Windows 10: Windows Store to support more than modern apps

Discus and support Windows 10: Windows Store to support more than modern apps in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; With the introduction of Windows 10, Microsoft is making some fundamental changes to how its software functions. Beyond bringing back the Start menu,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Oct 4, 2014.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Read more...

:)

Brink, Oct 4, 2014
  2. Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP] Win User

Edge does not integrate with the Taskbar for spawning new browser sessions

This is a limitation of the "modern" platform. App store apps can't spawn more than one instance. They can host discreet separate windows frames that look like another instance, but it's not actually doing so.

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Oct 4, 2014
  3. Andrei V. Win User
    Free upgrade to Windows 10

How Windows 10 works in an VM won't give you a real image. This is why I suggested a dual boot. Back to your question, reason 1: overall faster, smother, more responsive. Reason 2: increased security and updated hardware support (for example, Windows 10
    "knows" how to use newer hardware (CPU, motherboard built-in devices, etc) better and more efficiently than Windows 7. See tests on the internet. There are a lot of tests out there.

Reason 3 (for me): the interface. I like Windows 10 interface much more than the one in Windows 7 (graphics, icons, all).

I don't use modern apps or the store either. I do use OneDrive but I've been using it since before Windows 10...

Andrei V., Oct 4, 2014
  4. Coke Robot Win User

That's going to be interesting to have Desktop apps get the same treatment as modern apps where you can directly download them from the Store. I wonder how licensing will work though...probably will be an updated requirement for those apps.

Also going to be cool to see if they set up the Windows Store kind of like ebay storefronts where you can go through vendors and check their offerings and browse around. It would be REALLY neat if the merged the Xbox Music+Video Stores together into the Windows Store so it's all in one organized place. That I can see happening. Before Windows Phone 8.1, the Windows Phone Store by default had separate categories for the music store and video stores. I wish it were still like that and would go back to that.

Neat!

Coke Robot, Oct 4, 2014
  5. Slartybart Win User
    Antique Apps?

Maybe they should change the name of Microsoft Store to Nile.com, Volga.com, or maybe Yangtze.com

Slartybart, Oct 4, 2014
  6. ghostdog Win User
    So they are basically moving everything to the store now? I would have thought that the whole point of Windows Store would be to centralize modern apps for both windows phone and Windows 8/10 modern apps.

ghostdog, Oct 4, 2014
  7. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

I rather dislike the whole "Store" concept -- I suppose then apps will have to have some sort of "official signature" on them or they won't install.

People developing Freeware might be also hideously impacted by this - depending on the up front costs. I'm not sure also how big players like adobe etc will react if they have to insert "a middleman" --the store-- into their own offerings.

I rather think the store will become outdated rather quickly unless it's maintained decently - or it will become 99% junk like the Google play store. Also I don't think we want apps from the store to "auto update" every 5 minutes -- I find that a mega problem with the ANDROID OS on a smart phone - you never know if a decent app is still going to work the next time you use it - or if it even LOOKS the same.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Oct 4, 2014
  8. paulsalter Win User

I don't mind the idea of everything in the store

The only thing I hope doesn't happen is that desktop programmes from the store don't have to stick to much stricter rules than the non store versions
    This is what put me off using the store from the fruity company

paulsalter, Oct 4, 2014
  9. Coke Robot Win User
    Freeware and open sourced software don't cost anything so therefore there aren't any costs to take a cut from. That's currently how it is in the Windows Store.

Coke Robot, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10: Windows Store to support more than modern apps - Similar Threads - Store support more

2. Cannot connect my Epson WF-3640 printer to Win 10 desktop wirelessly

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot connect my Epson WF-3640 printer to Win 10 desktop wirelessly: Need help connecting Win 10 desktop to Epson Wireless printer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/cannot-connect-my-epson-wf-3640-printer-to-win-10/09ecdb17-7fd6-480a-b2b3-63b6f0245881
  3. Error Code 0x80070032 when logging on to Windows using PIN - can only login to windows...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Error Code 0x80070032 when logging on to Windows using PIN - can only login to windows...: Hello All, Thanks in advance for your replies. Yesterday I tried to login to my Dell Inspiron 15 5570 laptop but got error code 0x80070032 with message that went something along the lines of restarting and trying again. However, I was able to logon using my Microsoft...
  4. My laptop lag, freeze, and got blue screen after Windows Update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My laptop lag, freeze, and got blue screen after Windows Update: So I got windows 10 installed on my laptop. It works so smooth like a charm at first. I've successfully installed all the Windows updates, but my laptop getting hotter than usual and then it lag, freeze, and got blue screen randomly after the updates. My laptop is HP P231ax...
  5. I cant upgrade unactivated windows 10 home to pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I cant upgrade unactivated windows 10 home to pro: So i bought a key from a friend who had a spare one, and when i tried to activate it always came it with an error. He told me in order for the key to work, i need to upgrade to pro first. How do i do this? I've tried many methods and nothings worked....
  6. Mouse without Borders stopped working after Windows 10 update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Mouse without Borders stopped working after Windows 10 update: Windows 10 did update, then MWB would not connect as before. I restored using Restore Point, and problem was fixed. After next Update, returned and have not been able to get it to work since (lost Restore Point due to memory not being set high enough.) Have tried deleteing...
  7. Lost icon for volume ,have windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Lost icon for volume ,have windows 10: lost icon for volume for windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start/lost-icon-for-volume-have-windows-10/bd0f9b03-1ba8-4840-acad-6524c018d0a1
  8. Windows 10 Display Scale

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 Display Scale: Hi Folks, To set the scene, I have 2 x Dell 4K monitors, these are great. I used the Nvidia driver to merge them together making a single screen at 7680 x 2160 To make it easier to use word/email and other applications, I go to display settings and set the scaling to 150%...
  9. Windows 10 Pro USB Mouse and Keyboard Failure

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 Pro USB Mouse and Keyboard Failure: I upgraded my Dell Windows 10 Pro two weeks ago to the 8000 Version build and found that my USB Mouse and Keyboard were no longer operational. After several restarts and power downs, did some searching on internet, Found many users having same problems after upgrade, but...
  10. New build confirms Redstone 5 update is Windows 10 version 1809

in Windows 10 News
    New build confirms Redstone 5 update is Windows 10 version 1809: Microsoft is committed to Windows 10 update cycle with two different releases every year, in April and October. So the Redstone 5 update is likely to be finalized in September and it’ll be rolled out to the general public in early October. Obviously, the insiders already have...