Windows 10: Windows 10 Won't Sleep

Discus and support Windows 10 Won't Sleep in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hey, I know this has been covered in other threads. Sorry to post again but nothing I have found anywhere seems to resolve this issue. I’ve... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mbridge87, Nov 27, 2015.

1. mbridge87 Win User

Windows 10 Won't Sleep

Hey,

I know this has been covered in other threads. Sorry to post again but nothing I have found anywhere seems to resolve this issue.

I’ve been running windows 10 for a little while now and thus far have had little to no issues. Recently, last week or so, the computer won’t go to sleep unless I do it manually. It will also, on occasion, wake itself from sleep mode, although this only happens sporadically.

I have tried lots of things to fix this and have hence probably forgotten a few but I’ll write down what I can remember.

1) Adjust sleep times in power management
    2) Go into advanced settings and check everything there. Change the settings for media at the bottom and the allow wake timers settings
    3) Go into device manager and stop the Ethernet etc. from waking the computer
    4) Reset all power settings to default, just in case
    5) Updating drivers
    6) Ran powercfg /energy in command prompt. This was a little confusing as the results were often different. The latest reports don’t say that anything is preventing the comp from sleeping…

I know I’ve tried other things but I’m a little tired right now and cannot think what.

I’d love some help with this. Please let me know if you need any info from me.

Asus P8z77v
    Intel i7-3770K
    Nvidia gtx 760

:)

mbridge87, Nov 27, 2015

2. Dell inspiron windows 10

Dell inspiron windows 10 in sleep mode won't wake u

ConnieHuffman, Nov 27, 2015
  3. I upgraded to windows 10 and my computer won't wake up from sleep ... I have to shut down and restart when in sleep mode

I upgraded to windows 10 and my computer won't wake up from sleep ... I have to shut down and restart when in sleep mode

Williamvon Gonten, Nov 27, 2015
  4. mbridge87 Win User

Windows 10 Won't Sleep

Would really really love some help here. I have no idea how to fix this...

mbridge87, Nov 30, 2015
  5. philc43 Win User
    Actually this happened to me yesterday and I traced it to a program that had not loaded properly and was hogging resources in the background. A restart fixed it.

In your case it may be something similar but it is a case of tracking it down. Use Task Manager to try and find what processes are running in the background and see if there are any that are unusually active. Alternative just try temporarily disabling the programs that appear in the Task Manager Start-up tab one by one and restart each time. By a process of elimination you should find what is causing the problem.

philc43, Nov 30, 2015
  6. mbridge87 Win User
    Hey,

Thanks for the suggestion.

I tried disabling programs in Task manager (in groups of 3 to save time) and restarting after each. Sadly there was no change. The computer still won't go to sleep.

Any other ideas?

mbridge87, Nov 30, 2015
  7. philc43 Win User
    I know you have checked out the other threads but did you see this one?

I suspect it might be a driver issue for you too. Updating drivers clearly made the problem worse!

philc43, Nov 30, 2015
  8. socklosk Win User

Windows 10 Won't Sleep

Try disabling wake on LAN.

socklosk, Nov 30, 2015
  9. mbridge87 Win User
    Thanks for the suggestion.

If you are referring to the setting when right clicking on one of the network devices in Device Manager, then I'm afraid I have already tried this. Just in case, I gave it another go. No joy.

mbridge87, Nov 30, 2015
  10. mbridge87 Win User
    Hey all,

I tried rolling back whatever drivers I could 1 by 1 to see if any of those could be causing the problem. Didn't work *Sad.

I then tried a random stab in the dark. I recently added a couple of my email accounts in the accounts section of settings. I changed the settings on those to stop sync. The computer went to sleep. For a moment I was happy, but it never happened again and no matter what I tried it still would not sleep. It was a fluke I suppose but I have no idea why.

Any more suggestions or do I have to perform a clean install?

mbridge87, Nov 30, 2015
  11. PLCMAN58 Win User
    Do you have a game controller or other USB device connected? 1st try unplugging the game controller to see if that cures your issue. I fought this issue after updating to Windows 10 and traced it to the RealFlight Controller that I have always plugged into the computer. This uses a standard driver provided by Microsoft. Other in the forum have reported success once they removed any game controller from the system.

PLCMAN58, Dec 1, 2015
  12. philc43 Win User
    @mbridge87, I notice that you have the same motherboard as I have. When I first installed W10 I used the W10 drivers that ASUS provided on their website and actually found I had a number of problems with them. I got on much better by using the drivers that W10 installed and removed all the ASUS drivers. In particular the on-board sound drivers were a problem and I found the W10 drivers on the Realtek site were much better - I'm on ver 6.0.1.7541.

Not sure what drivers you have installed but if you can share which versions you are running I can compare with mine. As well as the sound driver I found the generic version of the LAN driver to work better too.

philc43, Dec 1, 2015
  13. mbridge87 Win User

Windows 10 Won't Sleep

@philc43, thanks. I appreciate your continued help. Wish I knew more to fix this myself.

I know this will sounds stupid, so bare with me. I 've always found drivers a little confusing. There's so many and I never know what to get. I use a program called slim drivers to automatically check for drivers. Since this issue I've been trying to learn more. I guess I just never know where to find the right ones, what to download etc. It's silly but if nobody's ever told you, you never learn.

I think I have all the correct ones at the moment but here goes. I'll try to list the main ones, at least what I think are the main ones, let me know if any are left out.

Graphics Card Nvidia gtx 760 - 10.18.13.5906 (obviously not related to motherboard but I thought I may as well add it)
    Standard SATA AHCI Controller - 10.0.10586.0
    Intel (R) 82579V Gigabit Network Connection - 12.12.50.6
    Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 Wireless Network Adaptor - 3.0.2.182
    Realtek High Def Audio - 6.0.1.7541

In terms of USB devices. I did try unplugging everything a while ago. All I left in was the monitor cable and power. This didn't work either. The devices themselves vary but none are game related, joysticks etc. I have:

Wireless receiver for Logitech (unplugged this and used wired keyboard to test)
    Wireless receiver for Wacom tablet (graphics tablet)
    2 x external HDD
    USB going to monitor which provides power to it's ports

That's it I think.

Thanks again everyone.

mbridge87, Dec 1, 2015
  14. philc43 Win User
    All looks good - you have a different Ethernet adapter to me but our boards may be slightly different, mine is the P8Z77-V LX. Are you using wireless to connect to your router or an Ethernet cable? That could be one more test to try, use a cable connection and disable the wireless card to see if it is the wireless adapter that is keeping your system awake.

philc43, Dec 1, 2015
  15. TDOZ Win User
    Hi, If you have a Realtek Network adaptor, Have you checked the Advanced tab off the properties? Look for "Wake on pattern match"and set it to Disabled. I had to do this a while ago to fix random wake up issues. That was fine until the Win10 upgrade, then everything got reset, so had to repeat the above. NOTE: if you get the Win10 1511 update, that will ALSO reset a lot of driver settings, including that one, so watch out for that, as you might have to do it again! Hope this helps, TD

Thema:

Windows 10 Won't Sleep

1. Windows 10 Won't Sleep - Similar Threads - Won't Sleep

2. Computer Sometimes Won't Turn Off After Shutdown or Enter Sleep Correctly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer Sometimes Won't Turn Off After Shutdown or Enter Sleep Correctly: hello,So I have been having a strange problem. It doesn't happen ALOT but it does happen. Out of nowhere when I shut down the computer in Windows the screen will turn off but the computer will stay on. The keyboard lights and mouse lights go out. Pressing keys does nothing. I...
  3. Computer Sometimes Won't Turn Off After Shutdown or Enter Sleep Correctly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer Sometimes Won't Turn Off After Shutdown or Enter Sleep Correctly: hello,So I have been having a strange problem. It doesn't happen ALOT but it does happen. Out of nowhere when I shut down the computer in Windows the screen will turn off but the computer will stay on. The keyboard lights and mouse lights go out. Pressing keys does nothing. I...
  4. LG Gram 17" laptop won't wake from sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    LG Gram 17" laptop won't wake from sleep: I am running Windows 11 Home version. Seems recently I cannot seem to get the laptop to wake from sleep mode without holding down the power button and restarting the laptop.This is a recent thing as last month, tapping the spacebar would always wake the laptop. I even went as...
  5. LG Gram 17" laptop won't wake from sleep

LG Gram 17" laptop won't wake from sleep: I am running Windows 11 Home version. Seems recently I cannot seem to get the laptop to wake from sleep mode without holding down the power button and restarting the laptop.This is a recent thing as last month, tapping the spacebar would always wake the laptop. I even went as...
  6. PC won't wake up from sleep, I tried almost everything

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC won't wake up from sleep, I tried almost everything: Windows 11, AMD 7800X3D, Asus Mobo, 4090.Yesterday was first time I've been using Sleep button in Windows. You know the option near Turn Off PC, Logout...When my PC goes to sleep due to inactivity I had zero problems to wake him up with the mouse or keyboard.Monitor says no...
  7. PC won't wake up from sleep, I tried almost everything

PC won't wake up from sleep, I tried almost everything: Windows 11, AMD 7800X3D, Asus Mobo, 4090.Yesterday was first time I've been using Sleep button in Windows. You know the option near Turn Off PC, Logout...When my PC goes to sleep due to inactivity I had zero problems to wake him up with the mouse or keyboard.Monitor says no...
  8. Windows 11 Display Won't Go To Sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Display Won't Go To Sleep: the screen finally turns off after 15 minutes..this is too long. if i set it for 5 something wakes it up, if i set it for anything else it doesnt respond to it.i did powercfg -requests with none on all. i did a clean install of windows keeping my files only.no hardware...
  9. Windows 11 Display Won't Go To Sleep

Windows 11 Display Won't Go To Sleep: the screen finally turns off after 15 minutes..this is too long. if i set it for 5 something wakes it up, if i set it for anything else it doesnt respond to it.i did powercfg -requests with none on all. i did a clean install of windows keeping my files only.no hardware...
  10. New PC Won't Enter Sleep Mode

New PC Won't Enter Sleep Mode: I bought a new PC running Windows 11 Pro. It will not enter sleep mode when I click Sleep from the start menu. The screen turns off, but the fans and RGB lights on my PC stay on and running. Any slight movement of the mouse instantly turns to screen on with no hesitation. I...