Windows 10: Windows 10 Won't Boot UP: Just Loads A Black Grub Screen with a >

Discus and support Windows 10 Won't Boot UP: Just Loads A Black Grub Screen with a > in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My Windows 10 won't boot up anymore. When I try to boot up, I just get a black screen with: grub > displayed on it. Above that, it says: Code:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by planet99, Sep 16, 2018.

1. planet99 Win User

Windows 10 Won't Boot UP: Just Loads A Black Grub Screen with a >

My Windows 10 won't boot up anymore. When I try to boot up, I just get a black screen with:

grub >

displayed on it.

Above that, it says:

Code: Minimal BASH-like editing is supported. for the first word, TAB lists possible commands completions.Anywhere else TAB lists possible device or file completion grub>[/quote] The Computer is an HP Compaq Elite 8300 SFF

Here's what happened (if you need the backstory):

Windows 10 was working fine before. I wanted to convert this computer to running Linux (Mint 19).

I pulled out the hard drive with Windows 10 on it, and put in a DIFFERENT hard drive and installed Linux Mint on to that hard drive. It works fine, by the way.

I wanted to boot into windows 10 again, so I swapped hard drives and tried to boot. That is how I got this error.

After it wouldn't boot up, I went into the Boot Device Menu. Under UEFI, it lists Ubuntu (same thing as linux mint). Previously it listed Windows Boot Manager.

Under legacy boot sources, it lists SATA0, which should be the hard drive. However, if I select SATA0 under legacy boot sources, I get this error message:

Code: GPT-Formatted disk. Legacy boot not supported. Press any key to reboot.[/quote] If I have the windows hard drive in the machine but boot up off of a Linux live USB, I can see the partions of the disk with Windows 10 on it look like this:

/dev/sda1/ EFI System Partition fat32 100MiB (size) 53.31MiB (used) boot, esp (flags)

dev/sda2 ! (exclamation point) Microsoft Reserved Partition Unknown (file system) 128 MiB (size) -- -- msftres (flags)

dev/sda3 Basic Data Partition NTFS (file system) 464.53GiB (size) 67.45 (used) 397.08GiB (unused) msftdata (flags)

/dev/sda4 NTFS (file system) 450MiB (size) 383.64MiB (used) 66.36MiB (unused) hidden, diag (flags)

Unallocated unallocated (file system) 583.02MiB (size)

Windows 10 Won't Boot UP: Just Loads A Black Grub Screen with a > [​IMG]

:)

planet99, Sep 16, 2018
  2. Fox34 Win User

GRUB loaded error

When I go to boot suse 10.2 with grub, after the bios checking It just displays; "LI." and stops. It just says LI and stops. I now boot with a install disk, then just choose boot from harddrive and it works. Any suggestions?

Fox34, Sep 16, 2018
  3. Dyan Rey Win User
    Laptop went black and won;t reboot

Hi Andree,

Hardware and software conflict is one of the possible reasons why you're experiencing black screen. Sometimes, it is also because of hardware failure. To get this issue fixed, we suggest that you
    boot into Safe Mode by following these steps:

• Turn off your computer 3 times while booting. Windows should automatically boot to the Recovery Environment after 3 unsuccessful attempts in a row.
    • Once you are within the Recovery Environment, select Troubleshoot, and then
      Advanced options, then Startup Settings, and
      Restart
      . When it restarts, you should see a number of options. Press 5 or F5 for
      Safe Mode with Networking.
    Once your computer is in Safe Mode, please follow the workaround provided on this
    link. Simply select the similar case that you're experiencing to show the troubleshooting steps.

Let us know how it works.

Dyan Rey, Sep 16, 2018
  4. joe_bruin Win User

Windows 10 install - grub loading, error 22

I was running Windows 7 on a Lenovo laptop. Installed Windows 10 using the "Get Windows 10" icon after reserving it few weeks ago. Now my computer doesn't get past a black screen with the error message:

Grub Loading stage 1.5

Grub Loading, please wait...

Error 22

joe_bruin, Sep 16, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Won't Boot UP: Just Loads A Black Grub Screen with a > - Similar Threads - Won't Boot Loads

2. Booting up pc then loading screen pops up then it goes black

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Booting up pc then loading screen pops up then it goes black: so i cut on my pc and it said could not find your pin so i reset my pc to do startup repair and it asked for my password but i’m password less so i put no password but it says it’s incorrect i don’t know what to do i don’t know why it’s saying password incorrect when i don’t...
  3. Booting up pc then loading screen pops up then it goes black

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Booting up pc then loading screen pops up then it goes black: so i cut on my pc and it said could not find your pin so i reset my pc to do startup repair and it asked for my password but i’m password less so i put no password but it says it’s incorrect i don’t know what to do i don’t know why it’s saying password incorrect when i don’t...
  4. Booting up pc then loading screen pops up then it goes black

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. My pc won't boot or restart just black screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My pc won't boot or restart just black screen: Please help, few day ago, my pc when i press my power button my pc case and my pc boot, my Monitor is black not start or restart, just black screen. My pc spec: Amd ryzen 3 vega 8 2200g, Monitor: Samsung t2735f....
  6. My pc won't boot or restart just black screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My pc won't boot or restart just black screen: Please help, few day ago, my pc when i press my power button my pc case and my pc boot, my Monitor is black not start or restart, just black screen. My pc spec: Amd ryzen 3 vega 8 2200g, Monitor: Samsung t2735f....
  7. My pc won't boot or restart just black screen

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. Windows won't boot,black screen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows won't boot,black screen: Hi,recently my laptop has been refusing to boot.I can not access the safe mode,I can not restore or repair.I tried booting from usb but it just loads forever,it loaded for 2 days without nothing happening.Please help.At this point I just want to start afresh I had backed up...
  9. Black screen no curser no start up screen just black windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Black screen no curser no start up screen just black windows 10: window 10 black screen with nothing for a quick second something will show up but then back to black screen .I tried to wake it up by pressing windows key+ctrl+shift+B and my start up screen with the login will flash for a second then it goes back to black screen before I...
  10. Windows 10 Black Screen Boot up

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Black Screen Boot up: hai lets get straight to the point. recently i updated windows insider on the slow ring. after that, i noticed my systems arent working too well. one time, i couldnt shut down the pc. and then, now i cant boot up as its just blank with cursor when i move it around. heres...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows doesnot boot up and goes back to grub in dual boot system

2. GPT-formatted disk. Legacy boot not supported. Press any key to reboot error after rebooting pc