Windows 10: Windows 10 won't boot after installing 2nd HDD

Discus and support Windows 10 won't boot after installing 2nd HDD in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, So i have an MSI B450M Mortar Max mobo with a Kingston A2000 1TB NVME SSD, and i want to add an external 2TB HDD. But when i plug it in and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by TimFleskes, Jun 10, 2020.

1. Windows 10 won't boot after installing 2nd HDD

Hello,

So i have an MSI B450M Mortar Max mobo with a Kingston A2000 1TB NVME SSD, and i want to add an external 2TB HDD. But when i plug it in and try to start the pc it wont go past the boot logo. If i unplug it and plug it in while the pc is on it shows up as a normal HDD and i can put files on it. But if i then try to shutdown the pc or restart it, it gets in an infinite loop. So basicly i cant start the pc with the HDD plugged in but i can start it without and then when its loaded in i can connect it but then i can't close the pc.

Is there a fix for this?

Kind regards,

Tim

:)

TimFleskes, Jun 10, 2020

2. 2nd hdd caddy and windows 1809

Hey

I have posted 2 topics about the inability to update to 1809 and I have figured out that it is due to the 2nd hdd caddy

I have installed a 2nd Hdd caddy instead of my DVD rom on my laptop
    Since windows 7
    Then I have upgraded my laptop to asus with windows 10 which had 1507 and installed the 2nd hdd as well
    And upgraded till version 1803 which everything was running smoothly
    But for some reason the 1809 is not booting from the usb
    I have removed the 2nd hdd and was able to perform a clean install of windows 1809
    Fixing the 2nd hdd makes it stuck on the boot logo

Maybe it's a bug!

MohamedAl.nasser, Jun 10, 2020
  3. erixx Win User
    Sabertooth 990fx won't boot to windows logo, it shuts down

to boot and enter bios and load windows, any todays PSU (with the correct plugs) will work, AFAIK

to enter BIOS only low wattage is used.
    Then, during boot, the HDD and a bit later the videocard card start to demand juice, then the other devices and periphericals... so the total demand during boot up is incrementing step by step, that's why a failure halfway could indicate a PSU problem....

erixx, Jun 10, 2020
  4. Windows 10 won't boot after installing 2nd HDD

Windows 10 USB boot

Hi there, am not a windows 10 expert. I have a pc in the bedroom on windows 10, I messed up the bootloader trying to fix the xp on that system.

System wont boot, trying to repair via win 10 usb installer.

Downloaded the media creation tool to install windows 10 installer on usb stick. Not compatible with a host of usb sticks I have. Tried the usb sticks that others use, but I think they use rufus; as the media creation tool by win 10 does not detect the usb stick.

So quick question, the win10 machine i am trying to repair the bootloader is a win7 upgraded to win10.
    If i were to use the usb win10 installer to "repair installation" does the version of the iso downloaded via the media creation tool matter?

There is three options:
    Windows 10
    Windows 10 Home
    Windows 10 N

Also is there a step by step instead of using rufus as I want to try an alternative method of creating a usb win 10 installer. Preferably with more compatibility.

System is a asus sabertooth 990 (r2?) with AMD phenom X 6.

Also is there any other software I can load onto the usb that can repair the bootloader easily?
    That would be the ideal alternative. Thanks

TRUELOVE95, Jun 10, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 won't boot after installing 2nd HDD

1. Windows 10 won't boot after installing 2nd HDD - Similar Threads - won't boot installing

2. Installed windows on new ssd and removed old hdd but won't boot after install and restart.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Installed windows on new ssd and removed old hdd but won't boot after install and restart.: So I installed a windows 10 on a 250gig ssd. Everything worked fine and windows did its thing. I restarted the comp a few times and no issues. Decided to take out the old intel hdd from the Dell but after I did. It doesn't load from the ssd. I hit f12 to go into boot and...
  3. Cant install games on 2nd hdd?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cant install games on 2nd hdd?: Ive installed halo wars 2 and we happy few on my D:/ drive but now I cant install anything https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-install-games-on-2nd-hdd/bc878002-6fcd-43ee-9045-9912bde21d87
  4. Cant install games on 2nd hdd?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cant install games on 2nd hdd?: Ive installed halo wars 2 and we happy few on my D:/ drive but now I cant install anything https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-install-games-on-2nd-hdd/bc878002-6fcd-43ee-9045-9912bde21d87
  5. Windows 10 won't boot automatic after HDD replace.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 won't boot automatic after HDD replace.: Hi dear community! I have got a tricky problem. I just want to switch SSD and HDD disks with installed Windows 10 between two laptops. But when I try to do that both machines say that there is no any bootable device found!!! Also I try to enter BIOS select boot device menu...
  6. Windows 10 won't boot after install

Windows 10 won't boot after install: Bought a MSI u180 netbook second hand with windows 7 just to run some car diagnostics. The graphics drivers weren't set up so thought I'd upgrade to Windows 10. Went through the windows assistant and it was happy so installed it. Started up and all looked ok but didn't...
  7. Will not boot from HDD after Windows 10 install.

Will not boot from HDD after Windows 10 install.: I built a New PC. I downloaded rhe Windows 10 installer from Microsoft website. I have the installer on a 60GB HDD. I have a 250GB HDD as my primary drive. In order to boot from the 60GB drive to start the Windows 10 install, I have to set the 60GB as my first boot device in...
  8. I can't reinstall windows 10 on boot, will getting a 2nd HDD to boot into fix this?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I can't reinstall windows 10 on boot, will getting a 2nd HDD to boot into fix this?: I tried to reinstall windows 10 because I've had some boot issuesblack screen with white underscore I recently tried to boot into a windows ISO using a USB, but when I chose to keep all my files while installing it said thispicture so I took out the installation media and...
  9. Can't boot after installing windows on 2nd drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't boot after installing windows on 2nd drive: Hi, I am frustrated and here is what I did (any help is appreciated) : My company's laptop has only HDD drive and it has Windows 10 Enterprise and i don't have admin privileges + it has BittLocker. I got my self a temporary nvme drive and plugged it into an empty nvme...
  10. win 10 install won't 2nd boot error OXC1900101_0x40017

win 10 install won't 2nd boot error OXC1900101_0x40017: computer won't boot up to install win 10 get error messsage as above https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-10-install-wont-2nd-boot-error/0441a0df-ef42-4cab-9c7a-25f2a1270890