Windows 10: Windows 10: You don't have permission to save in this location.....

Discus and support Windows 10: You don't have permission to save in this location..... in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've just installed Windows 10. Now I find I am unable to save documents. A pop up window says contact the administrator for permission. It is a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Jkd, Aug 9, 2015.

1. JKD
    Jkd Win User

Windows 10: You don't have permission to save in this location.....

I've just installed Windows 10. Now I find I am unable to save documents. A pop up window says contact the administrator for permission. It is a private pc and I am the main user and administrator. I've seen lots of posts on other forums for exactly the same problem and several suggested fixes that don't work.

Anyone suggestions?

:)

2. Taffy087 Win User

"You don't have permission to save in this location" when trying to save to Microsoft Works

thanks for this.

Taffy087, Aug 9, 2015
  3. "You don't have permission to save in this location" when trying to save to Microsoft Works

> how do I find the answers to my questions?

Clicking on your blue profile name

gee-jay1

brings you to your profile page where all of your threads are listed.

More info (slightly outdated) here:
    FAQ

Jsssssssss, Aug 9, 2015
  4. ricorp Win User

ricorp, Aug 9, 2015
  5. JKD
    Jkd Win User
    Thanks, I am the owner of all the files and I'm also the administrator on the computer with complete control over all files etc. / except that I no longer have control! I upgraded from Windows 8.1 and on that had no problems.

Anyone have any other suggestions

6. Im having the same problem.......if id known this i wouldve stayed on windows 7 *Mad i cant save anything where i want....

yujimasato, Aug 10, 2015
  7. Koala Win User
    I'm having the same problems, I can save to one drive but not to the PC. Its really frustrating. Does anyone have a fix?

Koala, Aug 10, 2015
  8. Bazz Win User

Your not the only ones it's a common problem after the upgrade and not a universal fix, search the forums some have fixed this and some have not.

Regards

9. JKD
    Jkd Win User
    Yes, I've looked at forums. they include all sorts of ideas and lots of failures to solve the problem.

Here are other ways NOT to solve the problem (I've tried them)

1. Revert to Windows 8.1, since the problem didn't occur in that version. This did not work! I now have the same problem in Windows 8.1

2. Disconnect from the microsoft account and sign in using a local account. Also does not work.

3. Disable all features that you can of One Drive. Also does not work.

10. Bazz Win User
    Wow this is the first time I have seen a windows 10 problem go back to your previous OS.

Did you not create a Disk Image before upgrading that you can restore to put you back to your origanal OS.

11. JKD
    Jkd Win User
    Well, I have everything backed up routinely on an external HD, but I don't know if that is the same as a system image

12. Bazz Win User
    Nope a system image is everything, your whole operating system as it is at the time of the image being taken.

13. JKD
    Jkd Win User

Right, so I can't go back. Still looking for a solution to the problem. I'm finding more 'solutions' on forums that don't work!

14. JKD
    What machine do you have? If you are able to please update your systems specs. Are you currently on windows 8 or windows 10? How many HDD or SSD do you currently have in your machine? Any external drives?

Any locations that you are able to save to? What locations are you not able to save to? Please write out the full path.
    example: C:\Users\generic old account\documents\ is location that I am unable to touch etc...

chris1neji, Aug 10, 2015
  15. JKD
    Jkd Win User
    Hi Chris
    Dell PC that has been upgraded recently and has worked fine until I upgraded to W10 and got this problem.

One HDD in the computer and one SSD plus an external drive.

I can't save new documents anywhere first time, I'm always offered the chance to save at a higher level. Also if I try to open existing documents they are always opened as read only.

I'm currently back on Windows 8.1 after upgrading to W10 and then reverting to 8.1.

Thema:

1. Windows 10: You don't have permission to save in this location..... - Similar Threads - don't permission save

2. "You don't have permission to save in this location..." error message

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "You don't have permission to save in this location..." error message: Was trying to download a driver and save it on the drive where my OS is installed. Got the error message that read "you don't have permission to save in this location...". So tried changing user access and now nothing works. I can't click on start or right click on any...
  3. "You don't have permission to save in this location..." error message

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "You don't have permission to save in this location..." error message: Was trying to download a driver and save it on the drive where my OS is installed. Got the error message that read "you don't have permission to save in this location...". So tried changing user access and now nothing works. I can't click on start or right click on any...
  4. "You don't have permission to save in this location..." error message

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 11: You don't have permission to save in this location. Contact the administrator...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11: You don't have permission to save in this location. Contact the administrator...: I am trying to modify a file in a subfolder System 32. I am the only user of the account. When trying to change permissions for the subfolder in system 32 the permissions are greyed out and thus unable to change permissions to allow me to modify a file....
  6. Windows 11: You don't have permission to save in this location. Contact the administrator...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11: You don't have permission to save in this location. Contact the administrator...: This thing have been preventing me from making my PowerPoint presentation for the whole night and it just couldn't be helped. There's nothing wrong with my user permissions, I have literally tried everything people suggest here and it still doesn't work. There's no way to get...
  7. You don't have permission to save in this location. Contact the administrator Windows 10 fixed

You don't have permission to save in this location. Contact the administrator Windows 10 fixed: is this good or bad thing. i am unable to download anything from internet to my hardrives https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/you-dont-have-permission-to-save-in-this-location/4e81ff07-0fa3-4410-b042-1b83a5c3bb8e
  8. You don't have permission to save in this location

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    You don't have permission to save in this location: I am getting this error message on all files in My Documents Just did the 9/8/2020 Win 10 update!!! "You don't have permission to save in this location"...
  9. you don't have permission to save in this location

you don't have permission to save in this location: Latest Windows update I am a developer and one client is having the issue that his app can't save ordinary text files to his Documents folder. They can be saved to the User root below Documents. I added 'everyone' with full control to the permissions list for Documents but...
  10. "You don't have permission to save in this location"

in Windows 10 Support
    "You don't have permission to save in this location": I installed a photo editing program program (DxO Filmpack 3) which I had previously used successfully on a different computer that also runs Windows 10. But on my new computer, whenever I try to save a photo to a folder on my Desktop using the program, I get the following...