Windows 10: Windows 10 with Bitlocker: Data recovery unable to read files

Discus and support Windows 10 with Bitlocker: Data recovery unable to read files in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am trying to backup some data out of a bootlooping/non starting Windows 10 system. The drives are encrypted with BitLocker and unlocking with the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by spacefights, Apr 16, 2020.

1. Windows 10 with Bitlocker: Data recovery unable to read files

I am trying to backup some data out of a bootlooping/non starting Windows 10 system.

The drives are encrypted with BitLocker and unlocking with the recovery key worked. I can browse e.g. the C: drive just fine and see all folders and file names. Opening of files within the users document folder e.g. with notepad fails with a "Permission denied" error. Writing new files works flawlessly.

I was then able to takeownership via the takeown command and also change permissions via the icacls command. However, I still see all folders within "Documents" but can neither open via notepad nor copy them to an external usb drive - all I see is "Access denied". Other folders outside of the "Documents" folder are fully accessible without issues. What is special about the "Documents" folder of the user in question?

:)

spacefights, Apr 16, 2020

2. recovery bitlocker blue screen

Hi Rick,

Please follow the suggestions below and check if you are able to boot to your desktop.

• Places to look for your BitLocker key:
      • On a printout you saved. Look in places you keep important papers.
      • Saved on a USB flash drive. Plug the USB flash drive into your locked PC and follow the instructions. If you saved the key as a text file on the flash drive, use a different computer to read the text file.
      • In your Microsoft account. To get your recovery key, go to
        BitLocker Recovery Keys.

• Or ask someone for help:
      • Ask someone with administrator privileges on the same PC to unlock it with their key.
      • If your PC is connected to a domain (usually a work or school computer), ask a system administrator for your recovery key

Hope this helps in resolving the bitlocker recovery keys. Keep us posted on the bitlocker recovery key issues. We are happy to help!

Joy Kemprai, Apr 16, 2020
  3. slim142 Win User
    Data Recovery for Mac (OSX Capitan) ?

Anybody knows of a good data recovery software for mac? Preferably free?

I use Active@ Data Recovery for Windows, but honestly no idea what to use for Mac OSX.

Any suggestions?

slim142, Apr 16, 2020
  4. Windows 10 with Bitlocker: Data recovery unable to read files

Bitlocker data Recovery

hi everyone i have trouble with my toshiba external hard disk that i have locked with bitlocker; i encrypted a toshiba HDD with windows 10 bitlocker, when i was decrypting(turnning off bitlocker) i have unplugged the hdd and plugged it in my new pc and scanned
    hdd with mcAfee antivirus and the antivirus deleted 7 of my files because virus.

then until now my hard disk is not accepting passowrd and recovery key,i'm pretty sure that my password and recovery key is correct i have tried most recovery apps but one of theme is not responding my answer

on of that recoveryes (M3 bitlocker data recovery) is reading my hdd datas but it asks product key and i don't have any product key or bank card to buy it.

i'm from afghanistan there is not available mastercard or any other card to order product key.

please help me and sorry for my bad english.

Zubair Ahmady, Apr 16, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 with Bitlocker: Data recovery unable to read files

1. Windows 10 with Bitlocker: Data recovery unable to read files - Similar Threads - Bitlocker Data recovery

2. BITLOCKER DATA RECOVERY

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BITLOCKER DATA RECOVERY: I have a desktop hard drive and with windows 8 installed. No wifi or data connection. Hard Disk is of 250GB and have 3 partitions on it. Locked one partition by bitlocker using a password. I usually when turned on my computer, unlock the partition manually and when turn it...
  3. BITLOCKER DATA RECOVERY

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BITLOCKER DATA RECOVERY: I have a desktop hard drive and with windows 8 installed. No wifi or data connection. Hard Disk is of 250GB and have 3 partitions on it. Locked one partition by bitlocker using a password. I usually when turned on my computer, unlock the partition manually and when turn it...
  4. Data Recovery in Bitlocker Encrypted Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Data Recovery in Bitlocker Encrypted Drive: Today my home laptop system asked for bit locker password after booting up before login. Bit locker encryption was not enabled by me. However, to make the computer usable, C drive was formatted since there was no critical data in C Drive. However D Drive is still encrypted....
  5. Data Recovery in Bitlocker Encrypted Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Data Recovery in Bitlocker Encrypted Drive: Today my home laptop system asked for bit locker password after booting up before login. Bit locker encryption was not enabled by me. However, to make the computer usable, C drive was formatted since there was no critical data in C Drive. However D Drive is still encrypted....
  6. Data Recovery in Bitlocker Encrypted Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Corrupt HDD + BitLocker + Data Recovery

in Windows 10 Support
    Corrupt HDD + BitLocker + Data Recovery: Hey guys, I have a BarraCuda 500GB 2.5 HDD. The HDD is failing. I checked with HD Tune Pro and it only gets about 2% error scan before it just fails and won't scan anymore. Lots of damaged blocks. The HDD is encrypted with BitLocker. I have the 48 number key. The laptop where...
  8. BitLocker data protection is on but no keys - BitLocker recovery keys

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    BitLocker data protection is on but no keys - BitLocker recovery keys: I had some hardware problem with my laptop and after being fixed I am asked for the BitLocker recovery key. I don't remember if I saved it somewhere. I am looking in the Microsoft account and I can see that the drives are marked as encrypted using BitLocker but I have no...
  9. Windows 10 with BitLocker: AutoUnlock second drive for data recovery

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows 10 with BitLocker: AutoUnlock second drive for data recovery: I have a BitLocker setup where C: is encrypted and D: as well using the same encryption setup. D: is set to auto unlock upon startup and that works well under normal circumstances. I am facing now a data recovery task. Booting Windows 10 into a recovery console allows me to...
  10. Bitlocker partially encrypted my hard drive - password not working - unable to read data.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Bitlocker partially encrypted my hard drive - password not working - unable to read data.: Hi, I attached a removable hard drive with my office laptop. I mistakenly choose to bitlocker encryption. Bitlocker started encryption and stopped at 76%. After waiting for long time I removed it from laptop. After that I tried to read the data using my office laptop and home...