Windows 10: Windows 10 - you don't have permission to view this photo - file locked

Discus and support Windows 10 - you don't have permission to view this photo - file locked in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have a hard drive that I encrypted through BitLocker (don't ask me why). There's roughly about 50GB of pictures/videos from my entire life that I've... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/BennyDelGatto, Jun 22, 2020.

1. Windows 10 - you don't have permission to view this photo - file locked

I have a hard drive that I encrypted through BitLocker (don't ask me why). There's roughly about 50GB of pictures/videos from my entire life that I've managed to lock myself out of. I had the password so getting in worked however there was a recovery key or something that I needed in order to truly gain access again. I sold the laptop I did this on so I won't be able to scour the device for anything.

I am currently looking at all the files, and they simply say that I do not have permission to view them when I try to open them. Is there anyway to access this media? I don't care for the hard drive, I simply want access to all my photo albums and such.

submitted by /u/BennyDelGatto
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/BennyDelGatto, Jun 22, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jun 22, 2020
  3. Nhoj54 Win User
    No permission to view photo files.

• Version 1803 OS Build 17134
    • All photo apps are affected. Getting message such as 'file access denied' or something to that effect.
    • File formats jpg, png, pps affected (the only ones I use)
    • Not all photos are locked out
    • Problem occurs only within OS created PICTURES folder
    • Files on my backup hard drive open correctly

• Nearly all MP3 and WMA audio files in the OS created MUSIC folder are denied access by WMP and GROOVE apps
    • Libraries can't be built as these apps can't access files
    • Again, no problems on the backup (EWindows 10 - you don't have permission to view this photo - file locked :) drive. All read permissions and file access are enabled
    • If I copy a file or folder (photo or music) from the affected folder to the desktop (folder) it will open (display/play) correctly

It appears to me that the common thread is in the PICTURES and MUSIC root folders on the main drive.

Nhoj54, Jun 22, 2020
  4. Windows 10 - you don't have permission to view this photo - file locked

Unable to view transferred files on the computer due to file permission issue on Windows 10.

Hi Andrea,

Please reply to a few questions asked below to understand the issue better:

• Which photo viewing application are you using on the computer?
    • Did you check if you are able to view the pictures using other photo viewing application?

If haven’t tried, check if you are able to view the pictures using other photo viewing applications on the computer. If you are facing similar issue and able to access the old computer, check if you are able to view the picture files on connecting
    the external device.

If you are able to access pictures in the old computer, give Full Control permissions to the folder by following the steps suggested in the above post, copy the same to an external drive and transfer onto the new computer and check
    if the issue is resolved.

Write to us with the answers to the above questions and the status of not able to view photo files on the computer
    for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Jun 22, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 - you don't have permission to view this photo - file locked

1. Windows 10 - you don't have permission to view this photo - file locked - Similar Threads - don't permission view

2. Showing you don't have permission to view this file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Showing you don't have permission to view this file: Hi. I am getting the error "It looks like you don't have permission to view this file. Check the permissions and try again" on the Windows explorer while trying to view photos in an internal Local disk D. Even the windows explorer does not show the thumbnails of the images....
  3. Showing you don't have permission to view this file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Showing you don't have permission to view this file: Hi. I am getting the error "It looks like you don't have permission to view this file. Check the permissions and try again" on the Windows explorer while trying to view photos in an internal Local disk D. Even the windows explorer does not show the thumbnails of the images....
  4. Don't have permission to view photos and videos

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Don't have permission to view photos and videos: Sir my photos are locked . My window is crashing so I reinstall it but I don't have access to my photos. I locked my photos with bitlocker and pad lock .but after reinstalling windows it says you don't have permission to view file. even I cannot cut or copy encrypted data .I...
  5. Don't have permission to view photos and videos

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Don't have permission to view photos and videos: Sir my photos are locked . My window is crashing so I reinstall it but I don't have access to my photos. I locked my photos with bitlocker and pad lock .but after reinstalling windows it says you don't have permission to view file. even I cannot cut or copy encrypted data .I...
  6. Don't have permission to view photos and videos

7. It looks like you don't have permission to view this file [Windows 10 Build 19044]

in Windows 10 Gaming
    It looks like you don't have permission to view this file [Windows 10 Build 19044]: First: this is a recent clean install of Windows - considering the headache it's already been are we end users the beta testers now? I'll get a Mac before I re-install Windows 10. A re-install is off the table, repair only if justified.Prior to re-installing Windows I had no...
  8. It looks like you don't have permission to view this file [Windows 10 Build 19044]

It looks like you don't have permission to view this file [Windows 10 Build 19044]: First: this is a recent clean install of Windows - considering the headache it's already been are we end users the beta testers now? I'll get a Mac before I re-install Windows 10. A re-install is off the table, repair only if justified.Prior to re-installing Windows I had no...
  9. It looks like you don't have permission to view this file [Windows 10 Build 19044]

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  10. Photos in One Drive - "It looks like you don't have permission to view the file. Check the...

Photos in One Drive - "It looks like you don't have permission to view the file. Check the...: Hi, I've got thousands of photos from a few decades stored in One Drive and unfortunately nowhere else where I get the following message: "It looks like you don't have permission to view the file. Check the permissions and try again."Upon checking Properties > Security >...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. image file is locked from my old PC