Windows 10: Windows 10: Windows Defender: Not starting / Intelligence Virus updates not...

Discus and support Windows 10: Windows Defender: Not starting / Intelligence Virus updates not... in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi! Upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 pro, (Now 1903) I got the subject problem and saw no solution after looking for days in Forums... until I... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Antoine Roederer, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Windows 10: Windows Defender: Not starting / Intelligence Virus updates not...

Hi!

Upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 pro, (Now 1903) I got the subject problem and saw no solution after looking for days in Forums... until I found the fix below, which had only helped 3 people. Now it is 4! So vielen Dank Thomas!

Antoine

Thomas von Fäke

Hi @sbeb,

Yes, the solution is a symbolic link to a version of "Windows Defender" installed on your system.

I had a very similar problem than you: after some "Windows Insider Program" updates, "Windows Defender Antivirus Service" didn't start automatically and continuously crash if manually started.

The reason of the problem: "services.msc" indicated that the "Path to executable" for "Windows Defender Antivirus Service" targeted "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Platform\4.14.17639.18041-0", whereas the "Platform" folder only contained folders "4.16.17656.18052-0" (May 30) and "4.18.1806.18062-0" (June 27).

Solution: I create a symbolic link from "4.14.17639.18041-0" needed by "Windows Defender Antivirus Service" to the most recent installed on the computer "4.18.1806.18062-0". Then I successfully manually started "Windows Defender Antivirus Service" and was able to apply every updates.

Steps:

· check needed "Windows Defender Antivirus Service" version in services.msc (line "Path to executable")

· go to "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Platform\" to verify the installed version(s)

· use "Command Prompt" as Administrator

· execute the following command (YOU MUST ADAPT TO YOUR VERSIONS)

MKLINK /D "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Platform\4.14.17639.18041-0" "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Platform\4.18.1806.18062-0"

Bonne chance,

Ciao.

:)

Antoine Roederer, Aug 12, 2019

2. Windows 10 Defender - How to make it default to task bar?

Using Windows 10 and currently I am using Defender for anti virus. For whatever reason Windows Defender does not show up in the task bar unless I search for the program or right click and scan a file/folder. Is there a way to force Defender to show up in the task bar at start up?

Flogger23m, Aug 12, 2019
  3. jsfitz54 Win User
    Windows 10 Anniversary Update Issues

Problems with W10 Anniv auto update:

Mom's: (x58 Xeon 5677) Windows Defender was not turned back on automatically (it was "on" in the 1511 edition) and she had a Trojan. Full system scan to eradicate.
    Her Epson printer was knocked off, had to uninstall by Device Manager pull USB cable and reconnect cable. W10 did the rest.

Step-mom's: (HP pre built) Windows Defender not turned back on by default. Her USB Seagate Expansion Drive 2Tb was offline so all backup routines were halted. Had to rerun backup plan. Had her do a full virus scan.

Step-dad's: (Dell Optiplex tweaked upgrades) Windows Defender not turned back on by default. Full Scan.

jsfitz54, Aug 12, 2019
  4. P4-630 Win User

Windows 10: Windows Defender: Not starting / Intelligence Virus updates not...

SEtting up automatic updates for windows defender on windows 8

I have found this on the internet en have set up a task for automatic definitions update for Windows Defender but a window pops up when this starts to run.
    Is there a way to set this without any window popping up so that it just runs in the background?

Now I'm using
    "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MpCmdRun.exe" -SignatureUpdate -MMPC

I'm currrently using it as described here:
    https://forum.raymond.cc/threads/let-your-windows-8-defender-update-itself-automatically.34359/

P4-630, Aug 12, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10: Windows Defender: Not starting / Intelligence Virus updates not...

1. Windows 10: Windows Defender: Not starting / Intelligence Virus updates not... - Similar Threads - Defender starting Intelligence

2. Security Intelligence Update for Windows Defender Antivirus - KB2267602 is consuming...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Security Intelligence Update for Windows Defender Antivirus - KB2267602 is consuming...: Due to so much (Windows Defender Antivirus )consuming internet data , I cant work anything on web page Please suggest me , what is this process????[ATTACH]...
  3. About Security Intelligence Updates for Microsoft Defender

in Windows 10 News
    About Security Intelligence Updates for Microsoft Defender: If you administrate systems protected by Windows Defender, the default antivirus solution that is included in Windows, you may have noticed that Windows Update downloaded a definitions update called Security Intelligence Update for Windows Defender Antivirus. Windows Update...
  4. Security Intelligence Update for Windows Defender Antivirus - KB22676

Security Intelligence Update for Windows Defender Antivirus - KB22676: Is this new? Just got what I thought was a Defender Definition Update, but the name seems to have changed now to Security Intelligence Update for Windows Defender Antivirus. Same KB number, same numbering sequence, just a name change. Even Reliability History show some with...
  5. Windows Defender Virus and Spyware definitions not updating

Windows Defender Virus and Spyware definitions not updating: Windows Defender update stalling and then not completing. Message says 'Didn't update due to an internet or network connection problem'. Have tried many times over the last few days....
  6. Virus protection on windows defender

Virus protection on windows defender: My virus protection on windows defender will not scan as it states that I am using another provider although I have not subscribed to any other provider . This is a recent occurrence (2 days) . Any ideas?...
  7. Windows defender Virus Protection

Windows defender Virus Protection: I had uninstalled Third Party Antivirus Software after its validy After that I can not able to switch on Windows Defender Virus Protection . It is showing message your virus and protection is managed by your organization Pl help to restore the setting by switching on...
  8. Unable to update Windows Defender Anti-Virus on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to update Windows Defender Anti-Virus on Windows 10: I had to recover Windows 10 on my HP15 Notebook PC several days ago. Since the recovery, Windows Defender Anti Virus will not update. I have tried numerous fixes but still not able to update. Has Anyone else had this problem? Any Suggestions?...
  9. Virus broke Windows Defender & Windows Updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Virus broke Windows Defender & Windows Updates: Hi everyone, Recently I have been struck by a pretty nasty Trojan. It was able to remove all 3rd party anti-viruses which I had installed (Bitdefender & Malwarebytes) and it broke Windows Defender and Windows Updates. After re-installing Malwarebytes it found a...
  10. window defender virus definition update error

window defender virus definition update error: every time i try to update the spyware and virus definitions its popup a message that it couldnt be updated and shows error code: 0x80004004. what should i do?...