Windows 10: Windows 10 wont reactivate after motherboard change. Version changed

Discus and support Windows 10 wont reactivate after motherboard change. Version changed in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello, this is odd, and after getting hung up on by Microsoft's International Technical Support, I'm pretty fed up. Yesterday. I had Win7 Ultimate... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by sIRdONAS, Apr 12, 2019.

1. sIRdONAS Win User

Windows 10 wont reactivate after motherboard change. Version changed

Hello, this is odd, and after getting hung up on by Microsoft's International Technical Support, I'm pretty fed up.

Yesterday.

I had Win7 Ultimate on a MSI motherboard, with an AMD fx-6300 processor.

Its old, slow, so I picked up a new motherboard and a new Ryzen5 CPU.

The Ryzen 5 doesnt support win7, and the new motherboard for the Ryzen is win10 ready, so I purchased Windows 10 Home from the microsoft store onine.

Per microsoft's advice:

I downloaded it.

I installed it.

I made a microsoft account and linked the activation key to it.

I activated windows 10 home.

In the activation screen it it said "This product has been activated via electronic blah blah... via the account"

Great. Thrilled. Microsoft Rocks.

I replaced the motherboard, cpu, video card, and ram, and powered the machine up.

Machine boots up beautifully.

I updated the Drivers for the new motherboard.

I updated the drivers for the new video card.

As expected, Windows would not activate because of the hardware changes, so I ran the activation troubleshooter, but it fails and tells me to go by a legitimate copy of windows.

Thats when I see, that now it says Windows 10 Pro. I didnt download pro. i didnt pay for pro. I downloaded Home right through the reciept email I recieved with my product key that worked a few hours ago.

I made several calls to Microsoft Customer Support.

One sent me a text, hung up, and the link in the text forwarded me back to the activation tool instructions.

not at all helpful.

when I typed in that my problem was not resolved, I activated the callback feature, as microsoft says, "As a conveniece so I wouldnt have to wait on hold". They called right away, then put me on hold.

That person couldnt help me. My problem is apparently off script.

I called the tech support number he gave me (the number i called in the first place) where the next tech support told me to perform the following"

Hit Win-R

Type "SLUI 4" and <enter>

nothing happens. the run box just closes.

when I told him for the 3rd time that nothing happens, he asked "Did you recieve a product key?"

I answered "Yes, but..."

And I was cut off by the customer service satifaction survey becasue he HUNG UP ON ME.

What do I do? I can't activate this thing, becasue I have a Windows 10 Home key, and this thing mystically is trying to sel me a PRO key for another $200??

Please help.

:)

sIRdONAS, Apr 12, 2019

2. win 10 motherboard change, reactivating windows

Hi Famie,

If you are planning to change your motherboard, you will still be able to activate your Windows 10. In Windows 10 version 1607, there is a feature that you can link your Microsoft account to Windows 10 digital license on your device.
    This can help you reactivate Windows using the Activation troubleshooter if you make a significant hardware change later, such as replacing the motherboard.

That being said, we suggest that you follow the steps given on this article
    to reactivate your Windows 10 after a hardware change.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

If you think this was useful, do not hesitate to "mark it as an answer" to help those are facing the same problem.

Janeane Cru, Apr 12, 2019
  3. Changing Motherboard

Hi Tushar,

For us to better assist you with your concern, we'd like to ask a few questions.

• Just to verify, is your computer running a Windows 10?
    • Which version and OS build number of Windows 10 is currently installed?

If you want to change the motherboard of your computer and you want to reactivate Windows 10, refer to this article:
    Reactivating Windows 10 after a hardware change, and follow the instructions given.

Looking forward to your response.

Reymichael Ros, Apr 12, 2019
  4. taox Win User

Windows 10 Hardware change

So i will be changing my cpu, motherboard, ram to the z170 and i was wondering how i am going to reactivate windows 10. my parts should be here by the 11/18/2015 i want to prepare. *Smile Windows 10 wont reactivate after motherboard change. Version changed :) thanks!

Thema:

1. Windows 10 wont reactivate after motherboard change. Version changed - Similar Threads - wont reactivate motherboard

2. Reactivation after motherboard change

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Reactivation after motherboard change: I've been running Windows 10 Pro digital license. I changed the motherboard and other hardware on my computer. Unfortunately I also have a digital license for Windows 10 Home. When I reinstalled Windows it was installed and activated as Windows 10 Home. How can I use my...
  3. Reactivate after changing motherboard

Reactivate after changing motherboard: Hello all,I'm unable to activate my windows 10 pro after changing my motherboard, I had bought it in early 2020 and I lost the activation code.. When I tried to reactivate it through troubleshoot I'm getting this errorWe can't activate windows now due to not connecting to...
  4. Windows wont reactivate after changing motherboard and cpu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows wont reactivate after changing motherboard and cpu: I got a new cpu, motherboard, and ram for christmas and i put it all together and I put my drive that windows 10 pro was activated on into my new pc and it is no longer activated...
  5. reactivation after change of motherboard

reactivation after change of motherboard: my last windows 10 pro was a digital license. I don't know how to reactivate after change of motherboard. I have still with me the genuine windows 7 license. I don't know what to do. kindly help me....
  6. Reactivating Windows 10 After Changing Motherboards

Reactivating Windows 10 After Changing Motherboards: Several years ago I purchased a Windows 7 Ultimate Key that I no longer have. A year or so ago I upgraded this computer to Windows 10. I recently purchased a new motherboard. Before I went to install and swap my hardware over I was worried about not having the key anymore, so...
  7. Reactivating Windows 10 After Motherboard Change

Reactivating Windows 10 After Motherboard Change: Hello, So last night I replaced the motherboard and CPU in my computer and I made sure to watch many videos on reactivating Windows 10 on your PC after a motherboard change. So, after watching those videos I linked my Microsoft account to my product key. I was really tired...
  8. Reactivating Windows 10 after motherboard change

Reactivating Windows 10 after motherboard change: I recently upgraded motherboard, the first one I received died very quickly after I first set it up. After returning it and getting a replacement I have been unable to activate Windows 10 Home using the activation troubleshooting wizard. I purchased a Windows 8 Home licence...
  9. Reactivate Windows 10 after changing motherboard.

Reactivate Windows 10 after changing motherboard.: Hello folks, hope someone may help me with this. I know this topic was already discussed before, but i still cant find an answer for myself. I had my Windows 7 upgraded to 10 with old pc. I just upgraded my pc with new motherboard,cpu and ram. Now i have trouble with Windows...
  10. Reactivating Windows 10 after motherboard change

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reactivating Windows 10 after motherboard change: I had a working computer with a fully paid Windows 10 Pro installed and it worked fine until the motherboard died. I replaced the motherboard only and windows started up immediately. I was then informed that the existing windows 10 had to be activated again. I do not know how...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. changed motherboards reactivate windows 10