Windows 10: Windows 10 won't activate after reinstall and sees hardware from a different computer

Discus and support Windows 10 won't activate after reinstall and sees hardware from a different computer in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I installed Windows 10 on my laptop when it was free and my Microsoft account was linked to it. I am currently trying to reactivate on that same... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by mikeyhalla, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Windows 10 won't activate after reinstall and sees hardware from a different computer

I installed Windows 10 on my laptop when it was free and my Microsoft account was linked to it. I am currently trying to reactivate on that same machine but it is registered to a desktop that I recently signed into and now my Microsoft account is linked to that PC. I never wanted that PC to be linked and frankly, it never should have and now my laptop is left waiting to be activated.

What's more is that the error states that my laptop was registered with Home edition but I never had Home on this laptop.

To be even more specific, I am a windows Insider and just recently installed a preview release. I couldn't take the bugs so I reinstalled to a more stable release.

:)

mikeyhalla, Nov 8, 2018

2. Activate Windows 10 after a hardware change !

Hi !

I ve just did a hardware change and I reactivated Windows 10 using the Microsoft account ! But I see that Windows 10 still activates on my old hardware !

I was expecting that It won t activate any more on the old hardware ! Can anyone help me ?

102a06fe-59f5-49ec-97a9-adf0bde4606f, Nov 8, 2018
  3. How to reinstall Windows 10 if my computers used the free upgrade from 7 and 8?

Will windows 10 still accept the license keys from 7 and 8 now if I reinstall my computer?

Does Microsoft keep a list of users who upgraded to Win 10 using their 7 and 8 keys so that when users need to reinstall windows 10 the old keys would work?

Do I need to call in Microsoft to ask them to activate my Windows 10 when I give them my win 7 keys?

Both computers are laptops. The windows 7 machine had the serial printed on the back, and I needed to enter that when I upgraded to 10. The windows 8 machine had the serial built in inside its boot system so I didn't need to enter the key when I upgraded to 10, but I did manage to write down the keys using a fetcher program.

JebusPrime, Nov 8, 2018
  4. Windows 10 won't activate after reinstall and sees hardware from a different computer

Reinstalling Windows 10, different computer

Windows 10 Digital License

When you upgraded from a previous version of Windows or receive a new computer preinstalled with Windows 10, what happened is the hardware (your PC) will get a digital entitlement, where a unique signature of the computer will be stored on Microsoft
    Activation Servers. The Windows 7 or Windows 8 genuine license you were previously running will be exchanged for a diagnostics key.

Anytime you need to reinstall Windows 10 on that machine, just proceed to reinstall Windows 10. It will automatically reactivate. You will prompted to enter a product key a couple times through the installation, click I don't have
    a key and Do this later.

There is no need to know or get a new key, but if you have issues with Digital Licensing or the Activation Troubleshooter, you can utilize an existing Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 product key you already own to
    reactivate if necessary. or use the reset function in Windows 10.

Activate Your Windows 10 License via Microsoft Chat Support

Reinstall by Performing a Direct Clean Install

If Windows 10 was already installed and activated on your system, just proceed to perform a direct clean install as described in the following articles.

Step 1: How
    to download official Windows 10 ISO files

Step 2:

Andre Da Costa, Nov 8, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 won't activate after reinstall and sees hardware from a different computer

1. Windows 10 won't activate after reinstall and sees hardware from a different computer - Similar Threads - won't activate reinstall

2. Windows 11 not activating after reinstalling after changing hardware

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 not activating after reinstalling after changing hardware: I built a new PC about 2 months ago installed/activated windows 11 but had some issues with the drive.After taking out the storage putting in a new ssd and installing the same copy of windows I cannot activate it. I have been through the troubleshooter countless times saying...
  3. Windows won't activate after moving from a VM on the same Hardware

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows won't activate after moving from a VM on the same Hardware: I recently upgraded my PC hardware. At the same time I went from windows 10 on my old hardware to windows 11 on my new hardware.I uninstalled my license key from my old PC using slmgr /upk.Then on my new PC I ran Windows 11 in a Virtual Machine inside of Linux. In that...
  4. Windows won't activate after moving from a VM on the same Hardware

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows won't activate after moving from a VM on the same Hardware: I recently upgraded my PC hardware. At the same time I went from windows 10 on my old hardware to windows 11 on my new hardware.I uninstalled my license key from my old PC using slmgr /upk.Then on my new PC I ran Windows 11 in a Virtual Machine inside of Linux. In that...
  5. Windows 10 won't activate after hardware upgrade

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 won't activate after hardware upgrade: I've recently changed my motherboard and CPU, both things I have done before without problem, however this time my Windows is saying that I have not activated Windows. I cannot find my Product key, I bought Windows for this PC years and years ago. I've run through the...
  6. Windows 10 won't activate after hardware change

Windows 10 won't activate after hardware change: I recently did a full hardware change on my computer except for my hard drive, and Windows 10 says it is not activated. I got this computer over 5 years ago and upgraded to Windows 10 when it was available. Is there a way to fix this?...
  7. Windows 10 won't activate after hardware change

Windows 10 won't activate after hardware change: After buying a new motherboard, cpu and ram and struggling to get it set up on windows 7 not realizing that it wouldn't run the 3.2 USB ports I eventually tried upgrading to Windows 10. The upgrade wouldn't work for some reason, so after more fighting with it to format my SSD...
  8. Windows 10 won't reactivate after hardware change/reinstall

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 won't reactivate after hardware change/reinstall: Hello, I recently upgraded my motherboard and cpu on my pc. I followed the instructions to activate Windows 10 after a hardware change, however when picking the device on my pc via the troubleshooter to activate, it only shows my desktop with the previous motherboard....
  9. Windows 10 pro won't activate after a hardware change.

Windows 10 pro won't activate after a hardware change.: Hello all. Recently my motherboard died and I had a shop replace with a fresh board of the exact same model. After a while of using the PC again I noticed the ''activate windows 10'' watermark showed up in the corner. So I go to the security screen, troubleshoot and...
  10. Windows 10 Pro won't activate after Hardware change

Windows 10 Pro won't activate after Hardware change: I have changed most of the Hardware in my PC and I knew it was bound to happen that Windows is going to throw a fit I found a guide that said to just troubleshoot it and to specify that a Hardware change has happend. There is no such button for me there. [ATTACH][ATTACH]...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 wont activate after reinstall