Windows 10: Windows 10 won't recognize Toshiba 3.0 usb external hard drive. PLEASE ADVISE

Discus and support Windows 10 won't recognize Toshiba 3.0 usb external hard drive. PLEASE ADVISE in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; After 7/19 Win 10 Update, I lost access/use of my Toshiba external hard drive. Since this problem's current responses are from 2-4 yrs. ago, I was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by SusanGerner, Feb 16, 2020.

1. Windows 10 won't recognize Toshiba 3.0 usb external hard drive. PLEASE ADVISE

After 7/19 Win 10 Update, I lost access/use of my Toshiba external hard drive. Since this problem's current responses are from 2-4 yrs. ago, I was wondering if a fix was discovered. Anything? Anyone?

:)

SusanGerner, Feb 16, 2020
  2. vallero Win User

external hard drive not recognized

Hello zbook
    #1) I have tested the external drives in three different computers, win10 pro, Win10, and XP. The results are identical. When I plug in the external hard drive windows signals a new device with an audio signal and the light comes on on the external drive. The results on all three pc's is identical in disk manager, file explorer and device manager.
    #2) I have tried all solutions presented to me by FreeBooter, from the simplest solution of uninstalling the external drive in device manager and rebooting windows, to using the various third party software that was suggested, obviously with out success.
    #3) The attached screen shots will only show one of the drives attached because I don't have enough free USB ports to attach two drives and I didn't think it would have been a good idea to use a hub.
    #4) one strange thing about one of the drives is that now device manager lists it as a Toshiba drive although it is a Western Digital.
    #5) Sorry but I have no way of getting a photo of BIOS

Windows 10 won't recognize Toshiba 3.0 usb external hard drive. PLEASE ADVISE [​IMG]

Windows 10 won't recognize Toshiba 3.0 usb external hard drive. PLEASE ADVISE [​IMG]

I look forward to reading your comments

vallero, Feb 16, 2020
  3. Windows 10 doesn't recognise USB device on an external hard drive?

My external hard drive is a Seagate 1000gb and I did a search for a solution to this on the Seagate site. Their first suggestion was to try plugging the USB into a different port. I did and it worked immediately. Their second tip was to try plugging the drive
    directly into an outlet if you've tried using a power strip.

CarolWestover, Feb 16, 2020
  4. Windows 10 won't recognize Toshiba 3.0 usb external hard drive. PLEASE ADVISE

Windows 10 won't recognize Toshiba 3.0 usb external hard drive. Help please.

I have an acer PC with Windows 10. I have been trying to get file explorer to 'see' my Toshiba 3.0 external hard drive, but it won't. I can identify it in the device manager, and it says it is functioning properly. I also undated the drivers to no avail.
    My computer sees other external drives, and my Toshiba works on my MacBook. I've tried all 3of the USB drives on the machine to no avail.

I'd appreciate any help I can get. I'm assuming, thus far, based on the steps I've taken, that this is a Windows 10 problem.

DanNeunaber, Feb 16, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 won't recognize Toshiba 3.0 usb external hard drive. PLEASE ADVISE

1. Windows 10 won't recognize Toshiba 3.0 usb external hard drive. PLEASE ADVISE - Similar Threads - won't recognize Toshiba

2. 3 TB Toshiba external hard drive .

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    3 TB Toshiba external hard drive .: 3 TB Toshiba external hard drive . Lights up when connected with the computer then shuts off The light not the drive . Troubleshooting says device cannot start code 10 . Then , problem with the driver. Says I have best driver . Tried reinstall . Reinstall fail all the time ....
  3. 3 TB Toshiba external hard drive .

in Windows 10 Gaming
    3 TB Toshiba external hard drive .: 3 TB Toshiba external hard drive . Lights up when connected with the computer then shuts off The light not the drive . Troubleshooting says device cannot start code 10 . Then , problem with the driver. Says I have best driver . Tried reinstall . Reinstall fail all the time ....
  4. Windows 10 Won't Recognize External Hard Drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 Won't Recognize External Hard Drives: We have just purchased a desktop unit and a touchscreen laptop with Windows 10. I tried to plug in external hard drives I had on the old computers but they are not recognized by the new computers. Both of the computers have received all Windows Updates. I have downloaded the...
  5. Windows 10 won't recognize Toshiba External Hard Drive. Please Help!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 won't recognize Toshiba External Hard Drive. Please Help!: Windows 10 won't recognize Toshiba External Hard Drive. Please Help! 1 Toshiba "Canvio" 320 Gig HD, only 5 years old works *FINE* with old XP laptop 2 New Windows 10 Laptop doesn't recognize the HD in ANY way - Does not "ka-dunk" when attached - Not seen in Device...
  6. Toshiba external hard drive not recognized

Toshiba external hard drive not recognized: [ATTACH] This is a Toshiba 3Tb external hard drive I have used in the past and it worked fine until one day I got this error. I have tried updating drivers, windows says I have the latest version. I've looked into partitioning, windows doesn't even show the hard drive. I...
  7. Hard Drive Failure. Please Advise.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Hard Drive Failure. Please Advise.: Hi there First time I've asked a question here so here goes. My daughters HP laptop will not boot up. Used HP diagnostic built in and it says hard drive is failing. I think I can recover her photos , files etc by removing hard disk and backing up to new drive BUT.......
  8. Older Toshiba USB External Hard Drive won't show up when searching for it...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Older Toshiba USB External Hard Drive won't show up when searching for it...: Normally a driver will installl automatically for these portable hard drives when the USB cable is connected. Howerver, I have an older portable Toshiba HDD that I am trying to view files on and I'm using a Windows 10 Microsoft Surface Pro 2 to access these files. Can't find...
  9. USB not recognizing external hard drive

USB not recognizing external hard drive: Brand new laptop does not give connecting sound when usb drive is plugged in. Drive works on older computer and usb port on new computer works with other peripherals. Restarted with drive already plugged in and there was no new hardware found. Device Manager shows no...
  10. Toshiba external hard drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Toshiba external hard drive: windows 10. I installed the harddrive. did everything by the book. The device has been recognised and the owners manual uploaded to device, then I backed up to device, but can't open any files. The file icons are shown, but don't show size and I can't open any?...