Windows 10: windows 10 wont boot after i restored an Image to a new nvme drive

Discus and support windows 10 wont boot after i restored an Image to a new nvme drive in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; to a Nvme Samsung 970 plus my windows 10 was Installed on my old 850 evo I created an image with Macrium reflect free after I finished Installing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by yafatana, Feb 9, 2020.

1. yafatana Win User

windows 10 wont boot after i restored an Image to a new nvme drive

to a Nvme Samsung 970 plus
    my windows 10 was Installed on my old 850 evo I created an image with Macrium reflect free after I finished Installing windows and all of my programs on it
    now I installed a new Samsung Nvme 970 plus and I used Macrium to restore the Image to it restore was completed
    then I went to my Gigabyte bios and set boot option to windows boot manager which it was the only boot drive there
    but windows wont boot it keeps restarting
    I then restored the same image to my old Samsung 850 evo and now windows boot without any problems
    but why it wont boot from my nvme drive ?
    do I need to reinstall windows on the nvme drive ?
    my bios is set to legacy only
    but when I checked msninfo32 and it said I have the Uefi version of windows

:)

yafatana, Feb 9, 2020

2. Installing new NvMe drive and using it as primary boot runnig windows 10

Hello,

I have a preinstalled windows 10 along with 30+ apps(both from manufacturer and third party) running on my desktop. I recently bought the Samsung 960 evo NvMe drive and would like to use it as my new boot drive. I know that I have to create a bootable usb
    drive, disconnect all other SSD/HDD, leave only the NvMe drive, install windows on it and then reconnect all the drives back.

I would like to understand how I could create an ISO image of my preinstalled windows 10(along with all the updates, hardware drivers and apps) and make a bootable USB out of it. Is it possible? if so, could anyone list the steps needed or point me to a
    thread or post online? Thank you.

SusheelPalkamsetti, Feb 9, 2020
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Restoring Windows 10 Image using Macrium Reflect

In addition to the above. Here's my suggestion in step by step.
    I assume you have Macrium Installed in your current HD and already made a backup copy.
    1. Connect your new HD via USB port and boot up.
    2. Run Macrium, click on Restore tab then select the Backup Image that you made to restore
    3. click on "select a different target disk" then select your new HD as destination

windows 10 wont boot after i restored an Image to a new nvme drive [​IMG]
    4. Proceed to restore then Shutdown and disconnect the old HD and replace with the new HD
    5. Boot up with your new HD.

topgundcp, Feb 9, 2020
  4. windows 10 wont boot after i restored an Image to a new nvme drive

Restored image will not boot

Having a really weird and annoying problem. I'm running Windows 10 Pro and my boot device is a Samsung Pro 950 512GB M.2 NVME SSD. It's been running great through many Windows 10 upgrades. I'm currently running the latest 1903 version. I'm starting to
    run out of room on the C drive so I purchased a new Samsung Pro 970 1TB M.2 NVME SSD. No matter what I try I cannot seem to get a clone or restored image of my boot drive to work. Every time it boots it gets the spinning circles for about a minute and then
    the circles freeze and nothing happens or sometimes it reboots and does same thing. Sometimes it's the windows logo above the spinning circles and sometimes it's still the ASUS logo. Disabling fast boot was able to see the message, "A required device isn't
    connected or can't be accessed".

windows 10 wont boot after i restored an Image to a new nvme drive 3589252b-3d04-4f90-af9f-764b34674bf5?upload=true.jpg

Here's what I've tried so far.

1) Used Easeus Todo Backup to clone my disk 0 to the new drive via USB 3.1 NVME enclousre while booted up. Then swapped out the drives.

2) Used Easeus Todo Backup to first image the disk 0 drive to an image file, then swapped out the drives and used the easeus recovery disk to boot and restore the image to the new drive.

3) Used Windows Backup and Restore to create an image then after swapping drives used the Windows recovery CD to boot and then restore to the new drive.

4) Tried swapping drives and installing Windows 10 to the new drive and after installing Windows 10 on the new drive, booting from windows rescue CD and restoring the windows image file.

All of these resuled in the same issue.

I also verified that the partition structure is the same on original and restored drives. The restored drive of course has extra unallocated space.

Running the windows troubleshooting console I tried using the bootrec commands.

bootrec /fixboot would give "access denied" even though I was in administrator console.

bootrec /scanos would show it only recognized \windows.old as an installation. I could see all the files on the drive and the normal \windows folder was there.

I would really like to avoid re-installing Windows as I have so many applications and configuration setups.

My goal is to be able to restore to the larger drive and then expand the C partition to use the larger drive once it boots. And also to have peace of mind that taking the time to image my C drive is worth it in that I can actually restore it if anything
    ever went wrong in the future.

DigitalMan2112, Feb 9, 2020
Thema:

windows 10 wont boot after i restored an Image to a new nvme drive

1. windows 10 wont boot after i restored an Image to a new nvme drive - Similar Threads - wont boot restored

2. cloned image wont boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cloned image wont boot: Hi,so a lot of 'mea culpa's' here - i know I have done a few things wrong and really should have created a boot disk/recovery disk..... but i didn't.i used macrium reflect to create an image of my hard drive - then restored this image to a new drive .however i messed up and...
  3. cloned image wont boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    cloned image wont boot: Hi,so a lot of 'mea culpa's' here - i know I have done a few things wrong and really should have created a boot disk/recovery disk..... but i didn't.i used macrium reflect to create an image of my hard drive - then restored this image to a new drive .however i messed up and...
  4. Installed new Nvme drive - cloned windows 10 to it but it won't boot

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Installed new Nvme drive - cloned windows 10 to it but it won't boot: Hi My Motherboard a X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING-CF has two Nvme sockets but i want to add a third 1TB Nvme ssd. So I bought a Sabrent adapter card and a new 1TB WD black Nvme ssd. I added the new Sabrent adapter with the new WD 1TB in and cloned the windows system to it. I then...
  5. INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE after restoring 256GB M.2 SATA image to 1TB NVMe

INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE after restoring 256GB M.2 SATA image to 1TB NVMe: So my Asus Q406D 2 in 1 laptop came with a 256GB M.2 SATA SSD, and I want to upgrade it to 1TB. I have a 1TB NVME PCIe Gen 3x4 that was in my Dell that died so I want to put that drive in it. I used Macrium Reflect to make an image of the SATA SSD, I swapped the SATA out for...
  6. Restore Disc Image for new System Drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Restore Disc Image for new System Drive: Background Old HDD is running Windows 10. Used Macrium Reflect to IMAGE to external drive. Now I want to use Macrium Reflect to restore to new SSD. My uncertainty: It looks like my current C: (HDD) is System Reserved (MBR) - see attached. Not really an issue, but I just want...
  7. Restore Disc Image for new System Drive

Restore Disc Image for new System Drive: Background Old HDD is running Windows 10. Used Macrium Reflect to IMAGE to external drive. Now I want to use Macrium Reflect to restore to new SSD. My uncertainty: It looks like my current C: (HDD) is System Reserved (MBR) - see attached. Not really an issue, but I just want...
  8. Restore System Image to new NVMe drive

Restore System Image to new NVMe drive: Subject about says it all. After I get my PC and Win 10 to recognize the new drive will a basic System Restore to the new drive succeed? Old SSD and new NVMe both about 500 gig. About 175 gig free on old SSD. Thanks, Terry...
  9. How to restore Windows 10 system image to a new hard drive?

How to restore Windows 10 system image to a new hard drive?: How to restore a Windows 10 system image to a new hard drive? Re-ask: I want to shift my operating system to a new disk. I have the system image on an external HDD. I have the new disk installed in the computer. C: is disk 0 and the new disk is disk 1. the new disk is...
  10. Restored image will not boot

Restored image will not boot: Having a really weird and annoying problem. I'm running Windows 10 Pro and my boot device is a Samsung Pro 950 512GB M.2 NVME SSD. It's been running great through many Windows 10 upgrades. I'm currently running the latest 1903 version. I'm starting to run out of room on the C...