Windows 10: Windows 10 won't shut down or hibernate

Discus and support Windows 10 won't shut down or hibernate in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; A while ago I was testing out another OS (Linux to be specific) and dual-booting it with my Windows 10. I decided to erase Linux and in doing so, I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by SleepyNeon, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Windows 10 won't shut down or hibernate

A while ago I was testing out another OS (Linux to be specific) and dual-booting it with my Windows 10. I decided to erase Linux and in doing so, I faced an error starting up windows: "Reboot and Select proper Boot device...". I rebooted many times and changed BIOS boot order, went to command prompt and tried to fix bootrec and such commands; none working. (Also note that after erasing the Linux partition I used AOMEI partition assistant to repair my MBR)

I reinstalled Linux and am now using it's grub menu to boot windows without any problem, however; after this incident, my windows has faced some issues including:

1- Unable to put it in Hibernate mode: whenever I select the option it just locks the screen, failing to shut down.

2- Unable to shut down when fast startup is enabled: I had to disable the option to be able to shutdown my PC.

3- Unable to install Windows updates: I can download updates but when I restart so windows can install them, after a while the error shows up: "Unable to install updates, undoing changes"

:)

SleepyNeon, Dec 4, 2019
  2. claylomax Win User

Shutting down, hibernating, or sleeping?

Speaking of ... I just built a new PC with an AMD Kaveri and Windows 7 64 and the option sleep is greyed out, I get shut down and hibernate; it's funny, on my PC (see specs) I get sleep and shut down not hibernate. I tried the bios but I'm clueless. Any ideas?

claylomax, Dec 4, 2019
  3. Ernie San Win User
    hibernate, but shuts down

Hello,

We suggest to manually setup hibernation on your computer. You may follow the steps below:

• Right-click on your desktop and select Personalize.
    • Click Lock screen>Screen saver settings>Change power settings>Choose what the power buttons do.

• Change the settings When I press the power button, click
      hibernate.
    • Click Save changes.
    Keep us posted.

Regards.

Ernie San, Dec 4, 2019
  4. Windows 10 won't shut down or hibernate

"Shutting Down" to "Hibernate"

Hi,

Thank you for responding.

I suggest you to try the below and check if it helps.

Step 1: Check for the device drivers status in Device Manager.

• Press Windows key + X key when you are at desktop.
    • Select Device Manager.
    • Check if any of the drivers have warning message(Yellow triangle with exclamatory mark).

Step 2: Start the computer in Safe mode, try to shutdown and check if the sleep mode/ hibernate is working fine.

Refer: Start your PC in safe mode in Windows 10

Try the above and reply to the post with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Dec 4, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 won't shut down or hibernate

1. Windows 10 won't shut down or hibernate - Similar Threads - won't shut down

2. shut down and hibernate not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    shut down and hibernate not working: my notebook computer. when I shun down or hibernate, the screen will dark a few seconds and then turn to light. for solve the problem, I have reinstalled in USB flash drive but invalid. I try to turn off fast startup follow advice on Internet. In Administrator cmd, I'm run...
  3. shut down and hibernate not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    shut down and hibernate not working: my notebook computer. when I shun down or hibernate, the screen will dark a few seconds and then turn to light. for solve the problem, I have reinstalled in USB flash drive but invalid. I try to turn off fast startup follow advice on Internet. In Administrator cmd, I'm run...
  4. Windows 11 shutting down and not Hibernating

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 shutting down and not Hibernating: So I got the message to update to Windows 11, and that's what I did.Prior to the update I had sleep off, and Hibernate after 60mins. and do not wake.After upgrading, my PC shuts down after an hour instead of hibernating.I can not find these settings in Windows 11 to verify...
  5. Windows 11 shutting down and not Hibernating

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 shutting down and not Hibernating: So I got the message to update to Windows 11, and that's what I did.Prior to the update I had sleep off, and Hibernate after 60mins. and do not wake.After upgrading, my PC shuts down after an hour instead of hibernating.I can not find these settings in Windows 11 to verify...
  6. Computer won't sleep, hibernate, nor shut down.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer won't sleep, hibernate, nor shut down.: I encountered a bugcheck, and ever since then, my computer won't sleep, hibernate, nor shut down. Any attempts to pause the operation of the computer shows the login screen after a couple seconds of turning the monitor off.Before the bugcheck, pressing the power button...
  7. Windows 10 won't shut down or hibernate

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 won't shut down or hibernate: I've been turning my PC off by holding down the power button for months because it refuses to shut down or hibernate the normal way. I've seen people with similar issues fix theirs by disabling some fast startup setting but this hasn't worked for me. I hope you guys have...
  8. Hibernation shuts down the PC

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Hibernation shuts down the PC: Everytime I click on hibernate, instead of hibernating, it immediately and instantly shuts down the PC and next time I open up, I have to open all apps. It just goes OFF instantly The power plan settings hard disk turn off is set to 0 as advised. This happened after may 2020...
  9. HIbernate or shut down?

in Windows 10 Support
    HIbernate or shut down?: I've always had the practice of shutting down my home pc/laptop before going to bed. I always used the hibernate option throughout the day while I"m working on it/them. A lot of my friends had their hard drives crashed and always used the hibernate option. This despite the...
  10. Windows will not shut down, hibernate or sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows will not shut down, hibernate or sleep: I had problem dual booting win7 and win10. After many attempts I was able to dual boot. But in the process, I deleted "system reserved" partition. So windows want start. I performed start up repair and it solved the problem. After that I reinstalled win7 ultimate which...