Windows 10: Windows 10

Discus and support Windows 10 in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; My computer is currently running Windows 10 Pro 1909, OS build 18363.836. It was updated from Windows 7 several years ago. A few weeks ago my house had... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Aloysius7, Jun 27, 2020.

1. Aloysius7 Win User

Windows 10

My computer is currently running Windows 10 Pro 1909, OS build 18363.836. It was updated from Windows 7 several years ago. A few weeks ago my house had a brief power failure. Since then I have experienced a number of problems that seem to relate to the operating system:

1. I rebooted I started getting "unexpected kernel trap" errors. I managed to trace this one of a few startup applications. Once I turned those off the problem didn't return. I don't know specifically which one caused it, but it's not one that seems to relate the problems below.
    2. I've lost sound. At first the Realtek digital output icon in the taskbar showed it wasn't operating at all. Since then I've run the troubleshooter, reinstalled it, turned on and off Windows Audio and Windows Audio Endpoint Builder several times. I did somehow manage to get the driver operative again so that it shows up properly in the taskbar. The device manager says that Realtek High Definition Audio is working properly. The troubleshooter says "Audio services not responding-- restart audio services". I have restarted audio services several times, but it doesn't make a difference. Oddly, when I boot the computer there is a quiet "pop" sound from the speakers, which suggests to me that something is working. I've also tried using a USB external sound card and I can't get any sound from it either. Can't get sound from headphones, so it's not the speakers.
    3. The computer is suddenly very slow to open some files. It's not consistent, but I'm guessing it can sometimes take 20-30 seconds to open a smallish Word or Excel file that would normally be very quick. It seems unusual.
    4. I can't update Windows anymore. I get a message that it was last checked on June 3, 2020 but "We couldn't connect to the update service. We'll try again later, or you can check now. If it still doesn't work, make sure you're connected to the Internet." The internet is working fine. I've tried a number of things: 1 ran the troubleshooter 2 ran a chkdsk 3 ransfc /scannow 4 ran DISM/online/cleanup-image/checkhealth.
    5. The troubleshooter tells me "Problem with BITS service : The requested service has already been started. More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2182. " I ran the BITS troubleshooter but it doesn't find any issues

scannow output says it fixed some errors such that everything is clean when I run it again, but it doesn't fix my specific problems. I've looked at the CBS logs and don't really understand them, but I do note that there are a 9 "CSI payload corrupt amd64_windows-defender-management-powershell..." errors that don't get fixed.

The DISM log I don't really understand either but I note a couple of "Failed to restore the image health. - CPackageManagerCLIHandler" errors. I don't now if these errors are relevant.

One fix that I have read about but haven't tried is to delete the SoftwareDistribution directory.

BTW, I can't update in safe mode with networking either. The operating system is on a 1TB SSD with 597 GB of free space, so it's not running low.

6. I'm guessing all these problems are related, but I don't know that for sure. I'm most worried about the updater not working, but all the issues are important. I'm working from home these days, so need sound to do webconferences. I'm only semi-techie, so I hope someone can help me fix this. [BTW, would updating to Windows 10 2004--when and if such an option becomes available-- potentially fix things or make things worse?]

7. Maybe things are so messed up I need to reset Windows, which is not something I've ever done before. I don't want to lose applications and files. I know there are options to preserve applications and files and I could find the space to put such a backup. I assume Windows Backup and Restore is the best way to go. Very nervous about this whole option.

:)

Aloysius7, Jun 27, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jun 27, 2020
  3. Monk.e83 Win User
    Unlocked Realtek HD Audio Drivers Windows 7 & 8 (With Dolby Digital Live and DTS Interactive)

DTS supported natively by Windows 8/8.1 and it should work on windows 10 too just DDL require to unlock your driver .

Monk.e83, Jun 27, 2020
  4. Delta6326 Win User

Windows 10

Delta6326, Jun 27, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10