Windows 10: Windows 10 WMS and WU are broken and driving me insane.

Discus and support Windows 10 WMS and WU are broken and driving me insane. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi Everyone, I have been using a PC I built with Windows 10 installed for about 3 years now. I have run into some issues that are making me lose my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by SPC11217, Nov 11, 2018.

1. SPC11217 Win User

Windows 10 WMS and WU are broken and driving me insane.

Hi Everyone,

I have been using a PC I built with Windows 10 installed for about 3 years now. I have run into some issues that are making me lose my mind and rendering my PC unusable at times.

My build: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Spcjr/saved/z9MCJx

The issues that I am experiencing are:
    -Windows Module Installer and Windows Update both load up my CPU with 25%+
    -Whenever I see them active in my task manager they load up my CPU and then eventually freeze my computer, forcing me to restart. This happens very frequently.

I have scoured the internet looking for fixes and so far have done the following:
    -disabling both WMI and WU in the services menu
    -Changing the scheduling for both to only be once a week and at 2AM. This has not changed a thing
    -Completely reformatted my PC
    -Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter 10+ times.
    A note on this one: Some of the time the troubleshooter will tell me it has resolved a potential DB error and that it repaired some of the Windows Update components. It will then start downloading and updating only to break immediately. The most recent time I took a note down and it gave me error code: (0x80073712). The advice to fix that error code is to use the Windows update troubleshooter...

Now Windows is forcing me to update (with the message "Your device is missing important security and quality fixes) and I cannot disable WMS. My PC is essentially useless at this point.

Thanks for the help!

:)

SPC11217, Nov 11, 2018

2. Assign drive letter to WM phone

I dont think you can do what you are trying to do.

The mobile device has control of the installed SD card. You access the SD card from WM.

If you want to put something on to the SD card with WITHOUT using the sync softare, but just drag and drop, you need to remove the SD from the phone, plug it into the PC with a SD card slot, drag and drop, then move the SD back to the card.

If you want to "INSTALL" something onto the WM device, then you need to run a special installer ON THE WM. You cant install from the PC "to" the "SD: drive" directly. Where do you think that would put all the registry settings? In your PC windows registry and not on the WM device! That's why there are special installer files to execute in Windows that use ActiveSync to install onto the WM.

Remember, you cant have two devices competing to use the card at the same time. So if you just want to drag and drop mp3 files... it sounds trivial... but WHO has control of the filesystem? Windows or Windows(mobile)? See. Conflict.

May I politely suggest you RTFM!?!

lemonadesoda, Nov 11, 2018
  3. Frick Win User
    Assign drive letter to WM phone

Hey all.

So I've got an HTC Touch Dual. It's a pretty good phone, running WM 6, and I've bouch a 4GB microSD card. When I connect the phone to the computer the WM Device Center pops up.

Now what I need to do is basicly assign the phone a drive letter. Some PDA programs I want to install (from a CD) need that, and in WinXP it had a drive letter, but in Win7 the phone just shows as a "HTC Touch Dual". Wich means I cannot install that program to it, because I need a drive letter.

Any suggestions, anyone?

Thanks for looking! *Smile Windows 10 WMS and WU are broken and driving me insane. :)

EDIT: Oh, and copy the files directly to the phone doesnt work, there are no install files for the PDA itself.

Frick, Nov 11, 2018
  4. Frick Win User

Assign drive letter to WM phone

I'm tired and mentally confused, so I have no idea what you're saying, i think, but some of it I can answer: Drag and drop works, the adress to the sd card is: Computer\HTC Touch Dual\Lagerkort. It's just that it doesn't have a drive letter, otherwise it functions just like a normal usb drive.

Will see if Dan's words make sense.

EDIT: The only thin I find is something "turn on advanced usb" something something, but it didn't make any difference.

Frick, Nov 11, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 WMS and WU are broken and driving me insane. - Similar Threads - WMS are broken

2. This is driving me insane,

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    This is driving me insane,: [ATTACH] Maximized windows create a bar at the bottom that obscures a portion of the taskbar. Clicking on the taskbar makes it disappear but it's still annoying. Any fix? submitted by /u/Moheron [link] [comments]...
  3. Upload Issue - Driving Me Insane

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upload Issue - Driving Me Insane: Hi All - I will try to be as specific as possible with this issue When trying to upload to vimeo, facebook or youtube from my PC the upload speed skyrockets to 99% or 100% then just stays there. Sometimes it will reset and just do the same. The files do not upload and I have...
  4. Upload Issue - Driving Me Insane

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Upload Issue - Driving Me Insane: Hi All - I will try to be as specific as possible with this issue When trying to upload to vimeo, facebook or youtube from my PC the upload speed skyrockets to 99% or 100% then just stays there. Sometimes it will reset and just do the same. The files do not upload and I have...
  5. Audio issue is driving me to insanity

Audio issue is driving me to insanity: Hello all, I am not sure if this is even an appropriate place to post this problem but I am at my wit's end. Recently I have ran into some audio issues; the system's audio will default back to 50 automatically if I alt tab between applications or switch between my two...
  6. The 2004 update is driving me insane

The 2004 update is driving me insane: First it got stuck in windows update while it was installing. Today I got Windows 10 Update Assistant and it is currently at 99%. It took 6 hours to get here and I'm afraid it's stuck at 99% now. Why can't the process of updating be simple and quick? I don't even know what...
  7. Windows store driving me insane

Windows store driving me insane: Hey guys, So basically, ever since i reinstalled windows 10 version 2004, the store keeps saying that i have 22 app updates, if i select Get updates, they just sit there pending for a week, if i try to force an update, the circle just keeps circling and its driving me...
  8. Constant Updates Driving me insane!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Constant Updates Driving me insane!: Does anyone know if there's a way to force Windows to STOP continually downloading "updates" and re-booting? I deliberately do NOT shut down my PC when I'm done with it... I don't like the long boot times that Windows users have to suffer through, and I especially don't...
  9. Constant crashing driving me insane!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Constant crashing driving me insane!: I am so annoyed that I built this 5,000$ crash machine. I am not exactly tech illiterate, but when I have to learn coding to read dump files to even have a possibility of know what could possibly be wrong, and I spend 8+hrs a day troubleshooting rather than gaming.....I am...
  10. captcha error driving me insane!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    captcha error driving me insane!: I keep getting this message when trying to enter my details in forms that require a captcha - like competition entries...….. Your computer or network may be sending automated queries. To protect our users, we can't process your request right now. For more details visit our...