Windows 10: Windows 10 won't boot, black screen with flashing blue wheel, even in safe mode

Discus and support Windows 10 won't boot, black screen with flashing blue wheel, even in safe mode in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I'm having a baffling issue in which windows 10 fails to boot. It occurred randomly one day after no intentional changes. I believe it is related to a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by mmalo812, Dec 8, 2018.

1. mmalo812 Win User

Windows 10 won't boot, black screen with flashing blue wheel, even in safe mode

I'm having a baffling issue in which windows 10 fails to boot.

It occurred randomly one day after no intentional changes. I believe it is related to a windows update.

Following the normal motherboard booting screen, screens were alternating at about 1 second intervals, from black, to colored (green), to black, and back and forth. The green screen occasionally showed the clock, then the restart/shutdown image, then nothing, and repeating forever. There was nothing else on the screen, hotkeys like CTRL+ALT+DEL did nothing, nor did clicking anything on screen.

I brought up the boot mode using the hard restart x 3, and attempted every option in troubleshooting including startup repair and restore previous version, all of which state "Unable to perform"

The only thing I was able to do was to revert to a previous version, and restored prior to the last update.

Now the screen on boot is only black, with mouse control and a the spinning blue wheel with it, flashing at regular 0.5 second intervals.

It is now unable to revert prior to any other updates. No option in the troubleshooting menu works, and I tried them all.

Safe mode with or without networking does not work, nor does low res mode, or any other boot mode. The results are exactly the same with no changes.

I also attempted sfc from the command prompt, and it fails to run.

I am able to access the contents of the C:/ drive with windows resides (SSD) through the dir command, so I don't believe the drive is bad.

I have attempted the repairs from the existing boot drive as well as a usb boot drive, with no difference.

I don't know where I can go from here. I've had to do a clean install of Windows because an update has bricked my OS at least a half dozen times since I converted to Windows 10 in 2015. I'm tired of this and just want to fix it this time without losing everything. Help

:)

mmalo812, Dec 8, 2018
  2. Dyan Rey Win User

Laptop went black and won;t reboot

Hi Andree,

Hardware and software conflict is one of the possible reasons why you're experiencing black screen. Sometimes, it is also because of hardware failure. To get this issue fixed, we suggest that you
    boot into Safe Mode by following these steps:

• Turn off your computer 3 times while booting. Windows should automatically boot to the Recovery Environment after 3 unsuccessful attempts in a row.
    • Once you are within the Recovery Environment, select Troubleshoot, and then
      Advanced options, then Startup Settings, and
      Restart
      . When it restarts, you should see a number of options. Press 5 or F5 for
      Safe Mode with Networking.
    Once your computer is in Safe Mode, please follow the workaround provided on this
    link. Simply select the similar case that you're experiencing to show the troubleshooting steps.

Let us know how it works.

Dyan Rey, Dec 8, 2018
  3. Andi_2323 Win User
    Black Screen even in Safe Mode on Windows 10.

Original Title: Black Screen even in Safe Mode

We have Windows 10 installed on a Dell Laptop for months with only minor issues. All of a sudden it now only shows the black screen before Login. All the suggested fixes in other Posts don't help, even booting into safe mode only shows the black screen with
    mouse Cursor.

I wonder if there is a way to remove the graphics Driver when in the repair mode command line?

Andi_2323, Dec 8, 2018
  4. Jaune Bel Win User

Windows 10 Blue Screen Of Death Loop

Hi,

Blue screen errors are usually caused by outdated graphics drivers or system performances that can't be handled by it. We'd like to know more information about this issue so we could provide an accurate resolution. Kindly answer the following:

• Have you made any changes to your computer prior to this issue?
    • Have you tried booting your PC in safe mode? You can refer to this article for the steps on how to boot
      your PC in safe mode.

In the meantime, we suggest that you go to this link and follow the steps to
    Troubleshoot blue screen errors

We'll be waiting for your response.

Jaune Bel, Dec 8, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 won't boot, black screen with flashing blue wheel, even in safe mode - Similar Threads - won't boot black

2. Black screen when booting to safe mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black screen when booting to safe mode: I have had problems with my system from time to time. Blue screen. I suspect it started after the June update KB5027231. After trying ALL except one tips to fix blue screen, I restarted my computer in Safe Mode msconfig. Then the computer boots to black sceen. Managed to get...
  3. Black screen when booting to safe mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black screen when booting to safe mode: I have had problems with my system from time to time. Blue screen. I suspect it started after the June update KB5027231. After trying ALL except one tips to fix blue screen, I restarted my computer in Safe Mode msconfig. Then the computer boots to black sceen. Managed to get...
  4. Pc boots into windows with no desktop icons or task bar, even in safe mode, screen flashes...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Pc boots into windows with no desktop icons or task bar, even in safe mode, screen flashes...: This morning found my pc loaded into bios, slept with it open on a youtube video so that was weird. A reset with the quick reset button only went straight to bios again. Power cycling loaded into windows with no desktop icons or Taskbar icons and screens flicker to black....
  5. Pc boots into windows with no desktop icons or task bar, even in safe mode, screen flashes...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pc boots into windows with no desktop icons or task bar, even in safe mode, screen flashes...: This morning found my pc loaded into bios, slept with it open on a youtube video so that was weird. A reset with the quick reset button only went straight to bios again. Power cycling loaded into windows with no desktop icons or Taskbar icons and screens flicker to black....
  6. Pc boots into windows with no desktop icons or task bar, even in safe mode, screen flashes...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Black Screen on Windows 10 Boot after game crashing(even in safe mode)

in Windows 10 Support
    Black Screen on Windows 10 Boot after game crashing(even in safe mode): Hi everyone! A couple of days ago I was playing Cyberpunk 2077 and it crashed a couple of times, I kinda fixed that by lowering the graphics, but then it crashed again and froze up my entire laptop. It wasn't overheated, I kept extra ventilation on. I forced it to shut down...
  8. Black Screen even in Safe Mode on Windows 10.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Black Screen even in Safe Mode on Windows 10.: I realise this will not apply to most but ive resolved the problem on my pc. It was plugged into a power strip which has an energy saving switch off feature. Having installed win 10 on a new ssd, it was drawing so little power that it was cutting out the supply to the pc, but...
  9. Black screen even in safe mode

Black screen even in safe mode: I'm getting a black screen with cursor after login, Windows 10. Ctrl-alt-delete shows options but choosing task manager reverts to black screen. Can enter safe mode but same issue with black screen/no task manager. Suspect display drivers may be a factor but cant find any way...
  10. Extreme Black Screen of Death, can not even boot to safe mode

Extreme Black Screen of Death, can not even boot to safe mode: Hi everyone, I'm calling this the "Extereme KSOD" to distinguish it from the usual Black Screen of Death where the PC can be rebooted into Safe Mode and you still get a mouse cursor. The PC does not boot so I cant run the BSOD tool, I never even make it to the login...