Windows 10: Windows 10 won't boot on AHCI without first switching to IDE on BIOS, then back to AHCI

Discus and support Windows 10 won't boot on AHCI without first switching to IDE on BIOS, then back to AHCI in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Please I need someone to save me because this is making me go insane. I'm using Windows 10 Pro 21H1I'm no computer expert but recently a friend... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by villannelle, Oct 20, 2021.

1. Windows 10 won't boot on AHCI without first switching to IDE on BIOS, then back to AHCI

Please I need someone to save me because this is making me go insane. I'm using Windows 10 Pro 21H1I'm no computer expert but recently a friend suggested I buy an SSD and install my SO in it to improve my PC's performance. He works in tech so he helped me set everything up by sending me the instructions.I installed the SSD, installed Win10 Pro on it, kept my HDD as storage and everything was fine and dandy. I turned off my computer and the first time I went to turn it on after installing Win10, it wouldn't boot. As in my BIOS logo would appear, and then my monitor would say it had no input s

:)

villannelle, Oct 20, 2021
  2. Rudy Mas Win User

AHCI vs regular Native IDE

If you want to change IDE to AHCI in windows 10, without a clean install, do the following steps:

• Open Command Prompt (Admin)
    • type: bcdedit /set {current} safeboot minimal
    • Restart PC and go into you BIOS -> Set IDE to AHCI
    • Windows 10 will start if Safe Mode
    • Open Command Prompt (Admin)
    • type: bcdedit /deletevalue {current} safeboot
    • Restart and Windows 10 should load with AHCI enabled now

Until now, I had a 100% succes rate with this, but in the case Windows 10 wouldn't start, go back into your BIOS and set AHCI to IDE.

Rudy Mas, Oct 20, 2021
  3. slance310 Win User
    Windows boot manager doesn't recognize AHCI/SATA SSD

Hi,

I have seen multiple instructions to do this, but can't find the ones I saved, but I did find this...

https://winaero.com/blog/how-to-switch-from-ide-to-ahci-in-windows-10/

There is a registry setting that needs to be switched to ACHI while booted in IDE... Then restart... enter Bios, and switch to AHCI...

The article in the link describes a different method involving Safe Mode that bypasses the registry tweak... Supposedly after booting to Safe Mode and restarting the machine... entering Bios... switching to AHCI... and then restarting... The switch should
    be made to ACHI automatically...

Go by the article though... I have personally never had to try this..

slance310, Oct 20, 2021
  4. KingaAss Win User

Windows 10 won't boot on AHCI without first switching to IDE on BIOS, then back to AHCI

Windows 10 Recovery Boot Loop after switching from AHCI to IDE!

So, for some time I had dual boot with Windows 7 and Windows 10 installed.
    Recently I changed my motherboard, and it all seemed fine for some time.
    Windows 10 worked just fine.

Then one day, I decided to go back to Windows 7 to do some stuff I couldn't on the new OS.
    It was stuck in a boot loop.

The fix for that was to switch from AHCI to IDE SATA option in UEFI Bios (ASUS).

It did fix Windows 7, and it worked flawlessly. Up until the point... where my Windows 10 couldn't boot up at all.

So what happens now, is windows 10 is stuck in a recovery menu, creating that error log file.

What seems to be strange is the way boot behaves.
    My C: drive is set to Windows 10. Yet when I list all the partitions it shows Windows 10 as letter D:.

And even more interesting, that error log goes to letter I:

When checking that partition it shows it as hidden.

Tried the method with registry... where you would backup and replace the config files.

Really in need of help.

Also when switching back from IDE to AHCI, nothing happens. Basically says that none drives have Windows installed.

List of drives shown from Windows 7:

Windows 10 won't boot on AHCI without first switching to IDE on BIOS, then back to AHCI [​IMG]

List of drives shown from Windows 10 (When it was still working):

Windows 10 won't boot on AHCI without first switching to IDE on BIOS, then back to AHCI [​IMG]

KingaAss, Oct 20, 2021
Thema:

Windows 10 won't boot on AHCI without first switching to IDE on BIOS, then back to AHCI

1. Windows 10 won't boot on AHCI without first switching to IDE on BIOS, then back to AHCI - Similar Threads - won't boot AHCI

2. Windows 10 won't boot on AHCI without first switching to IDE on BIOS, then back to AHCI

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 won't boot on AHCI without first switching to IDE on BIOS, then back to AHCI: Please I need someone to save me because this is making me go insane. I'm using Windows 10 Pro 21H1I'm no computer expert but recently a friend suggested I buy an SSD and install my SO in it to improve my PC's performance. He works in tech so he helped me set everything up by...
  3. Windows 10 won't boot on AHCI without first switching to IDE on BIOS, then back to AHCI

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 won't boot on AHCI without first switching to IDE on BIOS, then back to AHCI: Please I need someone to save me because this is making me go insane. I'm using Windows 10 Pro 21H1I'm no computer expert but recently a friend suggested I buy an SSD and install my SO in it to improve my PC's performance. He works in tech so he helped me set everything up by...
  4. IDE to AHCI help

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    IDE to AHCI help: I have a somewhat dated system with AMD. I finally decided to switch from a mechanical to a SSD(870 EVO). I'm not totally "new" to computers, but there is quite a bit I'm not familiar with. I bought a SSD because I do quite a lot of gaming and what not. HDD seem to slow that...
  5. Windows won't boot in AHCI mode.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows won't boot in AHCI mode.: So I'm currently using a WhackBook (aka Hackintosh laptop). In order for macOS to boot, you need to have the SATA mode set to AHCI. For whatever reason, Windows will not boot in AHCI mode. It sends me to advance startup options, and selecting "Start Windows normally" there...
  6. Windows 10 Recovery Boot Loop after switching from AHCI to IDE!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 Recovery Boot Loop after switching from AHCI to IDE!: So, for some time I had dual boot with Windows 7 and Windows 10 installed. Recently I changed my motherboard, and it all seemed fine for some time. Windows 10 worked just fine. Then one day, I decided to go back to Windows 7 to do some stuff I couldn't on the new OS. It was...
  7. AHCI and IDE

AHCI and IDE: Hello, I'm going to put two SSD and one HDD into a desktop. They should arrive from NewEgg today. I know the SSD's need to be AHCI, but looking in the bios I see I can set SATA channels 1 - 4 as AHCI but still have the option of setting 5 & 6 as IDE. Is it best to put the...
  8. AHCI and IDE

in Windows 10 Support
    AHCI and IDE: Hello, I'm going to put two SSD and one HDD into a desktop. They should arrive from NewEgg today. I know the SSD's need to be AHCI, but looking in the bios I see I can set SATA channels 1 - 4 as AHCI but still have the option of setting 5 & 6 as IDE. Is it best to put the...
  9. AHCI setting in BIOS

AHCI setting in BIOS: I have a MB that lets me change the SATA Type. The options are: Native IDE RAID AHCI It is set to Native IDE now. I don’t want to run a raid configuration. What is AHCI. What does it do? Is there an advantage in switching to AHCI? Thanks Sven 27903
  10. AHCI vs regular Native IDE

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    AHCI vs regular Native IDE: Hello. I feel that setting your SATA harddisks to AHCI mode can be mandatory when you have a SSD drive. Doing some benchmarks on my Intel i7 shows that my SSD it's 50% slower running under IDE. Besides I am not sure but does IDE support TRIM commands? But what about...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Windows 10 after change ahci mode not boot

2. how to repair windows boot after change uefi bios sata mode to achi

3. windows 10 wont start on ahci

4. windows 10 wont boot after change ide to ahci