Windows 10: Windows 10/XP Dual Boot with pre-existing 10 install

Discus and support Windows 10/XP Dual Boot with pre-existing 10 install in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I've been working on capturing all of my old camcorder footage. Unfortunately, I need FireWire capability for that. Very few motherboards put out since... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by bfollowell, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Windows 10/XP Dual Boot with pre-existing 10 install

I've been working on capturing all of my old camcorder footage. Unfortunately, I need FireWire capability for that. Very few motherboards put out since the 1156 socket set have come with FireWire. I purchased an add-on card from Amazon and have it successfully setup in my system with the legacy drivers, but my system still won't see my camcorder. Let's face it, even with the add-on card, there are still modern hardware and operating system hurdles that just make it hard to get good FireWire communications. Windows XP was always the best OS for Windows/FireWire functionality. Everything just got really flaky after that.

I'd like to set up a Windows 10/XP dual boot system long enough for me to archive my old footage. There aren't XP drivers for most of my hardware but, as long as I can see my drives, I know the XP FireWire drivers should see that card, so I don't know that that is really a concern.

Is there any decent way I can setup a dual boot without completely wiping my system and starting fresh? I have a spare 120GB SSD that I'd like to use as the XP drive, just to keep things separate.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

:)

bfollowell, Feb 11, 2018
  2. amschf Win User

Add existing XP install to Windows 10 dual boot

What if I forget about Win10; I can always re-install it later when I fix XP?

Is there any way to rebuild those missing files and get XP booting again?

amschf, Feb 11, 2018
  3. amschf Win User
    Add existing XP install to Windows 10 dual boot

Hi,

I have 2 partitions on the my main drive -one with Windows XP 64bits and the other with Windows 10 64bits- I had to make a clean reinstallation of Windows 10 due to some hardware problem which corrupted many files, for which I had to format the drive, and
    I lost all the boot files from XP (e.g. NTLDR, Boot.ini, and so on) as they were placed on the partition where W10 was installed.

I can now boot W10 normally, but not XP; it doesn't even give me the option to select the OS.

How can I add XP without having to reinstall it again -as I have many personal files and configurations that I can't affort to lose- and go back to my previous XP W10 dual boot?

Thanks in advance for your help.

amschf, Feb 11, 2018
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Windows 10/XP Dual Boot with pre-existing 10 install

Temporarily disconnect the Windows 10 drive. Install Windows XP to the 120 GB SSD. Use your BIOS/UEFI boot menu to pick which drive to boot from after you reconnect the Windows 10 drive. Turn off fast boot and secure boot in BIOS/UEFI before attempting to install Windows XP.

NavyLCDR, Feb 11, 2018
  5. Sounds good. I'm seeing that I'll need to slipstream SATA drivers into my XP install media to get it to see the SSD as well. I'll get that going tomorrow but it doesn't sound too complicated. I'll post back and advise how it goes.

Thanks.

bfollowell, Feb 11, 2018
  6. DeaconFrost, Feb 14, 2018
  7. Samuria Win User
    As you only want it temporary why not use free virtual box for XP the best is VB uses all virtual drivers so shouldn't have any problems it basically is just a file on your HD so there is no risk and it's isolated from Windows. As XP is a security risk duel booting could be a risk

Samuria, Feb 14, 2018
  8. Windows 10/XP Dual Boot with pre-existing 10 install

Because virtual systems get no access to real hardware, so I wouldn't be able to import my videos by FireWire.

bfollowell, Feb 15, 2018
  9. Samuria Win User
  10. I was finally able to get it going. It was a combination of a bad 1394 cable and a burnt out 1394 port on my old camcorder. A friend let me borrow his old one and I've been importing video.

bfollowell, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10/XP Dual Boot with pre-existing 10 install

1. Windows 10/XP Dual Boot with pre-existing 10 install - Similar Threads - Dual Boot pre

2. Dual boot XP on Windows 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dual boot XP on Windows 10 Pro: I have new Windows 10 Pro laptop and want to configure to dual boot Windows XP, what is the best way to go about. Installation on multiple partitions or creating virtual machine using Hyper-V? I need to do this on 10 laptops, what is the easy way to do it. It is possible to...
  3. Dual boot XP on Windows 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dual boot XP on Windows 10 Pro: I have new Windows 10 Pro laptop and want to configure to dual boot Windows XP, what is the best way to go about. Installation on multiple partitions or creating virtual machine using Hyper-V? I need to do this on 10 laptops, what is the easy way to do it. It is possible to...
  4. Dual booting windows with existing installation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual booting windows with existing installation: Hi all, For various (annoying) reasons, I would like to dual boot two windows installations on my laptop. Currently, Windows 10 Enterprise is installed. Would it be possible to create a new partition from which I could boot a new installation of windows 10 for education? I...
  5. windows dual boot between 10 & XP

windows dual boot between 10 & XP: hello everyone! *Smile i'm new here just coming over from sevenforums *Roflmao2 anyway i hope sumone maybe able to give me a quick fix to this mess... ok here's the deal...I;ve got 2 partitions on 1 hard drive.....one is windows 10 installed on C: and the other is windows XP...
  6. Dual boot Windows 10 with XP

Dual boot Windows 10 with XP: Hi all I have recently purchased an OMEN 880 (win 10 home edition pre-installed),with 2 empty bays on top for extra hard drives and I would like to know if it's possible to install the hard drive from my Asus into one of these bays, then dual boot. I have read on the...
  7. Windows 10 dual boot with XP - problems.

Windows 10 dual boot with XP - problems.: Hi all, I had Windows XP on my hard drive for a long time, created a separate partition and installed Windows 10. (both 32 bit). Windows 10 is working fine, it set up the dual boot menu where I can also select Windows XP ("earlier version of Windows"). Problem is, in...
  8. Dual boot XP on top of Windows 10

Dual boot XP on top of Windows 10: I have Windows 10 Home on my PC and I'd like to dual boot Windows XP on top of windows 10. But how to do that since after XP, Windows 10 MBR will be lost. 25724
  9. Dual boot XP on an existing Windows 10 installation.

Dual boot XP on an existing Windows 10 installation.: I have a Toshiba Satellite S875-S7136 laptop. I already have Win10 x64 installed on the disk's primary main partition and the remaining half of the disk is unallocated space. In the BIOS, I set the bios to look for the DVD drive before loading the hard disk. I first tried...
  10. How to set up a dual boot of Windows 7 with pre-existing 10?

How to set up a dual boot of Windows 7 with pre-existing 10?: I am troubleshooting a problem with odd black screens when installing AMD video card drivers in Windows 10. ref. Black screen when installing AMD video drivers - Windows 10 Forums Anyway, I was thinking of quickly installing Windows 7 on a spare partition, so I can better...