Windows 10: Windows 10 will not wake up from Sleep + Video Driver

Discus and support Windows 10 will not wake up from Sleep + Video Driver in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello!! It looks like I stumbled upon the black hole in troubleshooting "Windows 10 will not wake up from Sleep" + "Microsoft NVIDIA drivers... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by IronSec, Dec 13, 2018.

1. IronSec Win User

Windows 10 will not wake up from Sleep + Video Driver

Hello!!

It looks like I stumbled upon the black hole in troubleshooting "Windows 10 will not wake up from Sleep" + "Microsoft NVIDIA drivers preventing full install of NVIDIA drivers from NVIDIA website" which I have been tackling for days with Dell to no avail. I honestly believe it's Microsoft's latest build/updates causing this problem that kept my monitor from waking up from sleep mode. In my 18+ years using Dell's equipment, I never experienced anything like this. I am an avid Security Researcher, a Jr level Cybersecurity Analyst. I am tech savvy and this stubborn problem will not disappear.

My System Info:

OS Name: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
    OS Version: 10.0.17763 N/A Build 17763

System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
    System Model: XPS 8930
    Processor(s): Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz, 3696 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version: Dell Inc. 1.1.3, 11/2/2018

I have reformatted, wiped system to no avail. I also looked at past post with the same problem but the thread was locked.

As for the NIVIDIA drivers dilemmas. When I format my system and do a fresh install of latest Windows 10 build, I have to do so without ethernet connection to keep Microsoft from installing the video drivers on my system while I try to install the binaries from NVIDIA site - full install. After removing ethernet cable, preventing Microsoft updates from installing drivers/updates, I was able to install NIDIA full install with no problems. BTW, I have a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070.

Never in my life have I ever had this kind of problems. I have a Dell XPS L502x laptop, for about 9 years, it went from Windows 7, 8 to 10 to current build today, not one issues, not one!!! But my new system is having the following problems listed above.

:)

IronSec, Dec 13, 2018

2. wake from sleep issue in windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting your reply. Apologize for the delay in response.

I suggest you to check which devices are configured to wake up the computer from sleep by following the steps below:

• Right click on Start icon and select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Type the command line below:
    Powercfg /devicequery wake_armed

3. Check if the devices (Keyboard, Mouse, Ethernet cable) are listed.

If the system is not going to sleep and going to Hybernate, the only option to wake up is to press the Power button.

Hope the information is helpful.

Eeshwar Kumar, Dec 13, 2018
  3. PC Crashes on Wake Up from Sleep After Installing Windows 10 Anniversary Update

Hi Juzar,

Thank you for your quick reply.

I followed the steps in the article you linked to but they did not resolve the issue.

The video driver has not changed since it's last release 7/15/2015 (AMD Radeon HD 7560D Driver Version 15.200.1060.0). I tried some previous troubleshooting steps suggested by AMD which included completely uninstalling the driver and reinstalling but that
    didn't work either. I even upgraded to a beta driver to see if that would help per AMD's suggestions, but that didn't work.

Since this problem ONLY started happening AFTER installing the Windows 10 Anniversary Update, my suspicion is that something in that update changed the Wake Up from Sleep behavior on the PC.

When the problem occurs on wake form sleep it's always my secondary monitor that displays the cursor and black screen while my primary monitor won't display anything. That seems to indicate the video driver is not loading properly on wake up which would
    be a Windows 10 issue.

Search results seem to indicate a lot of other users are having the same problem.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks again!

chalmersjohnson, Dec 13, 2018
  4. Windows 10 will not wake up from Sleep + Video Driver

Troubleshooting PCs spontaneously waking from sleep

I've also battled with sleep/wake issues over the years, and from experience have learned that trying to find, or rationalise, the root cause is a waste of time. All you need is `powercfg`.

`powercfg -devicequery wake_armed` from an Administrator PowerShell window/Command Prompt will give you a list of all devices that can possibly wake the PC. This command is interesting because very often, it will show devices that you'd never expect being able to wake your computer. I think in one instance I had the chipset device listed!

`powercfg -devicedisablewake "device_name_from_device_query"`will prevent said device from ever waking the computer. This command is 100% the only thing I have found that will resolve sleep/wake problems. Updating drivers, unplugging peripherals, switching to a cleaner power supply (UPS), changing ethernet cables... none of those have helped, yet`powercfg -devicedisablewake` has done the trick.

Note that occasionally, devices you have disabled wake for may start waking up the PC again - this happens if you plug a USB device into a different port, or occasionally when drivers are updated, because Windows sees it as a new device. In that case rerun `powercfg` to find and disable that device again.

If this does not resolve your wake issues, I would start looking at power fluctuations.

Assimilator, Dec 13, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 will not wake up from Sleep + Video Driver

1. Windows 10 will not wake up from Sleep + Video Driver - Similar Threads - wake Sleep Video

2. WIndows 10 will not wake up from sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    WIndows 10 will not wake up from sleep: I’ve been having something of a nightmare for the last 3 months with one of my self-built desktop PCs. It was built in 2014 based on a Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB motherboard with an AMD FX-4130 CPU and has 16GB RAM. Originally it was a Windows 7 only machine installed on a Sandisk...
  3. WIndows 10 will not wake up from sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WIndows 10 will not wake up from sleep: I’ve been having something of a nightmare for the last 3 months with one of my self-built desktop PCs. It was built in 2014 based on a Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB motherboard with an AMD FX-4130 CPU and has 16GB RAM. Originally it was a Windows 7 only machine installed on a Sandisk...
  4. WIndows 10 will not wake up from sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. wake up from sleep?

wake up from sleep?: I can't wake up my computer from sleep be clicking the mouse or using the keyboard. I have tried everything and all the settings in device manager are set the same as my other computer and that one works fine....
  6. Wake up from sleep in windows 10

Wake up from sleep in windows 10: Is there any shortcut to wake up from sleep in windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wake-up-from-sleep-in-windows-10/eba48a78-f620-4286-8018-3a24c788142a
  7. Wake up from sleep

Wake up from sleep: Hi My laptop doesn't wakeup after I put it to sleep, I just get a blank grey screen. I have to force a restart. What am I doing wrong https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wake-up-from-sleep/c338a9d8-9ad1-4408-ac39-f86c54be1119
  8. Will not wake up from sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    Will not wake up from sleep: I have 1809-17763.379 and if I choose sleep by right clicking the start button the computer will not wake up with the mouse or keyboard. It will wake up from screensaver with the mouse. If I push the power button it will wake up. Any suggestions will be appreciated. 130026
  9. Windows 10 - waking up from sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 - waking up from sleep: Hi all, Just joined site as got nowhere else to turn to *Sad As of recently a week or 2 now, when I put my computer into sleep mode it goes to sleep no problem. I have enabled it to wake up either using my keyboard or mouse which is fine, but I know have noticed a...
  10. Windows 10 Waking up from Sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Waking up from Sleep: When I wake up my PC from sleep, it stops at a picture like viewing from a cave to the ocean (shows date/time upper left and some icons lower right). It stops there until I click on the screen then goes to User name logon 'sign In'; where it stops again until I click on...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. nvidea driver wake up on sleep

2. nvidia driver and windows 10 wake from sleep