Windows 10: Windows 10 - Wingdings bug

Discus and support Windows 10 - Wingdings bug in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; This is actually not a question but i've got a solution to one of the weirdest windows 10 bug which certainly a lot of people are complaining about on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Lonlonlonlon, Feb 29, 2020.

1. Windows 10 - Wingdings bug

This is actually not a question but i've got a solution to one of the weirdest windows 10 bug which certainly a lot of people are complaining about on the windows 10 forums.

Due to most of the Ask threads being locked I decided to post my fixing solution for this problem.

It is a super simple fix i didn't even expected to work.
    It seems that the weird Wingdings font issue is occuring due to an issue where windows 10 is corrupting the font files.
    I just noticed that that most of the standard fonts have been deleted.
    I've actually just installed all the windows 10 standard fonts and everything was back to normal.

So here is how to do it:

1. Go to this page: https://www.w7df.com/

2. Download and extraxt the font package

3. Select all fonts and then press right click and choose install

If you cant see the Install option due to your font being wingdings, it's the first one

Would be interesting to know if this also works for other people.

In most of the other Q/A the fix was to reinstall the distro.

:)

Lonlonlonlon, Feb 29, 2020

2. Black screen printing wingdings with high pitched tone.

Hello,

Black screen printing wingdings with high pitched tone can be due to outdated drivers. This can also be connected to hardware issue. For us to isolate and identify
    if this is a hardware or software issue, we suggest to perform the Windows Hardware Troubleshooter.

To access the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter, follow the steps provided below:

• Type “Troubleshooting” in the Search bar and press Enter.
    • Click on “View All” in the top left corner.
    • This will display the list of troubleshooters which are built-in in the computer. You can click on Hardware and Devices from the list and you can run the troubleshooter.

Let us know if that worked out for you.

Michelle Vil, Feb 29, 2020
  3. Help, Windows 10 system fonts changed to Wingdings

Last night I copied a single font from my Mac to my Windows 10 desktop. I copied the file, right-clicked on it and chose Install. It seemed to work fine, I used the font for a few hours in Photoshop then shutdown and went to bed.

When I booted up this morning all of my fonts were Wingdings or something similar, and my system is basically unusable. I searched the issue and found a bunch of old threads with suggestions. The command prompt is readable and there's hundreds of fonts in
    the C:\Windows\Fonts directory. However, Control Panel\Fonts only shows 3 fonts.

I exported HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\Fonts from a working Windows 10 machine and launched the .reg file on my wingdings machine, but it didn't fix the issue.

So then I copied all the files from c:\windows\fonts on my working Windows 10 machine over to the wingdings machine. It created a ton of duplicates in the fonts directory, but it worked. The system fonts slowly started changing back to the correct ones.
    Boot once I reboot they all go back to wingdings, and Control Panel\Fonts goes back to only showing 3 fonts again. So I can continue copying c:\windows\fonts from a good machine to the wingdings machine which seems to reinstall all the fonts but it also keeps
    creating more and more duplicates and the \fonts directory keeps growing, but it still goes back to wingdings after every reboot.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to reinstall all of my fonts in a way that will persist after reboots? Short of performing a device reset, I'm saving that for the last resort.

Thanks

Jason

Jason Clishe, Feb 29, 2020
  4. Windows 10 - Wingdings bug

Publisher not printing Wingding

Publisher will not print wingding characters even though it has before. Also, text boxes in Publisher are showing up completely black (never did before.) I had an update to my computer, then the problems started. I uninstalled the updates thinking this
    would solve my problem, but it didn't work.

Wingding Regular, 2 & 3 are all in my font list.

The characters print just fine in PDF form, as do the text boxes.

Can someone help me?

Alison Baade, Feb 29, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 - Wingdings bug

1. Windows 10 - Wingdings bug - Similar Threads - Wingdings bug

2. system Font SEGOE FLUENT display in Windows 11 font manager is garbled with strange wingdings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    system Font SEGOE FLUENT display in Windows 11 font manager is garbled with strange wingdings: Look at this screenshot/ when i type something in the example box its all garbled. also the preview box for the font int he previous screen under <fonts> is also garbled. the segmdl font is also garbled. How to fix this? cannot uninstall system font.font cache, font reset...
  3. system Font SEGOE FLUENT display in Windows 11 font manager is garbled with strange wingdings

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    system Font SEGOE FLUENT display in Windows 11 font manager is garbled with strange wingdings: Look at this screenshot/ when i type something in the example box its all garbled. also the preview box for the font int he previous screen under <fonts> is also garbled. the segmdl font is also garbled. How to fix this? cannot uninstall system font.font cache, font reset...
  4. Microsoft Excel WINGDING NOT WORKING - Character Code

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Excel WINGDING NOT WORKING - Character Code: Hello,Every time I type in the PROPER CHARCATER Code IT NEVER EVER enters in the right symbol. I have to keep going to symbols chart finding the symbol and inserting it. How can I fix this? I am using both check mark symbols with character code 252 & 254. When I type this in...
  5. Microsoft Excel WINGDING NOT WORKING - Character Code

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Excel WINGDING NOT WORKING - Character Code: Hello,Every time I type in the PROPER CHARCATER Code IT NEVER EVER enters in the right symbol. I have to keep going to symbols chart finding the symbol and inserting it. How can I fix this? I am using both check mark symbols with character code 252 & 254. When I type this in...
  6. Microsoft Excel WINGDING NOT WORKING - Character Code

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Windows 10 font got changed to some sort of Wingdings/Tetris looking font, not legible

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 font got changed to some sort of Wingdings/Tetris looking font, not legible: [ATTACH] On certain websites and certain applications on my computer the font has been changed? I suspect its some sort of default font mapping that's mapping to this weird alien language looking one. And on this site I noticed the same thing, when I check the inspect the...
  8. Only Wingdings on screen with 2021 update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Only Wingdings on screen with 2021 update: I did the update yesterday on my computer and now all my programs and the my home screen show wingdings only. I cannot access programs and cannot read anything except going to settings. Tried font settings and I can't seem to change anything there. Please help...
  9. Windows 10 won't insert symbols (Wingdings, etc.)

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 won't insert symbols (Wingdings, etc.): My Windows 10 will not allow me to insert symbols (as in "Wingdings"). And when I look in the Fonts folder in Windows, many of the fonts have "greyed out" the "Install" box. Can anyone help me get the use of my symbol fonts back?...
  10. I changed my password, now all my characters on desktop, word etc are all wingding? how to...

in Windows 10 Customization
    I changed my password, now all my characters on desktop, word etc are all wingding? how to...: I changed my password, now all my characters on desktop, word etc are all wingding? how to change to normal https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-changed-my-password-now-all-my-characters-on/9c8c4558-06d8-4cfe-bc31-c0d575132dd8