Windows 10: Windows 10 won’t recognise hard disk after transferring system to a new case

Discus and support Windows 10 won’t recognise hard disk after transferring system to a new case in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I transferred my working system to a new case using exactly the same hardware, plus an additional SATA SSD. The HDD is now not being recognised and the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by mikeindevon, Jul 2, 2020.

1. Windows 10 won’t recognise hard disk after transferring system to a new case

I transferred my working system to a new case using exactly the same hardware, plus an additional SATA SSD. The HDD is now not being recognised and the system is telling me to initialise it. I haven’t done this as I don’t want to loose the data. Is there a way to recover it?

As background, the system originally had 2 x SATA SSDs one of which was the boot disk and a hard drive that was used for data. The SSDs are fine but the hard disk is not being recognised. I cannot say whether the SATA cables went back into exactly the same slots on the motherboard as before.

My pc started life under Win 7 and I successfully upgraded that to Win 10 a couple of months back without problem.

:)

mikeindevon, Jul 2, 2020
  2. Xylee Del Win User

can i transfer hard disk Windows 10 to another pc

Hello Jason,

Hard disk can be transferred on another machine depending on the license that your device has. For us to help you with your concern, kindly answer the following questions:

• We'd like to know if your device came with a Windows 10 pre-installed Operating System?
    • Is your hard disk will be considered as a secondary storage on the other machine?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you check this article for more information regarding your query:

Reactivating Windows 10 after a hardware change.

We'll be waiting for your reply.

Xylee Del, Jul 2, 2020
  3. jason8572 Win User
    can i transfer hard disk Windows 10 to another pc

it did though it was not registered and never bothered to input the key it came with so currently the win 10 installed is unregistered

and it would be primary hardrive

jason8572, Jul 2, 2020
  4. Devils41 Win User

Windows 10 won’t recognise hard disk after transferring system to a new case

Help with OS Transfer on a new build

Need some help figuring out what I need to do for a fresh build tomorrow. I will be moving off of my old CPU and mobo to a new X99 system. Right now I have my OS on a Sata SSD and want to transfer it onto a new NVME drive.

Some issues:
    • I have a windows 10 upgrade from a RETAIL windows 7 license so I should have migration rights correct?
    • I have 3 other non-OS drives so after I do the install with my old/ current Microsoft account will my fresh install of windows recognise those drives?
    If you guys could shed some light on how to do this or advice please lend a hand. thanks!

Devils41, Jul 2, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 won’t recognise hard disk after transferring system to a new case

1. Windows 10 won’t recognise hard disk after transferring system to a new case - Similar Threads - won’t recognise hard

2. Windows won’t boot after new hard drive installation

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows won’t boot after new hard drive installation: I’m going to try to be as detailed as possible here. I know I made some mistakes along the way so I would like to both fix those issues as well as use the upgraded storage. Here I go. I recently got a new SSD, that’s not the important part, I put that into my laptop and all...
  3. Making the system disk case-sensitive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Making the system disk case-sensitive: Windows 10 allows you to set NTFS to case-sensitive on a per-folder basis using setCaseSensitiveInfo (powershell command). Question is: Is it safe to do this for the whole system disk? The reasoning is that although I don't care whether OS files are case-sensitive or not,...
  4. PC won’t recognise hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    PC won’t recognise hard drive: I recently bought a refurbished computer with an SSD where the system was installed and an empty HDD installed and everything worked perfectly. Then it said there was a windows update, so I updated it, when it went to 82% of the install I got a BSOD, and when it booted back...
  5. Transferring windows 10 to new hard disk

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Transferring windows 10 to new hard disk: My wife uses a laptop with 32MB emmc for bootdisk. I installed a 256MB ssd because windows 10 needs additional room to be able to update. How do I transfer Windows 10 to the SSD to boot from the SSD. The recovery partition on the emmc was deleted. Is there a way to...
  6. Transfer old hard disk to new computer?

Transfer old hard disk to new computer?: Hello, I would like to transfer my HDD with Windows and all games to my new PC (different CPU, different board and RAM), because the game installations take hours with my internet. Can I take over this without problems or do the drivers overlap? Alte Festplatte in neuen...
  7. How to transfer programs from one hard disk to a new hard disk in the same PC?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to transfer programs from one hard disk to a new hard disk in the same PC?: The short version is how do I transfer program files like Microsoft Office from one HD to another HD that are on the same computer. Once transferred the first HD will be removed and discarded because it is damaged. If this HD and PC completely failed I would have to do these...
  8. Transfer windows 10 to new hard drive

Transfer windows 10 to new hard drive: Windows 10 was installed on my computer when i bought it, about to upgrade hard drive, how do i get window10 on new drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/transfer-windows-10-to-new-hard-drive/8416286a-0f0e-412a-a166-567a3667d147
  9. Transfer Windows to a new disk

Transfer Windows to a new disk: I successfully migrated Windows 10 and all my apps to a new SSD in my Dell laptop. It has one strange quirk, however. On reboot, it downs to command line notices, each saying "Checking media... fail."" Then it restarts and works beautifully. What is that all about and how...
  10. Transfer Windows 10 and Microsoft Office to new hard disk ?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transfer Windows 10 and Microsoft Office to new hard disk ?: I have windows 10 it came with my laptop (I think its an OEM version) and Microsoft Office 2013 (purchased) . My laptop's harddisk is currently giving problems. I plan to buy a new hard disk , I have two options: 1) Clone harddisk data to new hard disk 2) Reinstall...