Windows 10: Windows 10 won't boot after clone to SSD

Discus and support Windows 10 won't boot after clone to SSD in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi, I recently bought a new Dell Inspiron 7559 laptop, and installed an SSD in the computer's m.2 port. I then cloned the existing HD to the SSD,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by jc175, Mar 26, 2016.

1. jc175 Win User

Windows 10 won't boot after clone to SSD

Hi,

I recently bought a new Dell Inspiron 7559 laptop, and installed an SSD in the computer's m.2 port. I then cloned the existing HD to the SSD, changed the SSD to the default boot in BIOS, and then re-formatted the HD.

Everything worked fine for the first few days - I restarted the computer a lot, as I was updating a lot of drivers - however at some point the computer started failing to reliably boot. The Dell logo appears, and then nothing happens. Interestingly enough I can workaround the issue by booting from a USB that has Windows 10 installation on it, and then cancelling the install, which boots through to Windows without issues, but otherwise it just hangs on the Dell logo.

I've got a feeling that the problem lies in my Bios settings - I tweaked these a little when changing the boot order, and here's how they look at the moment:

Intel Speedstep - Enabled
    Virtualisation - Enabled
    VT for Direct I/O - Enabled
    Integrated NIC - Enabled
    USB Emulation - Enabled
    USB Powershare - Enabled
    USB Wake Support - Disabled
    SATA Operation - AHCI
    Adapter Warnings - Enabled
    Intel Software Guard Extensions - Disabled
    BIOS Recovery from Hard Drive - Enabled

No passwords set
    Computrace - Deactivated
    Firmware TPM - Enabled

Boot List Option - UEFI
    Secure Boot - Disabled
    Load Legacy Option Rom - Disabled

Boot Option 1 - SSD (C:\EFI\Boot\bootx64.efi)
    Boot Option 2 - Windows Boot Manager
    Boot Option 3 - Windows Boot Manager
    Boot Option 4 - Onboard NIC (IPV4)
    Boot Option 5 - Onboard NIC (IPV6)

The other thing I've tried is to run Startup Repair, which failed. Here's the log:

Startup Repair diagnosis and repair log
    ---------------------------
    Number of repair attempts: 1

Session details
    System Disk =
    Windows directory = C:\Windows
    AutoChk Run = 0
    Number of root causes = 1

Test Performed:
    Name: Check for updates
    Result: Completed successfully. Error code = 0x0
    Time taken = 0 ms

Test Performed:
    Name: System disk test
    Result: Completed successfully. Error code = 0x0
    Time taken = 78 ms

Root cause found:
    A hard disk could not be found. If a hard disk is installed, it is not responding.

Is there an obvious solution here, or is this something that would be best served by a reinstall? I've no idea why startup recovery doesn't detect the hard drive if the install workaround allows the computer to boot as normal.

:)

jc175, Mar 26, 2016
  2. Ivy336289 Win User

Windows 10 Installed on Wrong Drive

you can directly
    clone windows 10 hard drive to SSD
    . To successfully clone windows 10 hard drive to SSD, you need to pay attention to the following things:

1. before you start to clone, you need to take out extra hard drive. This can avoid your cloning windows 10 on the wrong drive.

2. after you clone, you need to install your SSD on the location of HDD and change boot order via BIOS.

Ivy336289, Mar 26, 2016
  3. YuanSR Win User
    Move Windows 10 from installed hdd to installed ssd

Get a disk cloning software and do the cloning job, from HDD to SSD on PC.

Change boot priority to cloned SSD in BIOS or remove HDD to test if you can boot up successfully.

Cloning method is safe but still it is good to create a backup image for your Win10 before you start.

For detailed steps with screenshots, you may need:
    migrate Windows 10 to SSD without data loss

YuanSR, Mar 26, 2016
  4. lmaneke Win User

Cloning from a HDD to a SSD, or M.2, can cause issues, because it is best to clone a drive, when you are coping to another same model hard drive. In your case, it may not be booting to the SSD due to a number of factors.

I've used the System Image software that comes with Windows, and I haven't had any troubles when restoring an image to another hard disk. I used to work for a school and would clone hard disks for every PC due to every computer being the same model, however, some of the cloning didn't work correctly, especially in computers that were the same model, but had different hardware. The system would bluescreen every time. Installing a clean copy of Windows fixed the issue.

Going from a HDD to the M.2 drive may be to big of a change to where it's possible the UEFI is reading it as an inaccessible boot device, especially if the M.2 drive uses a different protocol for connecting to the Motherboard.

If you can successfully boot again, I suggest you back up your data and reinstall Windows.

lmaneke, Mar 27, 2016
  5. lmaneke Win User
    Also, if the M.2 drive is smaller than the original HDD, that can cause issues.

Let's also hope your new M.2 drive isn't failing

lmaneke, Mar 27, 2016
  6. jc175 Win User
    Hi Imanake - I've recently changed the boot order in the BIOS so that it's loading from "Windows Boot Manager" rather than the direct path to bootx64.efi on the SSD, which seems to have fixed things. Is this likely to have been the root cause or do you think there is something else going on here?

jc175, Mar 27, 2016
  7. Hi jc175
    The difference of MBR and GPT may also lead to the result of boot failure. If you clone the HDD with MBR type to the SSD with GPT type, the system might cannot active the SSD disk. You can simply convert the GPT disk to MBR disk with AOMEI Partition Assistant. It is free for Windows 10.
    Best.

teresawang, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 won't boot after clone to SSD - Similar Threads - won't boot clone

2. PC won't boot with cloned ssd

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    PC won't boot with cloned ssd: Hi guys, I purchased a new 2TB NVME SSD to replace the 525GB one that is currently in the PC. I've tried both clonezilla and Acronis 2014 I have a license for that version and both do the same thing.When I swap the drive in the PC acts like it's going to boot but sits with...
  3. SSD Cloned but won't boot

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    SSD Cloned but won't boot: Greetings, I am trying to upgrade my laptop SSD into a larger size NVME. After looking up how to do that, I used Macrium Reflect to clone my old SSD into the new one. I then replaced the old SSD with the new, but it did not boot. I checked this forum here and found a common...
  4. Cloned SSD won't boot

Cloned SSD won't boot: Hi, Apologies for this post, as I can see that many others have had this problem and have been given solutions, but the fix often involves writing some code in the command line and I'm not too familiar with this so don't want to try it without some help telling me what to...
  5. Cloned SSD won't boot

Cloned SSD won't boot: Hi, I cloned my HDD to an SSD I added to an M2 slot, but it won't boot. I have followed various guides to troubleshooting this without success. I've changed the boot order in the BIOS and checked it's in the right mode. I tried booting from a USB and using the Windows auto...
  6. Cloned/Restored SSD won't boot

Cloned/Restored SSD won't boot: Hi, I wanted to migrate entirely from my current boot drive (Samsung 950 EVO m.2 256 GB) to a newly purchased drive that I want to use a my boot drive (Samsung 980 PRO m.2 1TB) I first tried cloning with Macrium Reflect, not realizing the destination drive needed to be...
  7. Cloned SSD Won't boot

Cloned SSD Won't boot: I have recently purchased a 1tb MX500 Crucial SSD with the intention to make it my main boot drive and use my current HDD as extra storage. I connected the SSD to my PC using another SATA data and power cable. I proceeded to clone through Acronis and everything seemed to be...
  8. SSD won't boot after clone

SSD won't boot after clone: Hi all, I have cloned several SSDs in the past without trouble, but this time I am stuck. I cloned the original Toshiba hard drive using Macrium Reflect to a new Samsung SSD. And it appeared to clone everything correctly. I then powered off my computer and swapped out the...
  9. Cloned SSD won't boot

Cloned SSD won't boot: HP 17-G153US Laptop Windows 10 EaseUS Partition master 14 used to clone Here is a shot from EaseUs and my device manager. My cloned SSD wont boot when installed but will from usb connection. I have cloned hard drives without this much trouble in the past. Any help or...
  10. HDD Clone To SSD Won't Boot After A Week...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    HDD Clone To SSD Won't Boot After A Week...: I recently cloned the hard drive in my cousin's computer over to an SSD. The computer booted just fine on the first try with the SSD. I ran some updates and got rid of some startup programs she didn't need. She got it back a couple of days later and it was running fine....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 wont boot after drive clone

2. windows 10 wont boot after clone

3. dell inspiron windows 10 cloned ssd wont boot

4. why wont my pc boot from ssd,
  5. dell windows 10 clone ssd efi boot,
  6. cloned with secure boot wont boot pavillion 23,
  7. Windows 10 wont boot after clone to SSD