is going on?

phenomenalvp, Jan 20, 2017
  3. E:\WINDOWS\System32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt error

I meant recovery and it won't let me restore either

1LorrieRoss, Jan 20, 2017
  4. mrgeek Win User

Since you can boot to Windows, try an In-Place Repair Upgrade. Complete tutorial here - Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

I like to use the process in Step 4. Just download the ISO to your desktop, r-click 'Mount' and run the setup.exe. It will go faster if you skip updates and then see if that repairs Windows Updates. Good Luck

mrgeek, Jan 20, 2017
  5. FTLOSM Win User
    THANK YOU for the advice here, sorry for the delay in reply took me a bit to get a free evening to do this, but everything went super simple smooth and so far so good it's been updating fine and working! I am still very new to windows 10 so learning my way around it seems like things are running a bit slow in general for 8gb of ram but it's probably the tiny processor in this making it feel a bit less responsive overall but perfect for what I am using it for plex netflix etc.

FTLOSM, Jan 27, 2017
  6. mrgeek Win User
    Congrats and thanks for marking topic solved so others can find your solution.

mrgeek, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 will not update, won't let me make a usb recovery either - Similar Threads - update won't let

2. it won't let me update my windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    it won't let me update my windows: it won't let me update windows https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/it-wont-let-me-update-my-windows/33d0e54a-aba8-4b89-9cf1-184e5ecc6dba
  3. it won't let me update my windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    it won't let me update my windows: it won't let me update windows https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/it-wont-let-me-update-my-windows/33d0e54a-aba8-4b89-9cf1-184e5ecc6dba
  4. Why computer wont let me sign in and won't let me make a pin.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why computer wont let me sign in and won't let me make a pin.: My pc never let me set up a pin before so I ended up always pressing skip this step and logging into my computer, but recently whenever I go to log in, I click skip this step and it just sends me back to the begining stage. windows 11...
  5. Why computer wont let me sign in and won't let me make a pin.

Why computer wont let me sign in and won't let me make a pin.: My pc never let me set up a pin before so I ended up always pressing skip this step and logging into my computer, but recently whenever I go to log in, I click skip this step and it just sends me back to the begining stage. windows 11...
  6. My computer won't let let me update

My computer won't let let me update: So I have this desktop from 2011 I believe that originally ran on windows 7 home premium. Well I've had windows 10 installed for quite some time, it ran slow and I was aware I had viruses, unfortunately I don't have a virus cleaner and I can't afford one, so I figured I could...
  7. Windows 10 ( new build) won't let me make a recovery USB.

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Windows 10 ( new build) won't let me make a recovery USB.: Windows 10 Version 1909 (os build 18363. 1316) This is a home built computer. The only things brought over from the old one was a manual data transfer of photos and documents, no programs. I cant get Windows to make a back up USB drive. I though maybe my flash drive was bad,...
  8. Windows won't let me update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows won't let me update: I recently purchased an external SSD and was hoping to install the latest Windows 10 updates on my PC. When I try to do this, however, it says: "Updates are available, but we temporarily need some space to download. Remove some things you don't need right now and we'll try...
  9. Windows won't let me use a recovery drive

Windows won't let me use a recovery drive: So, I had recently tried fixing my computer because it was stuck in the 'endless loop' by using a recovery usb and drive (I had gotten both) but neither shows the option to recover from drive? I can select 'recover from drive' but all that does is show me my options of...
  10. windows won't let me update

windows won't let me update: windows won't let me update KB2267602. forum help is for windows 8 from 2014. I need current help. thanks in advance https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/windows-wont-let-me-update/69055692-780b-4979-bc81-40b8f378f95c

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows wont let me recover from usb