Windows 10: Windows 10 won't load CPU not supported

Discus and support Windows 10 won't load CPU not supported in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have an older home build computer. Main board is an ACER AST690, CPU Pentium D 2 core 3.4 GHz, OS Win 7 Pro SP1 When I first tried to load Win 10, I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by iamwotiam, Aug 21, 2015.

1. iamwotiam Win User

Windows 10 won't load CPU not supported

I have an older home build computer. Main board is an ACER AST690, CPU Pentium D 2 core 3.4 GHz, OS Win 7 Pro SP1 When I first tried to load Win 10, I was running an Pentium 4 672 HT-Vt, 3.8 GHz. I got a message that my CPU was not supported. Coreinfo indicated prefetchw was missing. I found the Pentium D 2 Core that has prefetchw. Win 10 still won't load from the start menu icon. I downloaded the isoimage of Win 10. It will load but as home addition which I don't want. My last check of compatibility of Win 10 was on 8-10-2015.
    Do I need to wait until after 9-10 for Microsoft to rerun the compatibility test? I really don't want Home Addition of Win 10, I want to upgrade from Win 7. Will I be able to load Win 10 after 9-10?

:)

iamwotiam, Aug 21, 2015
  2. 7sean68 Win User

Intel microcode update

my pc is out of Support in HP but my windows is still supported and my cpu is still supported so it's microsoft responsibility to deliver intel microcode updates as it delivered microcode updates to other chips.

Right now windows loads an old version of microcode into processor and It's microsoft responsibility to load the new microcode since they made themselves responsible for delivering drivers and every manufacturer says that windows 10 drivers will be delivered
    through windows updates

OR they can at least make a tool for us to update microcode but I'm sure they won't!!

7sean68, Aug 21, 2015
  3. Ken_791 Win User
    windows 10 upgrade

When the upgrade app initially appeared, everything was good. Now I get the CPU not supported message.

This is my CPU info: Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU P6100 @ 2.00GHz

Is this true? Windows 10 won't install on this PC?

Thanks

Ken_791, Aug 21, 2015
  4. Superfly Win User

What's the significance of 9-10?

BTW editions have the same hardware requirements - personally I would just upgrade the CPU.

Superfly, Aug 21, 2015
  5. iamwotiam Win User
    Thanks for your quick comment, Superfly. As I understand it, the Microsoft upgrade servers only check my compatibility once a month, based either on when I first became eligible or the first time I tried to load Win 10. It doesn't seem to matter how many times I check it from my computer, the 8-10 date stays the same and the report remains "CPU not supported". My comment is that Microsoft won't run an official recheck on my computer until after 9-10. (The compatibility rules state that Microsoft checks once a month.) Wait a minute, I just found a link to compatibility checker KB3035583 I'll get back on this. OK, KB3035583 was removed. the compatibility checker runs once a month. "The report runs automatically about once a month. If you installed apps or devices recently, or made changes to your PC, the report might not reflect these changes. " So I'm guessing i will just wait until next month's check.

iamwotiam, Aug 21, 2015
  6. Superfly Win User
    I doubt there will be a difference buddy, why not try the 32-bit version - it has less restrictions particularly with <4Gb RAM.

Superfly, Aug 21, 2015
  7. bobkn Win User
    While "iamwotaim" doesn't specify, I'd expect that the PC has the 32 bit version of Win7. (2GB of RAM.)

Regardless, to get the free Win 10 upgrade to activate, it must be installed (once) as an upgrade. To do that, the "bitness" of the upgrade has to match that of the qualifying OS.

I believe that you can clean install the other bitness if you've activated the Win 10 upgrade once.

The versions of the Win 10 upgrade that I've seen from the Media Creation tool are for a single version. If "iamwotaim" was seeing Home, she/he/it must have downloaded Home, assuming the ISO was from there. (Are the Tech Bench ISOs different?)

Does the upgrade from the ISO consult the Windows Update compatibility check? I believe not.

I was unaware that if the PC failed the Windows Update compatibility check, that the check would be retried at intervals. (Weird. Would people normally be swapping out hardware over a month to try to bring the PC into compliance?)

bobkn, Aug 21, 2015
  8. Fafhrd Win User

The upgrade will check compatibility during setup. If it cannot run a 64-bit version it will fail.

If a 32-bit version will work - you cannot upgrade a 64-bit Windows 7 etc to a 32-bit Windows 10.

Sorry.

You need to backup your 64-bit system and uninstall it, reinstall a 32-bit version of the same OS in its place, with the same product key, make sure it activates, and then upgrade it to a 32-bit version of Windows 10 if that will run.

It is a PITA.

Fafhrd, Aug 21, 2015
  9. iamwotiam Win User
    No offence but "" is Byron, a 73 yr old Chem. E. The 1st computer I worked on was an IBM 1620 that filled a small room and loaded from punched paper tape. I joined "Insider" to get a jump on Windows 10. My pc is a homebuilt. The components are vintage 2009. An ACER AST690/APFH X64, main board with INTEL 946GZ graphics and INTEL Pentium D 2 Core. All components have up-to-date manufacturers drivers (no Microsoft). I originally purchased a Pentium 4 672 HT-VT because it would run my old XP programs. As it turned out, it didn't have prefetchw. It took me some time to find out that was what I needed. I searched out the Pentium D because for some reason known only to INTEL, it has prefetchw. The 946GZ chip accepted WDDM 1.0 & shows it in hardware manager. So I should be good to go when Microsoft decides to recheck. Sorry, I'm too lazy to look up the page that the recheck info was on. I could swap out the CPU to run Win 10 because they are cheap & available, if you know how to search out the specs.
    And, no, the upgrade from ISO does not check with Windows update compatibility check. I could load Win 10 now if I wanted Home Edition. I want Pro. version by upgrading my Win 7. I chose the 64 bit version when I downloaded the ISO.

iamwotiam, Aug 21, 2015
  10. BunnyJ New Member
    I must be having a dense moment but what do you mean by:

BunnyJ, Aug 22, 2015
  11. strato911 Win User
    I, too, received the "CPU not supported" message when I tried to upgrade my Win7 partition on my dual Opteron system. I had already resolved myself to leaving it as a Win7 / Linux system until I found the following thread (on another forum) this evening. I haven't had a chance to try it, but will likely try it in a few days. Perhaps it will help you.

Your PCt compatible with Windows 10 / 8 Error (yes, I realize the link says Windows 8, but it's for 8 & 10)

strato911, Aug 22, 2015
  12. bobkn Win User
    Hello, Byron. Your response seems a little defensive. No criticism was intended.

Do you think that only the Home version is available in a downloadable ISO? That's not true.

I got ISOs from the Media Creation Tool site. I had to choose language, bitness (32 or 64), and version (Home or Pro). I got the Pro ISO for my two WIn 8.1 Pro X64 desktops, and Home for a laptop that had 7 Home X64.

I once absent-mindedly tried to use the Pro upgrader on the Win 7 machine. I was asked for a key, and there was no "skip" button. The upgrade proceeded as expected when I used the Home version. (No key was requested.)

Just to be clear: is your Win 7 Pro version X64? I don't see that stated explicitly anywhere.

bobkn, Aug 22, 2015
  13. Berton Win User

I've seen that message twice, once on a Vista Notebook that I couldn't install the Win10 Preview on because of the PAE and turned out to be an issue with the Centrino flavor of the CPU. It could have been a hardware problem as it wouldn't also run Linux Mint 16, installed Linux Mint 13 and got a fine backup machine out of it.

The other time on a Notebook was the power saving feature of the CPU/Notebook to about half its full speed or below the required 1GHz. The full speed should have 1.86GHz but had been lowered to 783MHz, fix was in the Power Options and made it an Always On, rebooted and install went fine. Apparently something in the Battery part of Power Options weren't releasing properly when changing to AC Power or Plugged In. For the 1GB RAM requirement one must keep in mind that computers with onboard video take part of the RAM, makes less available to Windows on the low-end machines. [1GB for 32-bit and 2GB for 64-bit]

Berton, Aug 22, 2015
  14. iamwotiam Win User
    A little defensive? I'm usually a lot defensive.

bobkn, my main board is an ACER AST690/APFH X64. Sounds like I chose the wrong ISO. I downloaded it to check my theory that my Pentium D 2 Core CPU was compatible. Since the ISO loads up to where I had to cancel out or upgrade Windows 7, I'm hopeful that I will eventually be able to load windows 10 Pro.

Question - since I downloaded the ISO of Win 10 Home edition, will I be forced to use that ISO instead of upgrading my Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro?

Bunny J. My comment refers to a Windows 10 icon on my desktop in the lower right corner on the Start bar. Clicking on it starts the Windows 10 download, at least that is my belief. I haven't gotten past the "CPU not supported" yet.

iamwotiam, Aug 22, 2015
  15. bobkn Win User
    There is nothing to prevent you from downloading the Pro ISO. As far as I know, there are no limits on the downloads. I downloaded Pro and Home, as I needed both.

bobkn, Aug 22, 2015
Thema:

1. Windows 10 won't load CPU not supported - Similar Threads - won't load CPU

2. cpu not supported

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cpu not supported: I have a i7 6700HQ cpu, why is it not supported for windows 11? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cpu-not-supported/65c8516c-d001-49a7-bec1-8538c172b2ff
  3. cpu not supported

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cpu not supported: I have a i7 6700HQ cpu, why is it not supported for windows 11? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cpu-not-supported/65c8516c-d001-49a7-bec1-8538c172b2ff
  4. Windows won't load after CPU Upgrade

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows won't load after CPU Upgrade: Hi, I have an H110M-A/M.2 motherboard with an i5-6400 CPU. I replaced the i5 with an i7-6700k CPU.On restart, the system recognizes the new CPU and goes into the 'push F1 for setup'. The setup screen lists the new CPU and all the details look correct. Upon hitting exit and...
  5. Windows 10 won't load

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 won't load: I followed the troubleshooting instructions below and when my pc was restarted Windows will not load at all. I see the logo and spinning icon for 25minutes so far. The latest update installed recently and it was fine. This is not related to an update. It is simply from...
  6. windows 10 cpu support

in Windows 10 Support
    windows 10 cpu support: look at get a old server it has a Intel Xeon X3330 2.66GHz Quad Core. 8gb of ram can i ran window 10 it is a IBM X3350 can't find anything online 164225
  7. Windows 10 won't load

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 won't load: A couple days ago an update ran on my laptop. Then my System mechanic program said there was a key logging malware in it, and deleted that file. Since my laptop restarted it won't go into windows. Just the blue tech screen. I have tried 4 different restore points. I have...
  8. CPU Not Supported for windows 10 ?!

CPU Not Supported for windows 10 ?!: [img] [img] 11283
  9. CPU Not Supported

CPU Not Supported: Have Windows 7 sp1 and Windows 10 Build 10240 in dual boot. On trying to upgrade windows 7, error message: Your CPU is not supported. Have Intel Core2duo E7500 @ 2.93 ghz. Coreinfo utility says all NX, PAE & SSE2 are supported and enabled. Window 10 preview has all along...
  10. CPU Support

CPU Support: Hi all I was wondering if there is a list of CPUs supported by Win 10? I am currently running two desktops one with a Dual Core Pentium @ 2ghz and a Core Duo E8400 @ 3 Ghz. They both run Win 8.1 fine but was wondering if 10 will support them. I know min requirements are 1...