Windows 10: Windows 10 won't upgrade, any ideas?

Discus and support Windows 10 won't upgrade, any ideas? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; My computer was an upgrade through the Windows 8 purchase from XP, to Windows 10 Preview and then to Windows 10 official update. It is Pro version. It... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by glennc, Dec 29, 2015.

1. glennc Win User

Windows 10 won't upgrade, any ideas?

My computer was an upgrade through the Windows 8 purchase from XP, to Windows 10 Preview and then to Windows 10 official update. It is Pro version. It seems to work correctly and has been updating as far as I can tell, except the last big update. It never shows the option to do that update and as advised I have been waiting. I had it on dual boot with Linux which I recently deleted and reset to 10 only.
    My wife's laptop upgraded correctly weeks ago.
    Any ideas?

:)

glennc, Dec 29, 2015
  2. KandJC Win User

windows 10 wifi problems on a toshiba p745

Original Windows 7. Just loaded Windows 10 upgrade. Windows 10 upgrade won't turn wifi.Wifi Settings won't allow to turn the switch to the ON position. Toshiba Sattellite P745-S4102. Any help is appreciated.

KandJC, Dec 29, 2015
  3. Windows10 upgrade

windows 10 free upgrade, Dec 29, 2015
  4. davidhk Win User

Not sure why you don't get the update, but, if you don't want to wait any longer, use this method.....................

Use one of the links below and download the current Windows 10 ISO:

Media Creation Tool ( MCT ) :
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10

Tech Bench
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softw...load/techbench

Using MCT as example................
    Download the Tool and run it.
    Then select Create installation media for another PC
    That will begin downloading the ISO file to your computer.
    When download is completed, RIGHT click at the ISO > click Mount > click Setup.exe.
    That will begin installing Windows 10.
    You have the choice of keeping settings, files and apps, ot keeping nothing.
    No product key is required.
    Activation will be automatic.

davidhk, Dec 29, 2015
  5. glennc Win User
    Hello davidhk,
    Thank you for the information and the route to a successful update. I will give it a go. Thanks again!

glennc, Dec 29, 2015
  6. davidhk Win User
    You are welcome.

Good luck.

Make sure you pay attention to what it says on the screen.
    Make sure you have selected the correct bit version as well as the Pro edition and the language your machine is using.

davidhk, Dec 29, 2015
  7. glennc Win User
    Well I didn't mount the iso, I just ran the setup from the disk. I shutdown the process and looked for the ability to mount the iso. Didn't find one so I reran setup. It seemed to not start over but continue and I am now looking at ready to install Windows 10 Pro and keep personal files and apps. So fingers crossed. We shall see what it has in-store. Continuing thanks for your time and information!!!!!!1

glennc, Dec 29, 2015
  8. davidhk Win User

For your future reference.....................

You inserted the installation disk. That is why you did not see the Mount option.
    If you read my previous instructions, I asked you to download the ISO and then mount it.
    I did not mention burning the iso to a bootable disk.
    It ok. It will work.
    Just to tell you that you had deviated from what I asked you to do.
    I don't foresee any issue from here on.
    Post back if any.
    If no issue and installation is successful, please come back and mark this thread as Solved. But not until you are sure installation is successful.

davidhk, Dec 29, 2015
  9. glennc Win User
    Yes I did deviate. Your explanation of the problems I brought upon myself are now clear and understood. Thank you once again. I will mark it as solved after checking out the install after it is done!!

glennc, Dec 29, 2015
  10. glennc Win User
    Hello davidhk,
    Windows 10 Pro 10240 is what appears when I run winver. Just as it did before this installation I did. I followed the about and the edition and can't get a version number. So I assume that I still do not have the latest version. I will try to follow the instructions you provided exactly as I might get lucky?!!!

glennc, Dec 30, 2015
  11. davidhk Win User
    Use the link MCT I gave you in Post #2 and follow the instructions.

davidhk, Dec 30, 2015
  12. glennc Win User
    Howdy davidhk,
    The first link goes to a Sorry no longer....... page. The second did come up and has the options Windows 10, Windows 10 KN, Windows 10 N and Windows 10 single language. None seem to specify Windows Pro. Confused!!!
    Thanks

glennc, Dec 30, 2015
  13. davidhk Win User

My apology.
    It's my fault. The error occurred when I copied and pasted the links from one source to another.

Here is the link to MCT
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10

As to the not specifying Windows Pro....... it is because the link includes BOTH the Home and the Pro version.
    If your Win 10 10240 is a Pro version, the installer will detect that and it will install the Pro version automatically.
    So, you will pick Windows 10.

davidhk, Dec 30, 2015
  14. davidhk Win User
    Adding..................
    In light of the fact that you failed to use the links I posted has become clear that you were using an OLD Windows 10 bootable DVD that you have in trying to install the current version.
    That disk you have is for version 10240. THAT is why you ended up with 10240 after a waste of several hours.

Please, next time put everything on the table so I know what to tell you.

davidhk, Dec 30, 2015
  15. glennc Win User
    I apologize for not specifying everything, yes I used a previously downloaded version that was downloaded after the big update to the new revision. I thought it was the new upgrade. I did indeed waste multiple hours. Glad to know the proper version to download and it will be the one marked Windows 10. I am sorry for unintentionally misleading you.
    Thanks

glennc, Dec 30, 2015
Thema:

1. Windows 10 won't upgrade, any ideas? - Similar Threads - won't upgrade ideas

2. any ideas

in Windows 10 Gaming
    any ideas: and still nothing but it seems to work with my phone’s hotspot https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/any-ideas/cf4d3957-9805-4919-bc0a-de57203282b2
  3. any ideas

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    any ideas: and still nothing but it seems to work with my phone’s hotspot https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/any-ideas/cf4d3957-9805-4919-bc0a-de57203282b2
  4. any ideas

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Windows 7 to Windows 10 upgrade fails, any idea of whats causing the issue.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 7 to Windows 10 upgrade fails, any idea of whats causing the issue.: I am trying to upgrade to Windows 10 from a windows 7 Pro using the the media creation tool. I am updating the PC directly and not using the USB to do the update. The update runs and when it reboots, it faults to a troubleshooting screen and then reboots back to Widows7. The...
  6. Exe file won't opn. Any ideas?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Exe file won't opn. Any ideas?: Have done a regedit. Have done a scannow and there's been no change. The following screenshot error occurs when trying to open an exe file. Any ideas? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/exe-file-wont-opn-any-ideas/f8a0db3c-80d7-4093-bc47-93a4dad9c528
  7. Any ideas?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Any ideas?: Hey, can I ask for help? Recently I updated my windows, and as soon as the update finished, there is no volume. I tried to look it at the internet and through device manager but the “sound, game controller” thing was not there. I tried to instqll it but when its installing...
  8. Any ideas?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Any ideas?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/elarsia [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/iin2nl/any_ideas/
  9. Stuck DVD, won't eject. Any ideas? Thanks.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Stuck DVD, won't eject. Any ideas? Thanks.: I tried ejecting from the menu and then by pushing the eject button on the drive. Nothing worked. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/stuck-dvd-wont-eject-any-ideas-thanks/79bc7b89-1917-4e3d-87d5-00ee0b6ac83b
  10. Got a Windows 10 update that won't install - any ideas?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Got a Windows 10 update that won't install - any ideas?: Hi, My mum's Acer laptop suddenly has a Windows 10 update that won't install (gif screenshot attached hopefully) and we can't get rid of it either. I found the Windows Update Troubleshooter and ran that as Administrator but it's made no difference. She's been running...