Windows 10: Windows 10. Windows Defender bug since recent update.

Discus and support Windows 10. Windows Defender bug since recent update. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Good evening. Wish to report a new bug (with its software not as in virus or any sort) which has arisen recently with Windows Defender. The bug in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Dino-Army, Feb 3, 2021.

1. Windows 10. Windows Defender bug since recent update.

Good evening.

Wish to report a new bug (with its software not as in virus or any sort) which has arisen recently with Windows Defender. The bug in question is scan times have gone massively long. Use to take 1 hour 30 mins to do a full system scan last week and nothing has changed and now its taking 5 hours+.

My system has 3 SSDs with 500MB/s Read and Write with a M.2 With 2000MB/s Read and Write. And a Hybrid Hard Drive which reads at a steady 150MB/s (I have checked SMART no issues on any)

When the scan first starts its super fast but gets slower and slower and slower. The Drives in taskmanger also show this with the read speed getting slower to which they get to the point where its 0% Read (about 30KB/s). The CPU also shows 0 to 1% ( Ryzen 3900x) from MsMpEng.exe however it does use 432MB of memory.

Now I originally thought something was wrong so I canceled the defender scan (a issue occurred here will post after this sentence ) ran a full Malwarebytes scan and that did the scan perfectly fine and all drives were reading as fast as possible and completed in a timely matter (nothing was found) .

The Issue though when i canceled windows defender scan was it used a ton of disk write from the pagefile.sys it spent about 5 mins writing from that file alone. So I think Windows Defender in one of its recent updates is trying to read all the information and paste it into the Pagefile and then is not dumping it correctly.

I can confirm this after restarting my system and trying a full scan with windows defender again and its super fast at the beginning and then just keeps slowing down to the point its reading at extremely slow speeds.

Edit: Please note reason i did this is due to my windows defender suddenly stopped working today and im quick to react when that type of stuff happens. Upon checking windows defender logs specifically inside of Event viewer it shows a update at that exact time and that various things got changed but it could not start back up. Upon looking at Windows Update the Update was KB2267602 Version 1.331.156.0 .

System specs

Ryzen 3900x
    32GB DDR4 3600
    EVGA GTX 1070TI FTW2
    Windows on one of the SSDs.

Windows 10 2004 build 19041.746

submitted by /u/Dino-Army
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Dino-Army, Feb 3, 2021
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Feb 3, 2021
  3. jsfitz54 Win User
    Windows 10 Anniversary Update Issues

Problems with W10 Anniv auto update:

Mom's: (x58 Xeon 5677) Windows Defender was not turned back on automatically (it was "on" in the 1511 edition) and she had a Trojan. Full system scan to eradicate.
    Her Epson printer was knocked off, had to uninstall by Device Manager pull USB cable and reconnect cable. W10 did the rest.

Step-mom's: (HP pre built) Windows Defender not turned back on by default. Her USB Seagate Expansion Drive 2Tb was offline so all backup routines were halted. Had to rerun backup plan. Had her do a full virus scan.

Step-dad's: (Dell Optiplex tweaked upgrades) Windows Defender not turned back on by default. Full Scan.

jsfitz54, Feb 3, 2021
  4. Windows 10. Windows Defender bug since recent update.

New install Windows 10 (issue solved)

It's good that you're not experiencing any issues. Unfortunately many folks are, a quick Google search will show the same info im offering the OP.

Heres a couple examples:

Here

Here

It's basically what I mentioned above, small issues here and there ,but nothing to end your day.. for the most part.

I know it's anecdotal, but for my experience 95% of the time it's perfectly fine. The issues I've run into wouldn't be enough for me to roll back , but they would be enough (had I not installed it yet) ,to avoid it for another couple weeks which is why I'm suggesting it to the OP

Windows 10 Fall Creators Update problems and complaints
    • Installation problems with the Fall Creators Update
    • Microsoft Edge problems with the Fall Creators Update
    • Drivers problems with the Fall Creators Update
    • Experience problems with the Fall Creators Update
    keep in mind, as of recently, the FCU is installed on 5% of devices roughly.....

jboydgolfer, Feb 3, 2021
Thema:

Windows 10. Windows Defender bug since recent update.

1. Windows 10. Windows Defender bug since recent update. - Similar Threads - Defender bug since

2. No windows updates since 2020? Error on recent

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No windows updates since 2020? Error on recent: I have windows 10 Home 2019 and except for security updates, I have never recieved an update. I keep getting this error 0x80070246. How to fix it?...
  3. Been recently having this bug since the Recent cumulative update.

in Cortana
    Been recently having this bug since the Recent cumulative update.: This bug happens within the search bar where only certain apps will go into the recent search history in the windows search bar. Also, there's this bug where on the top of the search bar it shows 5 moving dots constantly but the search bar works normally. I have done an...
  4. Been recently having this bug since the Recent cumulative update.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Been recently having this bug since the Recent cumulative update.: This bug happens within the search bar where only certain apps will go into the recent search history in the windows search bar. Also, there's this bug where on the top of the search bar it shows 5 moving dots constantly but the search bar works normally. I have done an...
  5. Been recently having this bug since the Recent cumulative update.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Windows 11 recent update icons bug

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 recent update icons bug: I recently updated to Windows 11 and since then i can not see more the Settings icon in the taskbar.I still see it in Windows menu.I'm on a Lenovo Legion 7 16ACHg6....
  7. Windows 11 recent update icons bug

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 recent update icons bug: I recently updated to Windows 11 and since then i can not see more the Settings icon in the taskbar.I still see it in Windows menu.I'm on a Lenovo Legion 7 16ACHg6....
  8. [Bug] Weird Windows Key / Start Menu bug since a recent update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    [Bug] Weird Windows Key / Start Menu bug since a recent update: If I shut down my computer and boot it back up, there is a very high chance of my windows key not functioning, but I'm not sure if it's actually the key itself or if the start menu is bugged as clicking on that doesn't work either. When I open up say the Sound settings from...
  9. No Sound Since Recent Windows Update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    No Sound Since Recent Windows Update: No sound on laptop since recent Windows update last night. This is the second time this has happened. The last time was a year or so ago and I brought my laptop to the store I purchased it from as it was a recent purchase. They fixed it. This time I am trying to fix the...
  10. Poor contrast since the recent Windows update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Poor contrast since the recent Windows update: Can anyone help me because since I updated my laptop about a week ago, the contrast has been really poor and it's difficult to see the boundaries on boxes etc. Does anyone have a solution?...