Windows 10: Windows 10 won't load, restore, reset or even re-install from Windows USB drive

Discus and support Windows 10 won't load, restore, reset or even re-install from Windows USB drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have had Windows 10 Home on my PC for 3 years. Today it won't load. I am not aware of an update being installed during the past 24 hours. I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Teresa Hessler, Nov 15, 2018.

1. Windows 10 won't load, restore, reset or even re-install from Windows USB drive

I have had Windows 10 Home on my PC for 3 years. Today it won't load. I am not aware of an update being installed during the past 24 hours.

I have tried restart, restore to Nov 10th and Nov 3rd restore points, Reset but save my data, Reset and delete everything.

The computer was working fine this morning. I shut down and went to a conference and when I returned to my desk and turned it on it wouldn't boot Windows, it gave a Blue screen telling me to restart or try recovery options. I followed all instructions and tried every option.

So, I gave up on saving my other software installations (data is on separate drives - unplugged during this process) and tried installing from my Windows 10 USB (the one Microsoft mailed me when I purchased), and it starts the installation, gets to 96%, fails and loops over and over never completing the installation, it's been doing this for more than an hour.
    A white error box popped up once indicating it can't complete the installation and it flashed so fast that I couldn't record the error code (I had my phone and tried to take a photo but it was gone by the time the camera opened).

When I do a hard shutdown by holding the power button until I see the lights go out, it is restarting again on its own! Yes, I can unplug it but that doesn't get me closer to resolving this issue! I work from home and need my PC to be functional ASAP! Help!

:)

Teresa Hessler, Nov 15, 2018

2. Windows 10 USB boot

Hi there, am not a windows 10 expert. I have a pc in the bedroom on windows 10, I messed up the bootloader trying to fix the xp on that system.

System wont boot, trying to repair via win 10 usb installer.

Downloaded the media creation tool to install windows 10 installer on usb stick. Not compatible with a host of usb sticks I have. Tried the usb sticks that others use, but I think they use rufus; as the media creation tool by win 10 does not detect the usb stick.

So quick question, the win10 machine i am trying to repair the bootloader is a win7 upgraded to win10.
    If i were to use the usb win10 installer to "repair installation" does the version of the iso downloaded via the media creation tool matter?

There is three options:
    Windows 10
    Windows 10 Home
    Windows 10 N

Also is there a step by step instead of using rufus as I want to try an alternative method of creating a usb win 10 installer. Preferably with more compatibility.

System is a asus sabertooth 990 (r2?) with AMD phenom X 6.

Also is there any other software I can load onto the usb that can repair the bootloader easily?
    That would be the ideal alternative. Thanks

TRUELOVE95, Nov 15, 2018
  3. Delta6326 Win User
    Delta6326, Nov 15, 2018
  4. thraxed Win User

Windows 10 won't load, restore, reset or even re-install from Windows USB drive

Installing windows off of a USB stick

Step By Step from vista:
    From admin cmd prompt

1. diskpart
    1a. list disk
    2. select disk 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

Copy Windows Vista's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive

xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\ (d being your vista cd and e being your usb stick)

And that's it, boot off your usb disk

thraxed, Nov 15, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 won't load, restore, reset or even re-install from Windows USB drive

1. Windows 10 won't load, restore, reset or even re-install from Windows USB drive - Similar Threads - won't load restore

2. Re-install Windows 10 on a computer from recovery USB

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Re-install Windows 10 on a computer from recovery USB: I need to reinstall Windows 10 on a computer from a recovery usb but don't want to loose my current files there. How can this be accomplished?...
  3. Windows 10 re-installation from bootable USB drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 re-installation from bootable USB drive: Hi, I downloaded the Windows 10 installation media from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10%20 to my formatted USB drive. I then followed the setup instructions to download Win 10 installation media on the USB drive. It took me~6 hrs for the whole...
  4. Windows 10 won't install from USB

Windows 10 won't install from USB: I brought Windows 10 Home edition a couple of years ago and am just trying to install it on my Mac. I followed the instructions on the box insert USB Power on computer hold down option key to boot computer from usb select the usb but the program won't install. What...
  5. Windows 10 not installing from USB drive

Windows 10 not installing from USB drive: I am trying to dual boot Windows 10 Pro and Pop!_OS 20.04 on the same drive with separate partitions. I have gotten as far as to flash the Windows .iso image onto my USB drive but when I choose to boot from the USB I get a blank screen with just a single blinking underline....
  6. Windows won't see USB drive containing restore

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows won't see USB drive containing restore: Hey dudes, here's something strange. I tried to restore a colleagues' netbook by using a formatted USB stick which contains a fresh Windows image... But here's the point, after setting the startup option in the BIOS to start up via USB... nothing happens! It just won't see...
  7. Windows won't load from hard drive

Windows won't load from hard drive: I have a Toshiba Satellite C75D that I am giving to someone. At one point I had a partition dedicated to Linux. I deleted the partition but it still opened the GRUB 2 loading screen. In an attempt to remove this, I recovered Windows 10. After doing so, the computer displayed...
  8. how can I re-load Windows 10 from a USB to my PC that won't start?

how can I re-load Windows 10 from a USB to my PC that won't start?: On start-up my PC gave me the message that windows 10 will repair a fault, then it said that it can't repair it and gave me different options to try. I tried all of them, including a total reset, I always got the message that windows is unable to to that. So I downloaded...
  9. Windows 10 won't reset, restore, or even go to log in screen.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 won't reset, restore, or even go to log in screen.: Windows 10 won't boot up. I've tried resetting, and it says there's a problem. I tried restoring a few hours ago only to have it stuck on "finalizing" for 3 hours. Now, when I try to restore, it says I can't because I need to turn on system protection. I can't continue to...
  10. Re-Install From USB Drive Error

Re-Install From USB Drive Error: I am using the same bootable windows 10 installation thumb drive to do a clean install of windows 10. I've done it multiple times in recent days. However, suddenly when doing it again I get this error: "your pc/device needs to be repaired. the boot configuration data...