Windows 10: Windows 10 won't recognize VGA monitor

Discus and support Windows 10 won't recognize VGA monitor in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; I have connected my new HP / Windows 10 laptop up to my VGA monitor (which worked with my last laptop under Windows 7). The monitor is not recognized... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by smilingbandit, Nov 30, 2016.

1. Windows 10 won't recognize VGA monitor

I have connected my new HP / Windows 10 laptop up to my VGA monitor (which worked with my last laptop under Windows 7). The monitor is not recognized by anything under the Control Panel or Windows + P or display preferences or anything I try.

Now I am connected via an HDMI to VGA converter - and that could be the problem. Either I need to do something to digitally to reach this connector or ascertain if it doesn't work. Any help is appreciated!

:)

smilingbandit, Nov 30, 2016
  2. Don_Gerra Win User

Second monitor no longer working on the latest Windows 10 version

Hoping someone can help here...

I have an older Acer notebook that I was using a second monitor connected to the VGA port. It was secondary to the main laptop display. It was working perfectly fine under Windows 10 up until the latest update of Windows 10. If I plug the monitor into
    the VGA port it is usable, but the laptop display is not usable. If I unplug the monitor from the VGA port, the laptop display is usable. So it seems to recognize the monitor on the VGA port, it just won't recognize both displays simultaneously.

Anything I can do to fix this? The driver, and everything else, was working at some point under Windows 10...did something change in the latest update?

Don_Gerra, Nov 30, 2016
  3. SML1693 Win User
    dual monitors using a 2 port VGA monitor splitter Y cable?

How can I get Windows 10 to recognize dual monitors using a 2 port VGA monitor splitter Y cable? Display settings does not detect the second monitor.

SML1693, Nov 30, 2016
  4. Windows 10 won't recognize VGA monitor

Passive or active adapter? HDMI is digital only, and VGA is an analog signal.

alphanumeric, Nov 30, 2016
  5. Aigh. It's probably passive if it isn't working -- but what would be the point of creating an adapter that didn't, yknow, adapt?

smilingbandit, Dec 1, 2016
  6. In some cases It depends on how they are used. A better question might have been 1 adapter or 2? I've seen people plug an HDMI to DVI adapter into a DVI to VGA adapter and then wonder why it didn't work? They will each work as intended when used separately but not when connected together. A DVI-I on a video card is analog and digital. HDMI is digital only. Post a link to the adapter your using and maybe we can sort it out.

alphanumeric, Dec 1, 2016
  7. smilingbandit, Dec 1, 2016
  8. Windows 10 won't recognize VGA monitor

Looks to be active, according to the description. As it should be. Why its not working I don't know? I haven't given up just mulling things over.

9. Best guess is Windows isn't getting EDID info for the monitor. So it's not listed, even as "Generic PNP" in Device Manger > Monitors? Or shown in Settings > System > Display? Just reconfirming, running out of ideas.

10. I checked under Monitors on Device Manager and it is listed as a Generic PnP. It says it's functioning, I updated the drivers.

Reaching my wits end with it ...

smilingbandit, Dec 1, 2016
  11. What happens when you press *Start + P, do you get the Extend option?

12. You may just have to set the correct resolution in Settings > System > Display for that monitor?

13. Windows 10 won't recognize VGA monitor

Yes, I get the Extend option, but when I click on it nothing happens.

The monitor worked fine with my old device. I think the problem is the adapter.

smilingbandit, Dec 2, 2016
  14. Check to make sure it's set the correct resolution in Settings > System > Display. I have a portable USB 3 monitor I use on my laptop. When I first started using it in Windows 8 it did the same thing. The default resolution was wrong for its size. It won't display anything. Once I set that correctly, and rebooted, it worked fine. In Windows 10, it gets assigned the correct resolution first time I plug it in and I don't have to mess with it. Mine uses DiplayLink.

alphanumeric, Dec 2, 2016
  15. Does Windows 10 have an inherent problem with VGA monitors? Do I need a different driver?

smilingbandit, Dec 3, 2016
Thema:

Windows 10 won't recognize VGA monitor

1. Windows 10 won't recognize VGA monitor - Similar Threads - won't recognize VGA

2. Why won't Win11 recognize my VGA and HDMI monitors separately?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why won't Win11 recognize my VGA and HDMI monitors separately?: I connect two external monitors to an HP envy 2 in 1 laptop through a USB-C hub connected to the USB-C port. Both displays are accurately identified when connected one at a time but show up as combined with connected at the same time "HDMI+VGA 1780". I can extend the display...
  3. Why won't Win11 recognize my VGA and HDMI monitors separately?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why won't Win11 recognize my VGA and HDMI monitors separately?: I connect two external monitors to an HP envy 2 in 1 laptop through a USB-C hub connected to the USB-C port. Both displays are accurately identified when connected one at a time but show up as combined with connected at the same time "HDMI+VGA 1780". I can extend the display...
  4. VGA to HDMI not recognized by Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    VGA to HDMI not recognized by Windows 11: After the windows 11 install, my computer no longer reconizes the VGA to HDMI adapter. How can i fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/vga-to-hdmi-not-recognized-by-windows-11/c5996b1b-e89e-4b2f-a207-bd788497a6e5
  5. VGA to HDMI not recognized by Windows 11

VGA to HDMI not recognized by Windows 11: After the windows 11 install, my computer no longer reconizes the VGA to HDMI adapter. How can i fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/vga-to-hdmi-not-recognized-by-windows-11/c5996b1b-e89e-4b2f-a207-bd788497a6e5
  6. Monitor hooked through a DB9 to VGA adapter not recognizing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Monitor hooked through a DB9 to VGA adapter not recognizing: I've finally bought the last cord that I need to hook up a second monitor, at least I thought so. It's a VGA monitor that I'm currently running into a VGA/DB9 adapter, given that my PC only has one VGA port and 0 HDMI ports. However I can't seem to get the computer to...
  7. Monitor hooked through a DB9 to VGA adapter not recognizing

Monitor hooked through a DB9 to VGA adapter not recognizing: I've finally bought the last cord that I need to hook up a second monitor, at least I thought so. It's a VGA monitor that I'm currently running into a VGA/DB9 adapter, given that my PC only has one VGA port and 0 HDMI ports. However I can't seem to get the computer to...
  8. Monitor hooked through a DB9 to VGA adapter not recognizing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  9. a vga monitor

a vga monitor: hi I purchased a better graphics card for one of my pc. s regretfully I sold it on. this was a gtx 980. now the new gtx 1070 will not recognise my vga monitor. I have tried running it through various adapters . i.e vga to dvi and hdmi to vga. hdmi to dvi. all no good....
  10. 2nd monitor using DVI-D to VGA won't detect on Windows 10

2nd monitor using DVI-D to VGA won't detect on Windows 10: I have windows 10 now and I wanted to use multiple monitors, I have both connected to my GeForce GTX 1080 Ti one through HDMI (This one works fine) and I have one running through a DVI-D to VGA adapter which connects to my other monitor and it doesn't work. I've tried...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 not recognizing vga monitor

2. acer monitor not recognised windows 10 vga to hdmi adaptor

3. monitor vga loc:US

4. windows 10 vga display,
  5. pc doent recognise monitor connected by vga,
  6. windows 10 recognize vga monitor,
  7. windows 10 not recognizing vga display,
  8. how to get the laptop to recognize vga adapter,
  9. windows not recognizing vga monitor,
  10. how to check if windows recognize vga card windows 10,
  11. how to get windows 10 to recognize monitor adapter that has two chords,