Windows 10: Windows 10 will support FLAC natively

Discus and support Windows 10 will support FLAC natively in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; For media enthusiasts, Windows 10 is shaping up to be a good OS for your next media player as Microsoft has announced that FLAC support will ship with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Nov 25, 2014.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Windows 10 will support FLAC natively

Read more...

Source:
    Tweet

— Twitter API (@user) date

:)

Brink, Nov 25, 2014

2. WMP 12 in Windows 10 won't convert .flac when syncing to Windows Phone Lumia 1520

Thank you Marek. My point is that WMP has several formats it recognises and uses. With Windows 10, this now includes officially .flac so .flac is supported by WMP natively. Good step.

In the past, WMP converted all the formats it read for sync with Windows Phone. For example, lossless .wma is converted during the sync process to a lossy format which is usable on the Windows Phone connected to the PC. This is desired behaviour as it reduces
    the size of the music file to fit on the limited space on the phone. It does the same if you use a USB stick as the sync device (and have set the WMP Device options accordingly).

However it does not convert the now officially supported .flac in the same way. Why not? it should.

I know that Windows Phone does not support .flac natively (unless you install .flac player). Which is why WMP should convert it.

Under Win 10, the natively supported format of lossless .wma gets converted by WMP while syncing to Windows Phone into a format usable by the native player on Windows Phone. This is good.

Under Win 10, the natively supported format of .flac does NOT get converted by WMP while syncing to Windows Phone into a format usable by the native player on Windows Phone. Why not? This is not good.

I don't want to have two windows music systems on my PC and on my phone - I just want Windows 10, Windows Media Player and Windows Phone to support the same file types in the same way. Why would Microsoft want me to install non-Microsoft apps?

Mike300ZXna, Nov 25, 2014
  3. Ehsu99 Win User
    FLAC tag/metadata reading in WMP on Windows 10

Gets temporary soultion from Tim De Baets, thanks for his advice,

There are indeed still issues with the native FLAC tag support in Windows 10. I suggest that you report these with the Windows 10 feedback tool. That's the best way to urge Microsoft to fix their FLAC support.

To get better tag support again in WMP, you can first install the WMP Tag Plus plug-in (like you probably did in Windows 7/8.1). Then you will also need to disable the native support; for instructions see How
    do I disable Microsoft's native FLAC tag support in Windows 10?
    in the WMP Tag Plus FAQ.

Ehsu99, Nov 25, 2014
  4. BunnyJ New Member

Just more win!!

Well, IMO.
    Again, YMMV...

Jeff

BunnyJ, Nov 25, 2014
  5. Rickkins Win User
    Cool. Got many flac files in my 94GB music folder...

Rickkins, Nov 25, 2014
  6. Petey7 Win User
    Yay! Now if only my stupid iPhone supported it. *glares at Apple*

Petey7, Nov 25, 2014
  7. I recently ripped my entire music collection to FLAC. So much better than MP3.

Indianatone, Nov 26, 2014
  8. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

FLAC is the obvious way to store audio files these days - it's an OPEN LOSSLESS Codec -- those of you who want lots of highly compressed mp3 files on things like ipods or phones can always convert them. (Some of the better phones support FLAC these days anyway).

FLAC files are essentially like old Photo negatives as they can be used over and over again and are the ORIGINAL source file. FLAC also has compression unlike WAV so better use of media --audio quality is not lost though as it is a LOSSLESS compression.advanta

Another advantage is that it's an OPEN codec so no stupid CLOSED proprietary data bases needed etc.

As for native support on Windows -- OK fine - but VLC plays them as well as the old WINAMP. However I'm not against windows supporting more multi-media formats.

@Petey7 -- get a Samsung - those phones all play FLAC !!!!!.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Nov 27, 2014
  9. Petey7 Win User
    I plan on getting a Windows Phone next time I can upgrade. Probably a Lumia. Since Windows 10 is supposed to be "One OS for all devices" I should be covered. As for VLC, this is probably just me, but I've never really liked VLC. I can't give a very specific reason why, but I just don't like the look of it, don't find very user friendly, I don't like the icon... I have it installed because it is capable of handling MKV files with multiple audio tracks and multiple subtitle tracks, but I usually end up converting stuff to different formats because, for some reason, I just can't convince myself to like it.

Petey7, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 will support FLAC natively - Similar Threads - support FLAC natively

2. Does Windows 10 support creating ISO files natively?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Does Windows 10 support creating ISO files natively?: BACKGROUND: I recently completed a clean retail install of Windows 10 on a computer that previously has an HP OEM install. After the clean Windows install, I installed a few updated drivers and applications, and it’s ready for the end user. The HP OEM installation had a...
  3. Windows 10 is reportedly getting native Android apps support

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 is reportedly getting native Android apps support: Microsoft is working on a new project that will close the ‘app gap’ in the Microsoft Store (also known as Windows Store). Reports of running Android apps natively on Windows 10 go back to 2014 when Microsoft started exploring ‘Project Astoria’ and ‘Project Islandwood’, which...
  4. Why Does Windows 10 Not Natively Support OpenVPN?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Why Does Windows 10 Not Natively Support OpenVPN?: In Settings > Network & Internet > VPN, we can hit the plus sign to add a VPN connection. Yet, under the VPN Type drop down, OpenVPN is not an option. Does anyone have any idea why Microsoft doesn't natively support OpenVPN? Of course, it's not just Microsoft. Google does...
  5. Firefox is getting support for Windows 10 native notifications

in Windows 10 News
    Firefox is getting support for Windows 10 native notifications: Just like any other web browsers, Mozilla Firefox has support for push notifications built in. Windows 10 has a notification system called Action Center, but Firefox doesn’t utilize it. It appears that we can soon expect to see Firefox notifications delivered through Windows...
  6. Add Native RAW Image Format Support to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add Native RAW Image Format Support to Windows 10: How to: Add Native RAW Image Format Support to Windows 10 How to Add Native RAW Image Format Support to Windows 10 Do you like taking pictures in Raw image formats and wish that the Raw files from your camera were natively supported by Windows 10? Good news!...
  7. Quick Discussion of native RAID 0 support in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Quick Discussion of native RAID 0 support in Windows 10: On the Microsoft Forums Someone wrote: Again, not one single post in thousands I've helped with in forums about RAID that was positive - every single one was either a problem or a disaster. And if you already knew the answer then why did you ask? I qualified my...
  8. How can I disable Windows Media Player's Native FLAC support?

in Windows 10 Support
    How can I disable Windows Media Player's Native FLAC support?: Is there a way to disable Windows Media Player's new native FLAC support, so I can use external codecs such as LAV filters with it again, as well as 3rd party metadata plugins like WMP Plus? When using the native FLAC support, basic metadata tags for flac files are not...
  9. Windows 10: 9901 has native FLAC support

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10: 9901 has native FLAC support: We knew it was coming and in the latest build of Windows 10 that leaked, FLAC support is now native to the OS. This shouldn't come as a major surprise as Microsoft already teased support for FLAC and now you can test it out for yourself. FLAC stands for 'Free Lossless...
  10. Windows 10: Native MKV support becomes official

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10: Native MKV support becomes official: Last month, not long after Windows 10 9860 was released, Neowin (and its forum users) uncovered that MKV support was natively included with the build. While Microsoft, at that time, had not come forward about the inclusion of the codec, it seemed all but certain that this...