Windows 10: Windows 10: Windows Defender: Not starting / Intelligence Virus updates not...

Discus and support Windows 10: Windows Defender: Not starting / Intelligence Virus updates not... in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi! Upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 pro, (Now 1903) I got the subject problem and saw no solution after looking for days in Forums... until I... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Antoine Roederer, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Windows 10: Windows Defender: Not starting / Intelligence Virus updates not...

Hi!

Upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 pro, (Now 1903) I got the subject problem and saw no solution after looking for days in Forums... until I found the fix below, which had only helped 3 people. Now it is 4! So vielen Dank Thomas!

Antoine

Thomas von Fäke

Hi @sbeb,

Yes, the solution is a symbolic link to a version of "Windows Defender" installed on your system.

I had a very similar problem than you: after some "Windows Insider Program" updates, "Windows Defender Antivirus Service" didn't start automatically and continuously crash if manually started.

The reason of the problem: "services.msc" indicated that the "Path to executable" for "Windows Defender Antivirus Service" targeted "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Platform\4.14.17639.18041-0", whereas the "Platform" folder only contained folders "4.16.17656.18052-0" (May 30) and "4.18.1806.18062-0" (June 27).

Solution: I create a symbolic link from "4.14.17639.18041-0" needed by "Windows Defender Antivirus Service" to the most recent installed on the computer "4.18.1806.18062-0". Then I successfully manually started "Windows Defender Antivirus Service" and was able to apply every updates.

Steps:

· check needed "Windows Defender Antivirus Service" version in services.msc (line "Path to executable")

· go to "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Platform\" to verify the installed version(s)

· use "Command Prompt" as Administrator

· execute the following command (YOU MUST ADAPT TO YOUR VERSIONS)

MKLINK /D "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Platform\4.14.17639.18041-0" "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Platform\4.18.1806.18062-0"

Bonne chance,

Ciao.

:)

Antoine Roederer, Aug 12, 2019

2. Windows 10 Defender - How to make it default to task bar?

Using Windows 10 and currently I am using Defender for anti virus. For whatever reason Windows Defender does not show up in the task bar unless I search for the program or right click and scan a file/folder. Is there a way to force Defender to show up in the task bar at start up?

Flogger23m, Aug 12, 2019
  3. jsfitz54 Win User
    Windows 10 Anniversary Update Issues

Problems with W10 Anniv auto update:

Mom's: (x58 Xeon 5677) Windows Defender was not turned back on automatically (it was "on" in the 1511 edition) and she had a Trojan. Full system scan to eradicate.
    Her Epson printer was knocked off, had to uninstall by Device Manager pull USB cable and reconnect cable. W10 did the rest.

Step-mom's: (HP pre built) Windows Defender not turned back on by default. Her USB Seagate Expansion Drive 2Tb was offline so all backup routines were halted. Had to rerun backup plan. Had her do a full virus scan.

Step-dad's: (Dell Optiplex tweaked upgrades) Windows Defender not turned back on by default. Full Scan.

jsfitz54, Aug 12, 2019
  4. P4-630 Win User

Windows 10: Windows Defender: Not starting / Intelligence Virus updates not...

SEtting up automatic updates for windows defender on windows 8

I have found this on the internet en have set up a task for automatic definitions update for Windows Defender but a window pops up when this starts to run.
    Is there a way to set this without any window popping up so that it just runs in the background?

Now I'm using
    "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MpCmdRun.exe" -SignatureUpdate -MMPC

I'm currrently using it as described here:
    https://forum.raymond.cc/threads/let-your-windows-8-defender-update-itself-automatically.34359/

P4-630, Aug 12, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10: Windows Defender: Not starting / Intelligence Virus updates not...

1. Windows 10: Windows Defender: Not starting / Intelligence Virus updates not... - Similar Threads - Defender starting Intelligence

2. Windows 10 MS Defender security intelligence update failed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 MS Defender security intelligence update failed: Cannot update "security intelligence" automatically or manually. Problem started after MS did an automatic update about a week ago. What can I do? See this error message:...
  3. Windows 10 MS Defender security intelligence update failed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 MS Defender security intelligence update failed: Cannot update "security intelligence" automatically or manually. Problem started after MS did an automatic update about a week ago. What can I do? See this error message:...
  4. Windows 10 MS Defender security intelligence update failed

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Windows Defender intelligence updates: consolidate or auto-install?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Defender intelligence updates: consolidate or auto-install?: Hey folks, I have noticed that at least once a day, and sometimes more, Windows Defender gets Intelligence updates (akin to virus definition update). My OCD means that I check for this each day, often more than once. What I want is to never have to do this every day. I will...
  6. windows defender security intelligence update failed

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows defender security intelligence update failed: hi, i try to configure VDI update for windows defender..the definition file was unpack to file server ..i set the folder security to everyone. but the update still failed. Windows Defender Antivirus has encountered an error trying to update security intelligence. New...
  7. Security Intelligence Update for Windows Defender Antivirus

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Security Intelligence Update for Windows Defender Antivirus: Hi, I have these messages in windows update history: Security Intelligence Update for Windows Defender Antivirus KB2267602 Version 1.313.2340.0 Failed to install on 4/25/2020 - 0x8024000b KB2267602 Version 1.313.2261.0 Failed to install on 4/24/2020 - 0x8024000b...
  8. install security intelligence update for windows defender antivirus

install security intelligence update for windows defender antivirus: Everything updates but excepts the security intelligence update for windows defender antivirus why ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/install-security-intelligence-update-for-windows/47270eb3-a230-4d5e-b32f-cc15011a0a34
  9. Security intelligence updates for Windows Defender Outdated!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Security intelligence updates for Windows Defender Outdated!: It's stuck at The latest security intelligence update is: Version: 1.307.2344.0 Released: 1/14/2020 6:47:16 PM https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/defenderupdates But the Change logs still goes on:...
  10. Security Intelligence Update for Windows Defender Antivirus - KB22676

Security Intelligence Update for Windows Defender Antivirus - KB22676: Is this new? Just got what I thought was a Defender Definition Update, but the name seems to have changed now to Security Intelligence Update for Windows Defender Antivirus. Same KB number, same numbering sequence, just a name change. Even Reliability History show some with...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. security intelligence update

2. security intelligence update for windows defender antivirus - kb2267602 (version 1.299.2712.0).