Windows 10: Windows 10 won't boot after adding second drive

Discus and support Windows 10 won't boot after adding second drive in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Recently, I transferred the hard drive from my laptop to my PC to use as a second drive. Now, when I try to turn the PC on, it won't boot. In order... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by JHocking, Jan 13, 2021.

1. JHocking Win User

Windows 10 won't boot after adding second drive

Recently, I transferred the hard drive from my laptop to my PC to use as a second drive. Now, when I try to turn the PC on, it won't boot. In order for me to boot the PC, I need to remove the second drive, turn of the PC then after it is fully booted, plug the second drive in.

Drive 1: SSD with Windows 10 OS

Drive 2: HDD for other files

Both drives are internal, connected using SATA cables.

What I did:

1.Turn on PC

2. Plug in second drive after it booted

3. Formatted the second drive to remove operating system.

4. Turned off PC

5. Turned on PC, but it wouldn't boot

6. Turned off PC and unplugged second drive

7. Turned on PC and it successfully booted

8. Plugged in second drive, enabling me to access the drive

How do I fix this, so that I don't have to unplug the second drive every time I want to start my computer?

:)

JHocking, Jan 13, 2021

2. windows 10 home x64 won´t recognize my second xeon

I have a dual xeon computer (xeon e5620). I upgraded this week to Windows 10 home and now my pc won´t recognize my second processor. Any help? Thanks in advance.

Vitor RF Rodrigues, Jan 13, 2021
  3. sttubs Win User
    Windows 10 boot drive

Is Windows 10 also limited to a max of 3Tb for a boot drive?

sttubs, Jan 13, 2021
  4. Jborg Win User

windows 10 slow boot

I was having a slow boot issue on my Windows 7 install a little while back. It would take about 30 - 40 extra seconds to boot up for whatever reason.

I would try following these steps, while this didn't solve my issue, it did increase Read/Write to where it should be.

10 Tips for SSD Optimization in Windows 7 - Part 1

Looks to be similar to this: SSD Optimization for your Windows Gaming PC and Tips and Tricks

In the end, I had to reinstall my Windows 7 entirely to fix the booting issue. It was taking around 35 seconds to boot, and after the fresh install it takes about 7 seconds to boot.

Jborg, Jan 13, 2021
Thema:

1. Windows 10 won't boot after adding second drive - Similar Threads - won't boot adding

2. Windows 10 won't boot after second drive install

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 won't boot after second drive install: I have a 1tb m.2 with windows 10 and I was creating a sata ssd for my friend. I went through the normal process, the USB, setup, chose the correct disk and it worked perfectly fine, but now it recognizes my main drive as the second one and bios recognizes it as a bootable...
  3. Windows 10 won't boot after second drive install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 won't boot after second drive install: I have a 1tb m.2 with windows 10 and I was creating a sata ssd for my friend. I went through the normal process, the USB, setup, chose the correct disk and it worked perfectly fine, but now it recognizes my main drive as the second one and bios recognizes it as a bootable...
  4. Windows 10 won't boot after second drive install

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Why won't windows boot after adding a new ssd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why won't windows boot after adding a new ssd: I have windows 11 installed on an m2 I bought a new ssd and added it as my 3rd drive swapped out a hdd and now windows won't boot. In bios none of my drives were found. If I turn on csm they'll show up but still won't boot windows. The machine worked fine up till now. Any...
  6. Why won't windows boot after adding a new ssd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why won't windows boot after adding a new ssd: I have windows 11 installed on an m2 I bought a new ssd and added it as my 3rd drive swapped out a hdd and now windows won't boot. In bios none of my drives were found. If I turn on csm they'll show up but still won't boot windows. The machine worked fine up till now. Any...
  7. Windows 2019 Server won't boot after adding a HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 2019 Server won't boot after adding a HDD: I've had this issue before. I have a clean install of WIndows 2019 Server on a HP Proliant Gen8 Microserver.I installed it with just a SSD.I then powered it off and added a HDD which is GPT and NTFS formatted with data on it. But it won't boot afterwards and gives...
  8. Adding a second SSD and making it the primary and boot drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Adding a second SSD and making it the primary and boot drive: Unsure if this is the best place but I am trying to figure out how to best configure my storage for my Laptop. It has 2 NVMe Slots. Originally came with 500GB drive Added my own 1TB WD drive to empty NVME Slot Very little data on the original drive, most are in one...
  9. Computer will not boot after adding second HDD

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer will not boot after adding second HDD: I added a new HDD to my desktop. My computer started fine, but did not pick up the new HDD, so I restarted my computer. However, it did not boot. I disconnected the new HDD, but it is still not booting. I keep coming to this screen. [img] I tried solving the issue using...
  10. Windows won't boot after adding second graphics card or enabling iGPU

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows won't boot after adding second graphics card or enabling iGPU: Here is my system info: Windows 10 pro 64 - ver 1809 - build 17763.195 i7-8700 Asus Prime Z390-A motherboard 64GB (4x16) Ripjaws V series DDR4 2666 CL15 2 x ADATA XPG SX6000Pro 512GB PCIe Gen 3x4 M.2 2280 NVMe drives (RAID 1) PNY Quadro P2000 graphics card PNY Quadro...