Windows 10: Windows 10: zipping files with name/content in non-Latin characters

Discus and support Windows 10: zipping files with name/content in non-Latin characters in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; In Windows 7, I can zip files with Hebrew names by using "send to compressed folder". In Windows 10 I receive an error message saying that the file has... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by aniyael, Jan 11, 2021.

1. aniyael Win User

Windows 10: zipping files with name/content in non-Latin characters

In Windows 7, I can zip files with Hebrew names by using "send to compressed folder".
    In Windows 10 I receive an error message saying that the file has characters which cannot be used in compressed folders. I received it for files with names in Hebrew, but also for those with names in Latin characters but content in Hebrew. Is there any remedy?
    Thank you all.

:)

aniyael, Jan 11, 2021

2. Deleting non-Latin fonts in Windows 10 Home

non-Latin = characters from other alphabets, such as Thai or Arabic

Non-Latin fonts:
    Batang
    Mangal
    Meriyo
    ming LiU
    Ya-Hei
    SimSun
    SimHei
    SimKai
    Urdu
    Traditional Arabic

The list goes on. All of these came pre-installed with Win 10. Most are grayed out, which should indicate they are 'hidden', but they ALL still show on EVERY program that allows font choices.
    Myanmar Text

Bookbear1948, Jan 11, 2021
  3. LaraRP Win User
    Chinese Character in Names of Zipped Files

Hi,

I'm a translator and get sent a lot of files containing Chinese characters in the file name. If these files are sent to me in a zip folder, the file names get all messed up, e.g. "╩╘╥δ─┌╚▌--┼⌐╙ε└½.doc", after unzipping. Is there some way to stop this from
    happening? Do I need to update the language settings on my device perhaps?

In addition, I cannot seem to zip files that contain Chinese characters. Again, given my job this is quite frustrating as I have to use a service like WeTransfer instead of simply zipping files to email to clients. Is this something I can fix?

Many thanks!

LaraRP, Jan 11, 2021
  4. Windows 10: zipping files with name/content in non-Latin characters

Deleting non-Latin fonts in Windows 10 Home

Thanks for the suggestion, but, sadly, it does not. In addition, I have gone to the Font Management setting and followed Microsoft's directions explicitly. Win 10 will NOT let me delete any installed font (except ones that I have installed myself), and it will NOT let me hide any font at all. The 'Hide' setting says it will hide the font from applications, but EVERY application that offers a choice of fonts, whether from Microsoft (Office, Word, Wordpad, Notepad, etc.) or third parties (such as OpenOffice) shows ALL the fonts listed in the Font Management listing. Every. Single. One.

There was a script for removing the non-Latin fonts from Win 7 that automated the process. That script does not work in Win 10. Is there one that does?

Thanks in advance for any help/

Bookbear1948, Jan 11, 2021
Thema:

Windows 10: zipping files with name/content in non-Latin characters

1. Windows 10: zipping files with name/content in non-Latin characters - Similar Threads - zipping files name

2. Cannot zip file due to unsupported characters

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot zip file due to unsupported characters: I was trying to zip a file but failed, because of unsupported characters, which in this case is Chinese.The path looks like this:C:\Users\user\OneDrive\\....This is strange because my computer is mostly in English even though I did install a language pack for chinese. How do...
  3. Special characters in file names

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Special characters in file names: Hi, since this morning out of a blue any of my files that contains special character Norwegian letters or files that stored in a folder that contains special character can not be seen in the preview pane, only an error message "File not found" is shown.Is there any setting to...
  4. Special characters in file names

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Special characters in file names: Hi, since this morning out of a blue any of my files that contains special character Norwegian letters or files that stored in a folder that contains special character can not be seen in the preview pane, only an error message "File not found" is shown.Is there any setting to...
  5. Non-Latin Fonts

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Non-Latin Fonts: [ATTACH] i've been searching this for days, but is there any way to change the Non-Latin Fonts? the fonts sucks so bad its even looks like a bitmap fonts. note that i already use MacType, so font rendering is not the problem here....
  6. problem with installing non latin fonts on windows 10 x64

in Windows 10 Support
    problem with installing non latin fonts on windows 10 x64: Im a designer and using all kinds of tools to make parts of logotypes, digital art, etc. On my mac, I have no problem installing any Latin fonts, but on both Windows laptops only one or two of HUNDREDS of beautiful sculptured fonts get installed, YES, they get installed, BUT...
  7. Extract the files with non-latin name

Extract the files with non-latin name: Hello, I am using a software to extract the files (it's not like winrar or zip, so I can't replace this software for another software). However, it can only save files with names of Latin characters, files with non-latin names that are displayed incorrectly. The messages...
  8. Chinese Character in Names of Zipped Files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Chinese Character in Names of Zipped Files: Hi, I'm a translator and get sent a lot of files containing Chinese characters in the file name. If these files are sent to me in a zip folder, the file names get all messed up, e.g. "δ--⌐ε½.doc", after unzipping. Is there some way to stop this from happening? Do I need to...
  9. Searching for contents of file NAME not the contents of files?????

Searching for contents of file NAME not the contents of files?????: I have maybe 500 files in a folder, one file for each model of our products. The thing about the model names is that the number of the model is at the end of the file name, like C19QZHW203 and the name of the next model number might be C19WRZT204, in other words, I cant sort...
  10. Deleting non-Latin fonts in Windows 10 Home

in Windows 10 Support
    Deleting non-Latin fonts in Windows 10 Home: This is my first post here. I have a new ultrabook (which I rather like) that came with Win 10 pre-installed. It has a slew of non-Latin fonts that I would like to delete (I have to wade through them all in pick lists on OpenOffice Writer). I have tried deleting them via...