Windows 10: Windows 10: Windows Store to support more than modern apps

Discus and support Windows 10: Windows Store to support more than modern apps in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; With the introduction of Windows 10, Microsoft is making some fundamental changes to how its software functions. Beyond bringing back the Start menu,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Oct 4, 2014.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Windows 10: Windows Store to support more than modern apps

Read more...

:)

Brink, Oct 4, 2014

2. Edge does not integrate with the Taskbar for spawning new browser sessions

This is a limitation of the "modern" platform. App store apps can't spawn more than one instance. They can host discreet separate windows frames that look like another instance, but it's not actually doing so.

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Oct 4, 2014
  3. Andrei V. Win User
    Free upgrade to Windows 10

How Windows 10 works in an VM won't give you a real image. This is why I suggested a dual boot. Back to your question, reason 1: overall faster, smother, more responsive. Reason 2: increased security and updated hardware support (for example, Windows 10
    "knows" how to use newer hardware (CPU, motherboard built-in devices, etc) better and more efficiently than Windows 7. See tests on the internet. There are a lot of tests out there.

Reason 3 (for me): the interface. I like Windows 10 interface much more than the one in Windows 7 (graphics, icons, all).

I don't use modern apps or the store either. I do use OneDrive but I've been using it since before Windows 10...

Andrei V., Oct 4, 2014
  4. Windows 10: Windows Store to support more than modern apps

That's going to be interesting to have Desktop apps get the same treatment as modern apps where you can directly download them from the Store. I wonder how licensing will work though...probably will be an updated requirement for those apps.

Also going to be cool to see if they set up the Windows Store kind of like ebay storefronts where you can go through vendors and check their offerings and browse around. It would be REALLY neat if the merged the Xbox Music+Video Stores together into the Windows Store so it's all in one organized place. That I can see happening. Before Windows Phone 8.1, the Windows Phone Store by default had separate categories for the music store and video stores. I wish it were still like that and would go back to that.

Neat!

Coke Robot, Oct 4, 2014
  5. Antique Apps?

Maybe they should change the name of Microsoft Store to Nile.com, Volga.com, or maybe Yangtze.com

Slartybart, Oct 4, 2014
  6. ghostdog Win User
    So they are basically moving everything to the store now? I would have thought that the whole point of Windows Store would be to centralize modern apps for both windows phone and Windows 8/10 modern apps.

ghostdog, Oct 4, 2014
  7. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

I rather dislike the whole "Store" concept -- I suppose then apps will have to have some sort of "official signature" on them or they won't install.

People developing Freeware might be also hideously impacted by this - depending on the up front costs. I'm not sure also how big players like adobe etc will react if they have to insert "a middleman" --the store-- into their own offerings.

I rather think the store will become outdated rather quickly unless it's maintained decently - or it will become 99% junk like the Google play store. Also I don't think we want apps from the store to "auto update" every 5 minutes -- I find that a mega problem with the ANDROID OS on a smart phone - you never know if a decent app is still going to work the next time you use it - or if it even LOOKS the same.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Oct 4, 2014
  8. Windows 10: Windows Store to support more than modern apps

I don't mind the idea of everything in the store

The only thing I hope doesn't happen is that desktop programmes from the store don't have to stick to much stricter rules than the non store versions
    This is what put me off using the store from the fruity company

paulsalter, Oct 4, 2014
  9. Freeware and open sourced software don't cost anything so therefore there aren't any costs to take a cut from. That's currently how it is in the Windows Store.

Coke Robot, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10: Windows Store to support more than modern apps

1. Windows 10: Windows Store to support more than modern apps - Similar Threads - Store support more

2. Cannot open any "modern" Windows 10 apps - "This app does not support the contract...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot open any "modern" Windows 10 apps - "This app does not support the contract...: I've recently had 2 Windows 10 updates and ever since then, opening files with the "modern" Windows 10 apps was impossible. Instead an error message was shown: C:/Users/(username)/Desktop/(file name) "This app does not support the contract specified or is not installed" If I...
  3. Windows 10 Store will not let me have more than 10 computers

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Windows 10 Store will not let me have more than 10 computers: I have purchased around 20 laptops that I am using for a project, to use these computers in any meaningful way, S Modemust be turned off. Otherwise, the computers are absolutely worthless because you cannot install anything on them. To switch out of S Mode, you have to have...
  4. Windows 10 Modern Apps not Running

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Modern Apps not Running: So, I am using Windows 10 Version 1909. When I try to open Modern Windows Apps like the Settings, Microsoft Store, or The Xbox app which are based on the Windows Universal Platform, I get an error from explorer.exe and the message says "class not registered." I need to know...
  5. windows 10 alarm does it support more than one alarm time?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows 10 alarm does it support more than one alarm time?: I've suceeded in creating a single alarm time in the alarm app. Is there a way to have more than one alarm time in effect? Thanks. SweetTasha....
  6. Window 10 mail app doesn't support more than 1 yahoo mails

Window 10 mail app doesn't support more than 1 yahoo mails: I have plenty of mails on the Windows 10 Mail application. All o the work except for yahoo mails. Only one yahoo mail can be there, if more than 1 yahoo mails are existent in the accounts, then all of them go out of sync except the last one you logged in. If you hit "fix...
  7. Modern apps crash (including windows store)

Modern apps crash (including windows store): Hey I'm the owner of a SB. Already a first time my start menu, doesnt appeared I lost a full day + one night to fix the bug, SFC /scannow didnt work neither health restore but I get it worked by this solutionhttp://www.urtech.ca/2015/09/solved-...in-10-minutes/ (seemingly the...
  8. Windows 10 modern apps not working...

Windows 10 modern apps not working...: So, I had a problem this morning regarding the modern apps icons, they were all blank whichever app I ran. Then I tried to fix them following this article: BEST FIX: Windows 10 Store Icon Missing - Appuals.com But, it just made things worse and now I can't even open Windows...
  9. More than Windows Pro....

in Windows 10 Support
    More than Windows Pro....: hi guys, on my main machine, i have a start screen as was on Build 10240. But on the 3 others where Win 10 has been installed i get not the startscreen (when hitting the left corner) but the old fashion side menu one did one or two builds ago. Is this because...
  10. New Windows App Studio Release with Windows 10 Store support and more

in Windows 10 News
    New Windows App Studio Release with Windows 10 Store support and more: The Windows App Studio Windows 10 Store Support Release is now available, allowing you to easily create and publish a universal Windows app in record time with no code required. This release builds on the foundation created with July’s App Studio Windows 10 Preview release....