Windows 10: Windows 10: You don't have permission to save in this location.....

Discus and support Windows 10: You don't have permission to save in this location..... in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've just installed Windows 10. Now I find I am unable to save documents. A pop up window says contact the administrator for permission. It is a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Jkd, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Windows 10: You don't have permission to save in this location.....

Ok, with security permissions the most restrictive apply. You will find that you are probably a member of administrators (which is great) and home users (not so great). So you don't have admin, you have home users.
    You can change the security settings in a number of ways to get around this.

Is it still a problem?

NephthysUK, Oct 2, 2015
  2. clideb50 Win User

When you log into your machine, does it show your account name or an email you use for a microsoft account? If it shows the email try the following steps:
    1: log in normally.
    2: press start -> click on your email/account name at top left of start menu (might be a right click, not 100% sure)
    3: select "sign into local account"
    4: if it doesn't auto log you out, log out, and you should have a local account name on the log in screen.
    5: log in, and see if the problem is solved.

It's a problem with file ownership. the local account owns the files, but not the microsoft account. So even though both have admin privileges, it creates access problems. Another solution is to change the file ownership to the admin group. (my IT teacher just did this, but I cannot recall the steps he took.) That way both accounts have access since they're both in the admin group.

EDIT: Found it, he did option 4 from this link that several others have linked in this thread: Owner of Files and Folders - Change in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

clideb50, Nov 9, 2015
  3. eddy91 Win User
    1- Right click on the documents folder
    2- chose properties
    3- chose security
    4- chose home users group and click edit permissions
    5- change to full control.

Windows 10: You don't have permission to save in this location..... [​IMG]

eddy91, Nov 15, 2015
  4. Bill413 Win User

Windows 10: You don't have permission to save in this location.....

Uh, that didn't work for me...see pic...

Bill413, Nov 15, 2015
  5. YOU
    You Win User
    If r permissions are broken, then the easiest thing to do would be to create an entirely new user account and just copy over r files, browser settings, etc. First, create a new user account and make sure that it doesn't have the permissions issues. Then, transfer r stuff over to it, and delete the faulty account (or leave it just in case 've forgotten something).

User Account - Add in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

6. A better way would be to replace ownership as instructed here:
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/fix-fa...-the-container

WordHerder, Nov 22, 2015
  7. Slugger Win User
    You might also try Tweaking.com - Windows Repair v3.6.5 Released Tweaking.com

Slugger, Nov 22, 2015
  8. YOU
    You Win User

9. mikepaul Win User
    This worked for me, eventually. The first run kinda destabilized my laptop, but fixed the issue of no Start menu. Actually the, whole left side of the screen, including all the pinned programs, had become unresponsive, where even hovering over the items didn't do anything. For the moment, though, all is well. A second run seems to have resolved most instability issues, knock on wood.

I am underwhelmed by how Windows 10 worked fine until I tried to use a new user. The transfer from 7 to 10 went fine, even if the owner of my C: drive was TrustedInstaller. There's just no reason a member of Administrators should have issues administrating, since Full Access had been granted. I think Microsoft has to bite the bullet and let Home versions of Windows deal with user groups other than Administrator(s) because it's obvious that some permission things are broken. "DIR >fred.txt" only worked from a Command Prompt running as Administrator, even if the user was an Administrator. Just lame...

mikepaul, Nov 29, 2015
  10. Slugger Win User
    BACK UP FIRST! Image your hard drive with Macrium Reflect Free Macrium Reflect Free

What you might try next is Reset the PC Reset Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

• All your personal files and apps will be removed.
    • All user accounts will be removed.
    • Your PC settings will be changed back to their defaults.
    Check Windows updates for any updates. Check Microsoft store for any updates.

Now double click on the image file select all check boxes. Click OK.

Now you can copy all your data back. And reinstall all your apps.
    I had to do this on one of my laptops because two accounts were cross linked. Resetting the PC fixed it.

Slugger, Nov 29, 2015
  11. mrkuramoto, Dec 14, 2015
  12. bcrown Win User
    First of all, I would like to thank you for any help you may be able to provide. I have seen many of your comments and am hopeful you can solve my problem.

I have a dell pc which was upgraded from win7 to 10. After the upgrade, all sorts of wierd permission problems seem to exist. I have tried multiple changes but none have corrected the problem completely. I saw your posts refereincing the Take ownership of files and get full access in Windows 10 post.

Trying to follow the directions I have noticed that i can access the information for my c drive and it shows the owner as s-1-5-21-...

I think changing to administrators would help solve my issues, is this correct?

While trying to change the owner I click on change but it does not seem to do anything after that. the only change is that the change button becomes greyed out after clicking on it.

Any suggestions (and confirmation that changing the owner to administrators is a good idea) would be appreciated.

bcrown, Jan 27, 2016
  13. Windows 10: You don't have permission to save in this location.....

I have all the authorities set up but still got this error. Then I realised that I was getting "You don't have permission" error only with certain programmes.
    I traced the shortcuts back to the original program, right clicked to get Properties and then went to compatibility and clicked "Open as Administrator - and presto - no more problem. Can it be that simple?

BristolPete, Apr 14, 2016
  14. Shrikanth Win User
    Guys.. I got this fixed. I downloaded the file Windows10Upgrade9194.exe to D: drive. When I ran it I got an error static cannot write to the drive. I knew it was referring to C: drive. I went to C: drive to find a newly created folder with the name "Windows 10". I simply double clicked the folder and it threw me permissions error and I changed the permissions of the folder to write content. Vola.. I'm able to upgrade to Windows 10 now. Hope that helps.

Shrikanth, Jun 29, 2016
  15. tjtaylor Win User
    Do you think that would work for my External Drive ? I have one computer that is using Windows 10 and one on Windows 7 and both show the same thing when I access my external drive excel sheets and try to save changes or additions

tjtaylor, Aug 23, 2016
Thema:

1. Windows 10: You don't have permission to save in this location..... - Similar Threads - don't permission save

2. "You don't have permission to save in this location..." error message

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "You don't have permission to save in this location..." error message: Was trying to download a driver and save it on the drive where my OS is installed. Got the error message that read "you don't have permission to save in this location...". So tried changing user access and now nothing works. I can't click on start or right click on any...
  3. "You don't have permission to save in this location..." error message

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "You don't have permission to save in this location..." error message: Was trying to download a driver and save it on the drive where my OS is installed. Got the error message that read "you don't have permission to save in this location...". So tried changing user access and now nothing works. I can't click on start or right click on any...
  4. "You don't have permission to save in this location..." error message

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 11: You don't have permission to save in this location. Contact the administrator...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11: You don't have permission to save in this location. Contact the administrator...: I am trying to modify a file in a subfolder System 32. I am the only user of the account. When trying to change permissions for the subfolder in system 32 the permissions are greyed out and thus unable to change permissions to allow me to modify a file....
  6. Windows 11: You don't have permission to save in this location. Contact the administrator...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11: You don't have permission to save in this location. Contact the administrator...: This thing have been preventing me from making my PowerPoint presentation for the whole night and it just couldn't be helped. There's nothing wrong with my user permissions, I have literally tried everything people suggest here and it still doesn't work. There's no way to get...
  7. You don't have permission to save in this location. Contact the administrator Windows 10 fixed

You don't have permission to save in this location. Contact the administrator Windows 10 fixed: is this good or bad thing. i am unable to download anything from internet to my hardrives https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/you-dont-have-permission-to-save-in-this-location/4e81ff07-0fa3-4410-b042-1b83a5c3bb8e
  8. You don't have permission to save in this location

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    You don't have permission to save in this location: I am getting this error message on all files in My Documents Just did the 9/8/2020 Win 10 update!!! "You don't have permission to save in this location"...
  9. you don't have permission to save in this location

you don't have permission to save in this location: Latest Windows update I am a developer and one client is having the issue that his app can't save ordinary text files to his Documents folder. They can be saved to the User root below Documents. I added 'everyone' with full control to the permissions list for Documents but...
  10. "You don't have permission to save in this location"

in Windows 10 Support
    "You don't have permission to save in this location": I installed a photo editing program program (DxO Filmpack 3) which I had previously used successfully on a different computer that also runs Windows 10. But on my new computer, whenever I try to save a photo to a folder on my Desktop using the program, I get the following...