Windows 10: windows 10 win 7 and vista

Discus and support windows 10 win 7 and vista in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have windows vista and 7 on dual boot, same drive . I ask the board if it is possible to install win 10 on an other partion and keep all 3 on the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by vicf1, Mar 8, 2017.

1. vicf1 Win User

windows 10 win 7 and vista

I have windows vista and 7 on dual boot, same drive .
    I ask the board if it is possible to install win 10 on an other partion and keep all 3 on the same drive.
    If it's possible how I will go about.
    thank you for any support

:)

vicf1, Mar 8, 2017

2. Vista to Windows 10

I agree with try 3, this site is not, monitored by microsoft. if you read above many people have bought win 7 with key for aout $ 50.00, then after custom install or upgrade to win 7 and you do all updates for win, 7 you will get win 10 offer to upgrade
    to win 10 for free. also read that it is not possible to upgrade from vista to win 10, you need to go to win 7 first, then upgrade to win 10. although i agree that MS does not appreciate vista users loyalty, since they rolled out win 10 the way they did.
    they could have offered win 7 free to vista users. so they could get wn 10 free after theycustom installed ot upgraded to win 7 from Vista. use you efforts wisely and upgrade to win 7. first to get free win 10.

sandrodiclemente, Mar 8, 2017
  3. Cliff321 Win User
    Recover windows 7 from windows 10 on dual boot system

I have a dual boot system

.Windows 7 ( now 10) was on partition D.IT is not the default start system ,that is partition C,Vista.

I have tried the recover option provided from windows 10.It started ok & the screen went blank as it was intended to do which was when I realised that I had a problem.

Before I installed windows 10.

When I switched the pc on if I just let in run,it started in Vista.If I wanted to run Windows 7 which was almost always,i'd press F8 slowly & get the option of VISTA or Win 7.( I'd kept Vista as back up in case of a possible problems when installing Win.7
    )

Going back to recovering Win 7 from Win 10. When the pc restarts in the recovery process, if I just let it run it will restart in Vista not in Win 7 ( 10 ).I tried pressing F8 but that just stopped the recovery process & restarted Win 10.

I can see that I need to make partition D,currently Win.10 the default,i don't know how to do that.

Having said that,when I start up at the moment,i press F8 & get the option of Vista or Win 10.There it does say that Win 10 is the default option but it can't be because if I turn on the pc & let it run,it starts in Vista.

I'm not tech person so hope that makes sense.

One other thing,when I installed Win 7,it did become the default start system.For a reason I can't remember I had to clean install Vista,it was after this that Vista became the default system.

Cliff321, Mar 8, 2017
  4. cereberus Win User

sure - main problem is you can only have 4 primary partitions in legacy bios install. One way round that is to install Windows 10 in a virtual hard drive!

cereberus, Mar 8, 2017
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    or convert the Windows 7 to a logical drive in an extended partition and then install Windows 10 to another logical drive in the extended partition.

NavyLCDR, Mar 8, 2017
  6. vicf1 Win User
    problem is I don't know how to do it . I would need instructions or by posting steps .
    Sorry I'm learning so what is easy for some people, it's difficult for me

vicf1, Mar 8, 2017
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Mar 8, 2017
  8. AddRAM Win User

First thing you have to do before attempting anything is to post a shot of Disk Management.

Make a snip of the entire drive you want to use and save it to your desktop. Then use the Go Advanced option to post your message, there will be a small paper clip icon at the top of your reply click that to add the snip.

Example

AddRAM, Mar 8, 2017
  9. vicf1 Win User
    I had win 10 pro installed before and no issues. I made a mistake when I chose the partion to install win 7 as dual boot and now I have this problem to reinstall win 10 pro it says NX and removes everything. I don't understand what nx is???????

vicf1, Mar 10, 2017
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    I have no idea what NX is. Never seen it during a Windows 10 install or upgrade. A screenshot/photo would help.

NavyLCDR, Mar 10, 2017
  11. Ztruker Win User
    Ztruker, Mar 10, 2017
  12. vicf1 Win User
    I don't understand because I had win 10 pro installed for a year now, even had the latest version update.
    what I suspect something went wrong when I installed windows 7 ultimate and vista on a double boot.

vicf1, Mar 10, 2017
  13. vicf1 Win User

vicf1, Mar 12, 2017
  14. Ztruker Win User
    Did you download it from the Sysinternals site. You need the latest version, 3.1. Shows me the PAE/NX/SSE2 setting:

Code: Coreinfo v3.31 - Dump information on system CPU and memory topology Copyright (C) 2008-2014 Mark Russinovich Sysinternals - www.sysinternals.com Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3, GenuineIntel Microcode signature: 0000001E HTT * Hyperthreading enabled HYPERVISOR - Hypervisor is present VMX * Supports Intel hardware-assisted virtualization SVM - Supports AMD hardware-assisted virtualization X64 * Supports 64-bit mode SMX * Supports Intel trusted execution SKINIT - Supports AMD SKINIT NX * Supports no-execute page protection SMEP * Supports Supervisor Mode Execution Prevention SMAP - Supports Supervisor Mode Access Prevention PAGE1GB * Supports 1 GB large pages PAE * Supports > 32-bit physical addresses PAT * Supports Page Attribute Table PSE * Supports 4 MB pages PSE36 * Supports > 32-bit address 4 MB pages PGE * Supports global bit in page tables SS * Supports bus snooping for cache operations VME * Supports Virtual-8086 mode RDWRFSGSBASE * Supports direct GS/FS base access FPU * Implements i387 floating point instructions MMX * Supports MMX instruction set MMXEXT - Implements AMD MMX extensions 3DNOW - Supports 3DNow! instructions 3DNOWEXT - Supports 3DNow! extension instructions SSE * Supports Streaming SIMD Extensions SSE2 * Supports Streaming SIMD Extensions 2 SSE3 * Supports Streaming SIMD Extensions 3 SSSE3 * Supports Supplemental SIMD Extensions 3 SSE4a - Supports Streaming SIMDR Extensions 4a SSE4.1 * Supports Streaming SIMD Extensions 4.1 SSE4.2 * Supports Streaming SIMD Extensions 4.2 AES * Supports AES extensions AVX * Supports AVX intruction extensions FMA * Supports FMA extensions using YMM state MSR * Implements RDMSR/WRMSR instructions MTRR * Supports Memory Type Range Registers XSAVE * Supports XSAVE/XRSTOR instructions OSXSAVE * Supports XSETBV/XGETBV instructions RDRAND * Supports RDRAND instruction RDSEED - Supports RDSEED instruction CMOV * Supports CMOVcc instruction CLFSH * Supports CLFLUSH instruction CX8 * Supports compare and exchange 8-byte instructions CX16 * Supports CMPXCHG16B instruction BMI1 * Supports bit manipulation extensions 1 BMI2 * Supports bit manipulation extensions 2 ADX - Supports ADCX/ADOX instructions DCA - Supports prefetch from memory-mapped device F16C * Supports half-precision instruction FXSR * Supports FXSAVE/FXSTOR instructions FFXSR - Supports optimized FXSAVE/FSRSTOR instruction MONITOR * Supports MONITOR and MWAIT instructions MOVBE * Supports MOVBE instruction ERMSB * Supports Enhanced REP MOVSB/STOSB PCLMULDQ * Supports PCLMULDQ instruction POPCNT * Supports POPCNT instruction LZCNT * Supports LZCNT instruction SEP * Supports fast system call instructions LAHF-SAHF * Supports LAHF/SAHF instructions in 64-bit mode HLE - Supports Hardware Lock Elision instructions RTM - Supports Restricted Transactional Memory instructions DE * Supports I/O breakpoints including CR4.DE DTES64 * Can write history of 64-bit branch addresses DS * Implements memory-resident debug buffer DS-CPL * Supports Debug Store feature with CPL PCID * Supports PCIDs and settable CR4.PCIDE INVPCID * Supports INVPCID instruction PDCM * Supports Performance Capabilities MSR RDTSCP * Supports RDTSCP instruction TSC * Supports RDTSC instruction TSC-DEADLINE * Local APIC supports one-shot deadline timer TSC-INVARIANT * TSC runs at constant rate xTPR * Supports disabling task priority messages EIST * Supports Enhanced Intel Speedstep ACPI * Implements MSR for power management TM * Implements thermal monitor circuitry TM2 * Implements Thermal Monitor 2 control APIC * Implements software-accessible local APIC x2APIC * Supports x2APIC CNXT-ID - L1 data cache mode adaptive or BIOS MCE * Supports Machine Check, INT18 and CR4.MCE MCA * Implements Machine Check Architecture PBE * Supports use of FERR#/PBE# pin PSN - Implements 96-bit processor serial number PREFETCHW * Supports PREFETCHW instruction Maximum implemented CPUID leaves: 0000000D (Basic), 80000008 (Extended). Logical to Physical Processor Map: **------ Physical Processor 0 (Hyperthreaded) --**---- Physical Processor 1 (Hyperthreaded) ----**-- Physical Processor 2 (Hyperthreaded) ------** Physical Processor 3 (Hyperthreaded) Logical Processor to Socket Map: ******** Socket 0 Logical Processor to NUMA Node Map: ******** NUMA Node 0 No NUMA nodes. Logical Processor to Cache Map: **------ Data Cache 0, Level 1, 32 KB, Assoc 8, LineSize 64 **------ Instruction Cache 0, Level 1, 32 KB, Assoc 8, LineSize 64 **------ Unified Cache 0, Level 2, 256 KB, Assoc 8, LineSize 64 ******** Unified Cache 1, Level 3, 8 MB, Assoc 16, LineSize 64 --**---- Data Cache 1, Level 1, 32 KB, Assoc 8, LineSize 64 --**---- Instruction Cache 1, Level 1, 32 KB, Assoc 8, LineSize 64 --**---- Unified Cache 2, Level 2, 256 KB, Assoc 8, LineSize 64 ----**-- Data Cache 2, Level 1, 32 KB, Assoc 8, LineSize 64 ----**-- Instruction Cache 2, Level 1, 32 KB, Assoc 8, LineSize 64 ----**-- Unified Cache 3, Level 2, 256 KB, Assoc 8, LineSize 64 ------** Data Cache 3, Level 1, 32 KB, Assoc 8, LineSize 64 ------** Instruction Cache 3, Level 1, 32 KB, Assoc 8, LineSize 64 ------** Unified Cache 4, Level 2, 256 KB, Assoc 8, LineSize 64 Logical Processor to Group Map: ******** Group 0[/quote]

Ztruker, Mar 12, 2017
  15. vicf1 Win User
    I used another tool " cpu-z" . I didn't try to reinstall it since . Before I'll give it another try . I will read some more here, I will poste here my results

vicf1, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. windows 10 win 7 and vista - Similar Threads - vista

2. Is it possible to downgrade Windows Vista 64-bit to Windows XP 32-bit?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it possible to downgrade Windows Vista 64-bit to Windows XP 32-bit?: And if I can't just downgrade, is it possible to do it some other way? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-it-possible-to-downgrade-windows-vista-64-bit/db58e592-acb0-452a-826b-9369cb51a9fa
  3. Is it possible to downgrade Windows Vista 64-bit to Windows XP 32-bit?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is it possible to downgrade Windows Vista 64-bit to Windows XP 32-bit?: And if I can't just downgrade, is it possible to do it some other way? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-it-possible-to-downgrade-windows-vista-64-bit/db58e592-acb0-452a-826b-9369cb51a9fa
  4. ho il codice Key per Vista installato su Acer al momento dell'acquisto, in seguito è stato...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ho il codice Key per Vista installato su Acer al momento dell'acquisto, in seguito è stato...: desidero attivare windows su questo portatile Acer Estensa 5320 E di cui non ho il codice key con cui è stato installato. Mi potete aiutare? grazie....
  5. ho il codice Key per Vista installato su Acer al momento dell'acquisto, in seguito è stato...

ho il codice Key per Vista installato su Acer al momento dell'acquisto, in seguito è stato...: desidero attivare windows su questo portatile Acer Estensa 5320 E di cui non ho il codice key con cui è stato installato. Mi potete aiutare? grazie....
  6. W7 or vista and older OS looks

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    W7 or vista and older OS looks: How can I make my w10 look like idk, w98 or xp or vista or something of the sort submitted by /u/justanotherdogno1 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/1by61mq/w7_or_vista_and_older_os_looks/
  7. I’m trying to install Vista on a Virtual Disk but I can’t select the disk

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I’m trying to install Vista on a Virtual Disk but I can’t select the disk: There’s basically no reaction to my command. I figured the problem might be that the cmd version is too old 6.0.6002. That’s how far I’ve got.Help would be appriciated :...
  8. I’m trying to install Vista on a Virtual Disk but I can’t select the disk

I’m trying to install Vista on a Virtual Disk but I can’t select the disk: There’s basically no reaction to my command. I figured the problem might be that the cmd version is too old 6.0.6002. That’s how far I’ve got.Help would be appriciated :...
  9. Error Code 8024001F windows vista

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error Code 8024001F windows vista: I cannot connect to internet I'm getting Error Code 8024001F windows vista. Pease help ! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/error-code-8024001f-windows-vista/7d6babb3-0e81-4dac-927c-b391253570e1
  10. Error Code 8024001F windows vista

Error Code 8024001F windows vista: I cannot connect to internet I'm getting Error Code 8024001F windows vista. Pease help ! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/error-code-8024001f-windows-vista/7d6babb3-0e81-4dac-927c-b391253570e1