Windows 10: Windows 10 won't turn off displays nor go to sleep mode automatically

Discus and support Windows 10 won't turn off displays nor go to sleep mode automatically in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi everyone, as the title says my windows 10 installation won't turn off monitors after the specified time nor will it go to sleep after the set time... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Edregol, Apr 4, 2020.

1. Edregol Win User

Windows 10 won't turn off displays nor go to sleep mode automatically

Hi everyone,

as the title says my windows 10 installation won't turn off monitors after the specified time nor will it go to sleep after the set time in the power management settings.

This problem exists for quite some time now. It might date back to one of the infamous spring or fall updates 2019. Whenever I reinstall windows there is a slight chance for this to work. After a recent fresh windows installation it didn't work anymore, however reinstalling windows until it works is not an option for me.

I've tried everything I was able to find by searching the internet.

Windows is up to date. At least that's what is says when I run Windows update.

I've installed and updated chipset and onboard hardware drivers via MSI Dragoncenter. So system hardware does have the latest vendor drivers installed. Same goes for every other hardware. If I was able to find an up to date vendor driver its installed.
    Anything else has drivers provided by Windows. There is no device in the device manager which has missing drivers.

running "powercfg -requests" in powershell shows "none" for every entry. So as far as I understand, there is no hard- or software preventing the system from going to sleep mode, or turning off the displays.

I've removed the setting "allow this device to prevent the system from going to sleep" for almost every device which has this option.
    My understanding is that, if no devices shows up in "powercfg -requests" removing the option in the device manager doesn't do anything though.

In power settings mode I've changed the option "multimedia settings -> when sharing media" to "allow the computer to sleep". Again this should not change anything since powercfg doesn't show anything in the first place.

Running the troubleshooter for "power" states that everything is working fine.

However, manually putting my system to sleep works fine. It stays in this state until I wake the system.

Nothing I did helped. My system still does not go to sleep nor does it turn of displays. Does anyone have an idea what I can do?
    If you need more information please let me know I'll try to get you anything I can.

Regards,
    Edregol

:)

Edregol, Apr 4, 2020
  2. lollygags Win User

Turn off display and sleep mode problem

I have the Windows 10 upgrade from 8.1 and my computer will not turn off the display or go into sleep mode according to the power settings. I currently have it set to turn off the display after 5 minutes and go to sleep after 30 minutes. I ran the Power
    Troubleshooter and it said it found an issue with the "Turn hard disk off after" selection and changed it to 20 minutes but the displays still won't turn off and the computer doesn't go into sleep mode as scheduled. I am however able to put the pc into sleep
    mode manually from the start menu so it's not like sleep mode doesn't work it just doesn't happen automatically according to the power settings. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

lollygags, Apr 4, 2020
  3. Robert Aldwinckle on forums, Apr 4, 2020
  4. Windows 10 won't turn off displays nor go to sleep mode automatically

Computer won't go to sleep or turn off display automatically

I recently upgraded to Windows 10 and since I upgraded my computer won't turn off the display or enter sleep mode automatically. I currently have my computer set to turn off the display after 1 minute and go to sleep after 5 minutes. However, when my computer
    isn't logged in it will turn off the display and go to sleep automatically but it won't do it when it is logged in. Is there any idea how to fix this problem?

Perty Lady Ariel, Apr 4, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 won't turn off displays nor go to sleep mode automatically

1. Windows 10 won't turn off displays nor go to sleep mode automatically - Similar Threads - won't turn off

2. Windows 10 won't go to sleep automatically

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 won't go to sleep automatically: My windows 10 desktop pc won't go to sleep automatically. I've changed the power settings to put my screen and pc to sleep after 30 minutes of inactivity but only my monitor goes to sleep. If i do it by the power button it goes to sleep immediately. There's no apps running as...
  3. Windows 10 won't go to sleep automatically

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 won't go to sleep automatically: My windows 10 desktop pc won't go to sleep automatically. I've changed the power settings to put my screen and pc to sleep after 30 minutes of inactivity but only my monitor goes to sleep. If i do it by the power button it goes to sleep immediately. There's no apps running as...
  4. Windows 10 won't go to sleep automatically

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 won't go to sleep automatically

Windows 10 won't go to sleep automatically: Windows 10 x64 Desktop PC, always plugged in It will not enter Sleep automatically, in performance or balanced power mode. It will go to Sleep when I press Start Menu / Power / Sleep. Is there a solution or a utility that will scan and find the problem?...
  6. Windows 10 won't go to sleep automatically

Windows 10 won't go to sleep automatically: I'm running Windows 10 Pro 20H2 and recently discovered it had stopped going to sleep automatically. The Sleep function worked OK manually and waking up was not an issue, but my Sleep settings were simply not working. I followed the numerous postings on this issue and tried...
  7. Windows 10 won't go to sleep and turn off screen

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 won't go to sleep and turn off screen: My computer won't go to sleep or turn off the screen even after the time I set it to. I went to the cmd and typed in powercfg -requests and got nothing from there. I also went into the advanced power settings and allowed the computer to sleep in the "When sharing media" tab...
  8. Issues with turning off display and sleep mode

Issues with turning off display and sleep mode: Hi I have a brand new Asus VivoBook laptop and the display is not turning off and the computer is not going to sleep for the times I've set. I've tried the Power troubleshooter, restoring Balanced plan to defaults, and turning off fast start up with no success. The screen...
  9. PC won't turn off or go to sleep

PC won't turn off or go to sleep: So couple days ago I got this problem where my PC won't turn off or go to sleep, when I click it just says "Shuting Down" and suddenly "Welcome". I tried Disk Checkup and all but I couldn't fix this issue. And I have the newest update installed....
  10. Windows 10 won't go to sleep automatically

Windows 10 won't go to sleep automatically: For about 2 weeks, my Windows 10 will no longer go to sleep automatically, based on the power options. The display still turns off automatically. I can still put it to sleep manually. But it never goes to sleep automatically anymore, after the set amount of time. Prior...