Windows 10: Windows 10 Windows Defender Security Center/Virus and Threat Protection

Discus and support Windows 10 Windows Defender Security Center/Virus and Threat Protection in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Just this week I started receiving notifications that virus and threat protection was turned off. When I checked all the settings under virus and... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by SandraLundy, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Windows 10 Windows Defender Security Center/Virus and Threat Protection

Just this week I started receiving notifications that virus and threat protection was turned off. When I checked all the settings under virus and threat protection were turned off and when I attempted to turn them on I received a pop-up message:

User Account Control

Do you want this app to make changes to your device?

Windows Defender Security

Verified publisher: Microsoft Windows

yes or no

The "no" is selected by default and when I click on yes it takes me back to the settings with the virus and threat protection setting turned off. Any assistance on correcting this is greatly appreciated since I am not a technical person. Thanks

:)

SandraLundy, Dec 5, 2018

2. Cannot turn on Windows Defender virus protection

I had the same sort of symptoms. In the Windows Security Center, under Virus and threat protection, it said "Your virus & threat protection is managed by your organization."

Windows 10 Windows Defender Security Center/Virus and Threat Protection wm5Jc.png

I note you mentioned the Registry Keys under HKLM/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows Defender. Nice spotting, but it seems like there is another key that is causing the problem for some users.

Steps to a solution:

1. Press the Windows key and type "regedit"
    2. On the regedit icon that appears, right-click and select Run as Administrator.
    3. Navigate to the folder located at HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender (You can paste this into the address box at the top of the window, or navigate manually using the side directory structure)
    4. In this folder, there are probably two keys. Right-click and Delete the DisableAntiSpyware key.
    5. Exit regedit, and return to the Windows Defender settings screen (refresh it if necessary). Windows Defender should have the scan options available and working.

Solution adapted from here, with a much more detailed solution here.

MechtEngineer, Dec 5, 2018
  3. Can not access Virus and Threat protection to run defender

Hello,

Open Group Policy snap-in by running gpedit.msc command.

Go to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Defender Security Center > Virus and threat protection.

Set 'Hide the Virus and threat protection area' setting to Not Configured.

Let us know if this helps!

Kapil Arya [Directly], Dec 5, 2018
  4. Windows 10 Windows Defender Security Center/Virus and Threat Protection

Virus & Threat Protection

There are some applications that are not yet compatible Control Folder Access. It is intended to block Ransomware. Until third party apps catch up, the best you can do is to disable it.

Open Windows Defender Security Center

Click Virus & threat protection

Click Virus & threat protection settings

Scroll down to Controlled folder access

Toggle it off

Andre Da Costa, Dec 5, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 Windows Defender Security Center/Virus and Threat Protection

1. Windows 10 Windows Defender Security Center/Virus and Threat Protection - Similar Threads - Defender Security Center

2. Virus/ Threat Protection in Windows Security

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Virus/ Threat Protection in Windows Security: My Virus/ Threat Protection in Windows Security will not load.Circle just spins. Thanks, J https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/virus-threat-protection-in-windows-security/3e8c49f0-f3d3-49c2-ae5d-276fbb032981
  3. virus threat protection on in windows security

virus threat protection on in windows security: why can't I turn virus threat protection on in windows security https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/virus-threat-protection-on-in-windows-security/4b908ecd-e61d-41d4-b711-80cbe629d7d3
  4. Windows Defender Virus & Threat Protection

Windows Defender Virus & Threat Protection: Windows Defender does not run scans or allow me to update settings https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-defender-virus-threat-protection/cada3eda-6c30-472b-a292-40efa4fb820e
  5. Windows security Virus & threat protection.

Windows security Virus & threat protection.: Windows security Virus & threat protection tells me that "Your Virus & threat protection is managed by your organization" Something is wrong since I don't have an organization. Please help...
  6. Windows Security Virus and threat protection

Windows Security Virus and threat protection: Something's wrong with the windows security scanners. Both the quick and full scan is not fully working properly. They only scan up to 49 files not complete the whole job they were designed to do. Once it reaches 49 the notification says the scan is complete. I need to know...
  7. Windows Security Virus and threat protection

Windows Security Virus and threat protection: Something's wrong with the windows security scanners. Both the quick and full scan is not fully working properly. They only scan up to 49 files not complete the whole job they were designed to do. Once it reaches 49 the notification says the scan is complete. I need to know...
  8. Windows Defender Virus and Threat Protection

Windows Defender Virus and Threat Protection: Ransom ware protection says "Setup One Drive" I enter my email and it says your one drive is already synced for that address. Yet Defender still says you need to set up Onedrive for ransomware protection. We have been issued with a ransomware threat from and unknown...
  9. Windows Defender Security - Virus & Threat Protection Problem

Windows Defender Security - Virus & Threat Protection Problem: Hi Microsoft service, I need your help to fix my computer that I had struggle to find why Virus & Threat Protection is not working. I was updated Windows 10 Update. There are some changes to add new feature. Need your help to fix my computer. Regards, Spring...
  10. Windows Defender Security Center Notifies - Virus and Threat Protection : unauthorized...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Defender Security Center Notifies - Virus and Threat Protection : unauthorized...: I have Windows 10 64 bit version 1803 in my Desktop PC. As I recollect from 9/10th December 2018 I am facing an unusual problem which I am narrating below. I have already received more than a dozen such notifications from Windows Defender and I am helplessly viewing those...