Windows 10: Windows 10 wont let me choose my external hard drive to save my backup files in.

Discus and support Windows 10 wont let me choose my external hard drive to save my backup files in. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I have an Asus laptop and a Seagate 5T external hard drive. I have been trying to save a backup of my laptop documents but when I go into Setting... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by cxitln, Sep 3, 2020.

1. cxitln Win User

Windows 10 wont let me choose my external hard drive to save my backup files in.

Hi,

I have an Asus laptop and a Seagate 5T external hard drive. I have been trying to save a backup of my laptop documents but when I go into Setting and into Backup it won't let me choose my external hard drive. The external hard drive shows up when I click "Add a drive" and it has a bit over 4T of open memory but when I click on it, nothing happens. It still says "Add a drive".

When I look into my external hard drive files, the Files History folder is made but nothing is saved inside the folders. Not sure what is wrong here. My laptop has less than 1T of memory so the external hard drive has enough bandwidth to sustain all my files.

:)

cxitln, Sep 3, 2020

2. saving and viewing files on an external hard drive

Hi Sam,

We appreciate you for being part of Windows 10.

Yes, you may format the external hard drive. Follow the below steps.

• Connect the external hard drive to Windows 10 computer.

• Press Windows + E keys on the keyboard to the keyboard to open the file explorer.

• Locate the external hard drive on left navigation pane in File explorer.

• Right click on the external hard drive and click on
      Format

• Click Start and follow on screen instructions to format the hard drive.
    I hope the above information helps. Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Kiran Kishore, Sep 3, 2020
  3. Smittychat., Sep 3, 2020
  4. JATownes Win User

Windows 10 wont let me choose my external hard drive to save my backup files in.

Hard Drive / External Drive + Backups Configuration?

I run 2 500GB drives in RAID-0. (Seagate 7200.12 drives)

This is very good advice. I have lost my array once. *Mad Windows 10 wont let me choose my external hard drive to save my backup files in. :mad: I backup weekly to an external, and also copy any important files (work data, game saves, pics, etc.) to my 500GB "personal" drive. So basically, I have an image of my Array saved to the external, and a copy of "My Documents" backed up to the internal 500GB.

Moral of the story: Definately backup often, whether running a RAID array or not. *Toast :toast:

JATownes, Sep 3, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows 10 wont let me choose my external hard drive to save my backup files in. - Similar Threads - wont let choose

2. My hard drive will not let me access it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My hard drive will not let me access it: So I have a 1TB Toshiba external hard drive and it will not let me access it. I will try to click on it and then it will crash my file explorer and also my taskbar will disappear for a minute at most. I have also tried going into the properties of it but it won't let me do a...
  3. My hard drive will not let me access it

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My hard drive will not let me access it: So I have a 1TB Toshiba external hard drive and it will not let me access it. I will try to click on it and then it will crash my file explorer and also my taskbar will disappear for a minute at most. I have also tried going into the properties of it but it won't let me do a...
  4. Windows wont let me delete partitions on my external drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows wont let me delete partitions on my external drive.: So I have a 1TB hard drive that i wanted to put into my laptop for more storage, I cloned all of the data and partitions onto it and put it into the computer. Upon realising that is was exteremely slow, I took it out the laptop and put my old ssd back in. I wanted to delete...
  5. Windows wont let me delete partitions on my external drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows wont let me delete partitions on my external drive.: So I have a 1TB hard drive that i wanted to put into my laptop for more storage, I cloned all of the data and partitions onto it and put it into the computer. Upon realising that is was exteremely slow, I took it out the laptop and put my old ssd back in. I wanted to delete...
  6. Windows wont let me delete partitions on my external drive.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Save As make file save as a "All Files*.*" and wont let me choose what to save it as.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Save As make file save as a "All Files*.*" and wont let me choose what to save it as.: Whenever I right click on an image and attempt to save the file it either attempts to save as a ".tif" or "All Files*.*" which NEITHER one I can then simply open... I want to save photos as Jpegs without having to download some weird ad-on to google chrome....
  8. It won't let me install games on my External Hard drive

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    It won't let me install games on my External Hard drive: For some reason when I try and install a game onto my external hard drive it says that the location isn't set up for installing games and when I tried to change it from my C drive to my D drive it came up with a thing that said "Delete Other Apps" and when I press yes there...
  9. File History (Backup) is not letting me choose my external drive......

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File History (Backup) is not letting me choose my external drive......: Hi IT-Experts, I am trying to enable File History for my C: drive and I wanted to choose my external USB Drive as Backup destination for it. My external USB Drive has 7TB space and I use it everyday to save pictures on it and access it with the windows explorer just fine....
  10. Windows 10 wont let me optimize my drives.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 wont let me optimize my drives.: So when I open defrag/optimize drives. I will click on recovery and \\?\Volume{6117a5} and it will refuse to optimize. The optimization process wont begin and it will stay highlighted. Especially when I run it in administrator mode 94809