Windows 10: Windows 10 won't boot anymore (BSOD CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED)

Discus and support Windows 10 won't boot anymore (BSOD CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED) in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi there, I just created this account as I already read through a lot of good threads on this forum regarding similiar issues. After having a BSOD on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by nicsnutzius, May 4, 2021.

1. Windows 10 won't boot anymore (BSOD CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED)

Hi there, I just created this account as I already read through a lot of good threads on this forum regarding similiar issues. After having a BSOD on my second partition (running 2x Windows 10 Pro on a dual-boot system) only one is running as it should. The BSOD was caused by powering off one of my USB/MIDI controllers which are connected over a USB 3 hub to the USB port of my laptop. I believe it was stated that the BSOD occured because of a driver failure (something like IRQL_LESS..) und I'm suspecting the Intel eXtensible Host Controller. This crash has happened from time to time in the past, but this is the first time I'm not able to boot into Windows anymore. When trying to boot into the partition where the initial BSOD occured, I'm getting another BSOD saying 'CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED'. Windows itself is suggesting to use the built-in recovery function which unfortunately doesn't work. While I'm pretty sure that there must be an existing restore point - because I just manually created one shortly before the initial BSOD occured - the recovery function states that there are no restore points avaible on this drive. I already tried the following: - Trying to enter safe mode - Using the recovery options via advanced startup - Starting rstrui.exe via the command line (checked the drive letter before by using diskpart) - Run sfc /scannow, chkdsk /r - Tried to run DISM /Online .. (which isn't working in the pre-boot environment) - Manually deleted the suspected drivers using the file explorer on my other working partition (D:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository) What I haven't tried but read about: - Use DISM in a offline way (not quite sure how to do that) - Unplug the RAM sticks by opening the laptop enclosure (can this be an issue if RAM is working just fine on the other partition?) - Run something like Memtest86 As I use the corrupt partition for a lot stuff like sound and music production, visual coding and video editing it was quite a lot of effort to set everything up. That's why I'm not commited to do a clean install.. I feel already really desperate at this point. I was hoping that somebody here has more knowledge on this topic and could might help me out. Thanks already for reading through. Greetings

:)

nicsnutzius, May 4, 2021

2. Critical_Process_Died BSOD

Hi,

In order to resolve your concern, we suggest that you to follow these steps:

• If you've installed any new apps or devices, uninstall or unplug them and restart your PC.
    • Make sure your PC has the latest updates:
    • Go to the search box.
    • Type Windows Update then Enter.
    • Select Check for updates.
    • In the Settings menu, select Check for updates button.
    • When it's finished, restart your PC.

You may also check this
    link
    for more troubleshooting steps regarding critical_process_died error message.

Let us know how it goes.

PreciousLeb, May 4, 2021
  3. Windows 10 won't boot anymore (BSOD CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED)

Hi there,

I just created this account as I already read through a lot of good threads on this forum regarding similiar issues.

After having a BSOD on my second partition (running 2x Windows 10 Pro on a dual-boot system) only one is running as it should. The BSOD was caused by powering off one of my USB/MIDI controllers which are connected over a USB 3 hub to the USB port of my laptop. I believe it was stated that the BSOD occured because of a driver failure (something like IRQL_LESS..) und I'm suspecting the Intel eXtensible Host Controller. This crash has happened from time to time in the past, but this is the first time I'm not able to boot into Windows anymore.

When trying to boot into the partition where the initial BSOD occured, I'm getting another BSOD saying 'CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED'. Windows itself is suggesting to use the built-in recovery function which unfortunately doesn't work. While I'm pretty sure that there must be an existing restore point - because I just manually created one shortly before the initial BSOD occured - the recovery function states that there are no restore points avaible on this drive.

I already tried the following:
    - Trying to enter safe mode
    - Using the recovery options via advanced startup
    - Starting rstrui.exe via the command line (checked the drive letter before by using diskpart)
    - Run sfc /scannow, chkdsk /r
    - Tried to run DISM /Online .. (which isn't working in the pre-boot environment)
    - Manually deleted the suspected drivers using the file explorer on my other working partition (D:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository)

What I haven't tried but read about:
    - Use DISM in a offline way (not quite sure how to do that)
    - Unplug the RAM sticks by opening the laptop enclosure (can this be an issue if RAM is working just fine on the other partition?)
    - Run something like Memtest86

As I use the corrupt partition for a lot stuff like sound and music production, visual coding and video editing it was quite a lot of effort to set everything up. That's why I'm not commited to do a clean install..

I feel already really desperate at this point. I was hoping that somebody here has more knowledge on this topic and could might help me out.

Thanks already for reading through.

Greetings

nicsnutzius, May 4, 2021
  4. Lars_Th Win User

Windows 10 won't boot anymore (BSOD CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED)

BSOD Critical_Process_Died - can' t enter safe mode

After having upgraded my Asus X555LA to Windows 10 I constantly receice the BSOD with the message Critical_Process_Died. The only thing I did after the update was installing Adaware antivirus. The problem is I cant enter into safe mode, I tried all options,
    but just before restarting the BSOD appears again. I cant believe this is happening. Dont know what to do anymore.....Anybody has an idea? Thanks in advance

Lars_Th, May 4, 2021
Thema:

Windows 10 won't boot anymore (BSOD CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED)

1. Windows 10 won't boot anymore (BSOD CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED) - Similar Threads - won't boot anymore

2. Windows 10 won't boot anymore on Windows 10/Ubuntu dual boot.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 won't boot anymore on Windows 10/Ubuntu dual boot.: I pressed standby button on keyboard while in Windows 10 then left computer, when I came back hard drive light was solid and mouse, keyboard and monitor switches had no effect so I pressed the reset button now Windows 10 wont boot but Linux on same ssd but different partition...
  3. Windows 10 BSoD "CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED"and"UNEXPECTED_STORE_EXCEPT ION"

Windows 10 BSoD "CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED"and"UNEXPECTED_STORE_EXCEPT ION": Hi all, My pc started to get BSoD while gaming since 1 week ago. things i tried; MemTest86+ test Bios update Driver update (graphics card, chipset, realtek lan drivers and so on) CPU and GPU stress test for 1 hours+ Harddisk and ssd health check Cleaning inside of pc Ran...
  4. BSOD on boot (critical_process_died), cant boot into safe mode

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    BSOD on boot (critical_process_died), cant boot into safe mode: TL:DR: Can't boot (even into safe mode) after removing device 'Intel HD Graphics 4000' (and uninstalling its drivers). Getting critical_process_died BSOD. My specs: Mobo ASRock Z77 Pro4, CPU i5 3570k I had my integrated GPU (Intel HD Graphics 4000) disabled because it gave...
  5. BSOD - Critical_Process_Died - Boot drive missing on reboot

BSOD - Critical_Process_Died - Boot drive missing on reboot: Hello! I've been having issues with a Critical_Process_Died BSOD for several weeks now and have already spent quite a bit of time troubleshooting it, to no avail. The start of my problems did not coincide with any major hardware or software changes. At first, I would only...
  6. BSOD Critical_Process_Died (After booting into Safe Mode)

BSOD Critical_Process_Died (After booting into Safe Mode): This might not be the place to post this issue, but I'm not sure where else to put it. I'm having a problem with my computer that displays the "It looks like Windows didn't load correctly" error-thing when I try to boot it up. I already tried messing with the boot settings...
  7. Windows 10 BSOD CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED

Windows 10 BSOD CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED: I have had an on-going problem with my computer... Computer Specs: i7-3770k Asus Sabertooth Z77 120 GB SSD (OS / A Few Apps / No Page File) 600 WD Raptor (Main Progam Drive / Page File) Defrag Turned Off Windows Defender turned off through group policy 16 GB RAM...
  8. Critical_Process_Died BSOD windows 10

Critical_Process_Died BSOD windows 10: simply can't boot into windows 10. it just blue screens whenever it starts. I can't do SFC /scannow and dism. I can't do safe mode, the same thing. all the parts were bought brand new. Rig: Windows 10 Pro i5 6600k OC 4.1GhZ GTX 950 OC Stock 8GB ram 2144 Seagate...
  9. Windows 10 BSOD Critical_process_died

Windows 10 BSOD Critical_process_died: Running a Dell Latitude E5500. Bought it with Windows 7 Pro, and upgraded it to Windows 10. It wasn't a clean install, but an upgrade. I normally like to do clean installs, but did the upgrade on purpose to get used to the whole Windows 10 update process. Everything was...
  10. CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED on boot

in Windows 10 Support
    CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED on boot: Hi. My mom's laptop is crashing on boot with a CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED error. It boots in Safe Mode but most things are unresponsive: no windows menu, command prompt opens right away but admin prompt takes 10-20 minutes to open, so do task manager window, driver install...