Windows 10: Windows 10 won't accept another user's (admin) pin, so I cannot change my account from a...

Discus and support Windows 10 won't accept another user's (admin) pin, so I cannot change my account from a... in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; My brother sold me his laptop when he upgraded, because it's still a very nice laptop. His account is the admin, and I have been trying to get in and... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by DotKing, Apr 17, 2019.

1. DotKing Win User

Windows 10 won't accept another user's (admin) pin, so I cannot change my account from a...

My brother sold me his laptop when he upgraded, because it's still a very nice laptop. His account is the admin, and I have been trying to get in and change my account from a standard user to an Admin. Up until now, his pin has worked just fine to help me download and install things, but I finally stopped being lazy and tried to make myself an admin on the computer so I could remove his account entirely. Whenever we try to log in to his account on this computer, though, Windows claims the pin is wrong. We've checked and triple-checked that it's right, he's confirmed that he hasn't changed it, but it still won't work. We tried his password as well, and we have the same problem. He changed his password, we restarted the computer, and nothing has changed. The only account we can access is my standard user account, which doesn't let me access anything that can fix the problem.

It won't accept his pin or password anymore even for admin permissions in my account. This is where my technical aptitude ends. Any suggestions?

:)

DotKing, Apr 17, 2019
  2. Doug399 Win User

After Windows 10 update, signin screen won`t accept my pssword.

Sign-in screen won`t take my password after Windows 10 update on a new HP laptop. I had setup a pin login but now asks for Microsoft password which I wrote down and have used before but will not accept now.

Doug991

Doug399, Apr 17, 2019
  3. phynbarr Win User
    Change User Account Admin rights

you've all been very welcoming and generous. However, your suggestions aren't solving my problem.

why can't I - as sole user of this PC - have admin rights to my own machine?

Windows 10 won't accept another user's (admin) pin, so I cannot change my account from a... [​IMG]

the minute I select Administrator the option to change account type is greyed out.

Perhaps you can't in Windows 10. In that case, it is ridiculous

Thanks again

phynbarr, Apr 17, 2019
  4. Mithin_EJ Win User

Windows 10 won't accept another user's (admin) pin, so I cannot change my account from a...

Can't reset my PIN

Hi SQxAe,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

1. Were there any changes made to the operating system recently?
    2. Is the system connected with Wired or wireless connection?

If you are using wireless connection, I suggest you to plug in to the Ethernet cable and try entering the password. I also suggest you to change the Microsoft password by login to
    login.live.com from other device. Try entering the password through
    on-screen keyboard.

I also suggest you to enable build-in admin account using command prompt from WinRE, follow the below steps, and check if that helps.

Step: Enable built-in admin from WinRE.

1. On the login screen click on the power button at the bottom right corner of the screen.
    2. Hold Shift key and click on restart.
    3. Click on Troubleshoot.
    4. Click on Advanced options.
    5. Click on Command Prompt.
    6. Type the command net user administrator /active:yes and press Enter key.
    7. Once logged in to the built in admin account, try changing the current user account password.

If you are unable to change the password for the account, I suggest you to create a new user account. Follow the steps from the article to create a new user account

Create a local user or administrator account in Windows 10

I also suggest you to refer this article on
    PIN sign-in issues
    , and check if that helps.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Regards,

Mithin_EJ, Apr 17, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows 10 won't accept another user's (admin) pin, so I cannot change my account from a... - Similar Threads - won't accept another

2. Windows 10 won't accept pin# at login

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 won't accept pin# at login: Hello I made a poor selection while trying to trouble shootan issue with a program on my laptop.I tried booting into diagnostic mode using msconfig, and made wrong selections. When it rebooted it would not accept my pin# to login.I cannot boot into command prompt or do any...
  3. Windows 10 won't accept pin# at login

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 won't accept pin# at login: Hello I made a poor selection while trying to trouble shootan issue with a program on my laptop.I tried booting into diagnostic mode using msconfig, and made wrong selections. When it rebooted it would not accept my pin# to login.I cannot boot into command prompt or do any...
  4. Windows 10 won't accept pin# at login

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 won't accept PIN.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 won't accept PIN.: Hello. My computer Windows 10 hasn't been used for a while, and now won't accept my pin. The computer is not hooked up to the internet, and I am at a loss as to what to do. I've tried booting from a USB drive, but I can't get that to work either. Please help....
  6. Cannot log in with another user account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Cannot log in with another user account: I am having the same issue as here. I have reset a laptop with Windows Home 10 v1909 and cannot get it to log in with another user account. I am able to add a Work Microsoft account but I am unable to log in with it. I have to log in with my hotmail account. I have tried the...
  7. How would i prevent another administrator from changing my admin level to user?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How would i prevent another administrator from changing my admin level to user?: I'd like another user on the same computer to still have full permissions for changing settings and running apps, except for user management. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-would-i-prevent-another-administrator-from/ee4ca607-33f0-4caa-8787-ec35e3568d57
  8. Windows 10: How change account from admin into limited user account?

Windows 10: How change account from admin into limited user account?: Hello everybody, I have realized that all the laptops I installed Windows 10 in the last year (several family laptops) are running with Microsoft-Accounts which are Admin-Accounts. Now I read that this is a serious security issue. I would like to change these...
  9. No Admin Access /Cannot change existing user accounts to admin account

No Admin Access /Cannot change existing user accounts to admin account: Hello All, I'm delighted to have found you and after a long day of trying to help myself i am now requiring your much appreciated assistance please!*cry I'm not a techy person at all and am hoping someone can help*Smile Last week my husband purchased a new hp laptop which...
  10. User Account changed from Admin to Guest

User Account changed from Admin to Guest: Dear people of the Tenforums, I could use your advice. On Saturday I decided to give new Windows 10 (it picked Home Edition by itself) a try. Previous version was Windows 7. After a flawless install I have seen that something on my C: partition is using a lot of...