Windows 10: Windows 10 won't shut off unless I do hard shutdown

Discus and support Windows 10 won't shut off unless I do hard shutdown in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Upgraded my computer to win10 a month ago. I am getting used to it. But, I do have a problem. I cannot shut down my computer with the mouse. Only a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by opy dopy, Feb 11, 2020.

1. opy dopy Win User

Windows 10 won't shut off unless I do hard shutdown

Upgraded my computer to win10 a month ago. I am getting used to it. But, I do have a problem. I cannot shut down my computer with the mouse. Only a "hard" shutdown works. I have tried using the Malicious Software Removal Tool and my Norton's 360 to run checks. I set both these to shut down the computer when finished. Neither can do so. I sometimes get a notice that "this app will not let me shutdown", but can't find a way to find out "what app" is blocking the shutdown. Any help would be appreciated.

:)

opy dopy, Feb 11, 2020
  2. Ernie San Win User

Windows 10 is unable to complete shut down

We suggest doing these troubleshooting steps below:

Method 1. Hard Reset

• Shut down your computer.
    • Remove the cable and wires connected to your computer.
    • Press the Power button for 10 seconds to completely drain your device.
    • Check if there's any changes.
    Method 2. Shutdown trick.

• Press Windows key.
    • Press and hold Shift.
    • Click the Power icon.
    • Select and click Shutdown.
    Let us know the outcome.

Ernie San, Feb 11, 2020
  3. Drone Win User
    [Solved] Windows 10 and the shutdown button

Duh, you're right.

r - restart
    s - shutdown

full shutdown command is:

shutdown /s /t 0

Drone, Feb 11, 2020
  4. Windows 10 won't shut off unless I do hard shutdown

little cat, Feb 11, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 won't shut off unless I do hard shutdown

1. Windows 10 won't shut off unless I do hard shutdown - Similar Threads - won't shut off

2. Why does Laptop do a hard shut-off on sleep mode?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Why does Laptop do a hard shut-off on sleep mode?: This started about a month ago on my Acer E5-576G Aspire laptop with Windows 10 Home 64 bit. Two SSD drives, 16GB ram. All drivers, including Nvidia GeForce and Intel drivers are up to date. Windows 10 updates and the system BIOS are also up to date. When sleep mode is...
  3. Windows won't shutdown

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows won't shutdown: I got this machine that doesn't shutdown, I have tried restarting, force restart, forced shutdown on CMD but I can't get it to shutdown, unless I power it off using the power button. Boots up well and I can login shutting down is the issue Anyone experienced this before or...
  4. PC won’t shutdown unless I force shutdown by holding power button

PC won’t shutdown unless I force shutdown by holding power button: Hi, My computer has been having problem shutdown completely. Whenever I clicked “shutdown”, the screen would turn dark, but the PC was still running because I could hear the fan, and my headset’s light was on (usually when it was completely shutdown, the light of the...
  5. My PC freezes and i need to do hard shutdown!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My PC freezes and i need to do hard shutdown!: Hello! 2 months ago i bought a PC. After 2 weeks it started to freeze , i was waiting for about an hour, but it was still not responding. It makes sometimes a buzzing sounds. So i tried to reinstall my windows and it still freezes , im sure its HW problem. I can still do a...
  6. Windows won't boot unless I press a key

Windows won't boot unless I press a key: I was dual-booting Windows 10 and Kubuntu but decided to delete my Linux partition using the disk manager (rookie mistake), which made me unable to boot into Windows since the Grub bootloader couldn't find the now deleted Linux installation. I used a bootable USB with...
  7. Windows won't start unless hard boot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows won't start unless hard boot: I recently developed a problem where my system won't start unless I hard boot my laptop. If I shut it down normally and then turn it on, it only displays a black screen with the cursor and freezes. If I hard boot it and then start it up it runs normally. If I restart...
  8. How do I shut off aeroplane mode

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    How do I shut off aeroplane mode: I have windows 10. microsoft have done update. airoplane mode is now flashing and blocking my internet access. Have attempted to turn of, Not possible as this is also flashing and does not allow movement of switch/button. Help...
  9. How do I shut off the Cortana displays?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I shut off the Cortana displays?: [img] 62435
  10. Computer won't turn on/shutting off randomly

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer won't turn on/shutting off randomly: So ever since I updated operating system to Windows 10, my HP Pavilion computer has been shutting down with no warning. And now my computer won't even turn on. My desktop does not overheat, the CPU and the Memory does not go over 50%, have not installed any new programs...