Windows 10: Windows 10 won't detect my external hard drive

Discus and support Windows 10 won't detect my external hard drive in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi all, I've run into a problem with my Windows 10 laptop where for some reason it just stopped recognizing my external hard drive for some reason. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Datblokewhointernets, Jan 17, 2020.

1. Windows 10 won't detect my external hard drive

Hi all,

I've run into a problem with my Windows 10 laptop where for some reason it just stopped recognizing my external hard drive for some reason.

I was doing some stuff for work, accessing the necessary files from my hard drive. Due to the small number of USB ports on this computer I had to unplug it so one of my colleagues could transfer some files to my computer. When I plugged my hard drive back in however, it just doesn't show up at all. I don't even hear the jingle to indicate something's been plugged in.

I've tried 2 different external hard drives. Neither of them are recognized. It's definitely not my hard drive at fault as I've tried it on my desktop and it works normally.

The weird thing is that the laptop detects USB sticks just fine, but external hard drives it just won't read at all.

On top of all this, it also won't take pen input from my (admittedly old) graphics tablet which stopped working at the exact same time.

I've tried re-installing drivers, checking the device manager, updating some of the old drivers, but it still refuses to read my hard drive.

Any idea what's going on?

submitted by /u/Datblokewhointernets
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Datblokewhointernets, Jan 17, 2020
  2. SVLingam Win User

My Seagate external hard drive is not detected when plugged in to USB port of my laptop using windows 10?

Thanks for your response.

I have tried all the steps provided, however in vain. The external hard drive is not identified at all in any of the the USB ports when connected. The USB ports identify other external Flash drives and devices. However this drive is detected in another laptop
    using Windows 7 OS. Please advise further.

Regards

SVLingam, Jan 17, 2020
  3. Marco Gav Win User
    unrecognised external hard drive on Windows 10

Since you already reinstalled the drivers of the External Hard Drive, let's run the
    Hardware and Devices troubleshooter as it can resolve your concern. You can do that by following these steps:

• Press the Start button.

• Type and select Troubleshooting.

• Click on View all on the left panel.

• Select and run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter.

If the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter doesn’t resolve your concern, we suggest that you change the letter of the External Hard Drive. You can do that by following these steps:

• Press the Start button.

• Type and select Control panel.

• Select System and Security.

• Select Administrative Tools, and a new window will appear.

• Double-click Computer Management, and a new window will appear.

• Select Disk Management that is located under
      Storage
      in the left pane.

• Right click on the External Hard Drive that is not showing on the File Explorer.

• Select Change letter and network path, and a new window will appear.

• Select Change, and choose the letter that you want for the External Hard Drive.

After changing the letter of the External Hard Drive, we suggest that you reboot your laptop for the changes to take effect.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Marco Gav, Jan 17, 2020
  4. Remon Ont Win User

Windows 10 won't detect my external hard drive

External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Jan 17, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 won't detect my external hard drive

1. Windows 10 won't detect my external hard drive - Similar Threads - won't detect external

2. Microsoft Store is not detecting my External Hard Drive.

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Microsoft Store is not detecting my External Hard Drive.: So far I tried the wsreset.exe in the "run" tab and the I am only seeing my C and D drive. So far I tried the wsreset.exe in the "run" tab and the Get-AppXPackage *...
  3. Why my External Hard Drives could not be detected?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why my External Hard Drives could not be detected?: I checked Device Manager and found that my hard drive has been disabled by Windows, I tried to enable it but Windows immediately disabled it again. Please help, anyone?* Moved from Community Center...
  4. Windows 10 Won't Recognize External Hard Drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 Won't Recognize External Hard Drives: We have just purchased a desktop unit and a touchscreen laptop with Windows 10. I tried to plug in external hard drives I had on the old computers but they are not recognized by the new computers. Both of the computers have received all Windows Updates. I have downloaded the...
  5. external hard drive cant be detected

external hard drive cant be detected: when i plug in my hard drive, it doesn't show up in file explorer and disk management but only in device manager. when i restart my computer with the hard drive plugged in, i get a blue screen. is it a problem with the driver or windows and how do i fix this?...
  6. My external hard drive is being detected but also not.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My external hard drive is being detected but also not.: So I’m trying to use an external hard drive and when I go into my file manager nothing shows up for it. I went into my settings to check if it was detecting a usb device and it was. submitted by /u/nicknugget2007 [link] [comments]...
  7. Unable to detect external hard drive

Unable to detect external hard drive: I have been attempting to download files from my external hard drive on my surface but cannot seem to find it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-detect-external-hard-drive/80f9a17b-73ac-4cc6-8d42-74714afeb773
  8. External hard drive doesn't detect on my laptop.

External hard drive doesn't detect on my laptop.: I disconnected the hard disk without safely ejecting it. Now that usb port doesn't detect the external hard drive. But it detects other usb devices. Also the external hard drive works with my other usb ports. Please help me to fix my usb port....
  9. External hard drive won't install windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    External hard drive won't install windows 10: Hello I have a problem with tying to install windows 10 on my external hard drive. The hard drive is empty and I'm setting it up for the first time. Its saying it won't install because its connected via usb. Is there any way round this problem? Many thanks in advance....
  10. Toshiba external hard drive not detectible

Toshiba external hard drive not detectible: I have a Toshiba DWC250 5TB external drive formatted ReFS that I cannot detect in either Disk Management or by using DiskPart/List Disk. Cabling and power are sound. The unit is not user serviceable because the case is not designed to be opened. I use it in a storage pool on...