Windows 10: Windows 100% disc usage by System

Discus and support Windows 100% disc usage by System in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Ok guys, I just completely initialized my pc, but it is kinda slow due to 100% disc usage without anything open. What causes this? I tried disabling... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/MistaHate4, Sep 21, 2020.

1. Windows 100% disc usage by System

Ok guys, I just completely initialized my pc, but it is kinda slow due to 100% disc usage without anything open. What causes this? I tried disabling Windows search but it did not fix. Any tip?

submitted by /u/MistaHate4
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/MistaHate4, Sep 21, 2020

2. Disc Usage at 100%

Hi Andre,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I started going through your list of suggestions.

I have switched off all background apps. I was horrified to see so many.

I then disabled windows update.

At that stage I thought I would check out disc usage on task manager.

Disc activity had gone down dramatically and in the performance tag activity was very low, it spiked from time to time if I did something on the PC but the speed on all activity was back to normal.

I thought I would leave things as they were and see if things stayed the same.

No problems at all until this afternoon I was trying to look at a file via windows explorer and got the message "not responding". A quick look at task manager and disc activity is 100% again. Everything slows down. I close down some screens and the desk
    top turns black.

The only way I can get a display up again is "alt" + "tab". The task bar has disappeared. I decided to reboot but the only way I can do that is with the on'/off switch.

The PC reboots. I check that all the apps are still switched off and windows update is still disabled, Disc activity is still 100%.

As I type this disc activity has suddenly dropped. it keeps spiking to 100% but then reverts back to about 12%.

Is this normal or is there something else I should do.

Back to 100% now. How do I find out what is actually happening, what activity is the disc doing?

I am confused.

Any suggestions?

Michael_209, Sep 21, 2020
  3. Task Manager indicates 99-100% disc usage

Hi,

About your issue regarding your PC. Mostly the issue occur if your not cleaning your PC. Like for example: Not removing the file that you don't need or always cleaning your cache. We suggest you to check this article:

How to fix disc usage in Windows 10
    . This article contains troubleshooting steps for you to fix the issue.

Regards.

Phillip Pio, Sep 21, 2020
  4. Windows 100% disc usage by System

100% disc usage solved

I may have spoken too soon? After a few weeks, disc usage has crept up again so it is now 100% much of the time. Mostly seems to be System or Norton accessing the disc. My memory usage is always around 60-70%.

Lordwanswell, Sep 21, 2020
Thema:

Windows 100% disc usage by System

1. Windows 100% disc usage by System - Similar Threads - 100% disc usage

2. Windows 11 100% disc usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 100% disc usage: Since yesterday, I’ve been struggling with a serious issue: the disk utilization on my computer remains at 100%, significantly slowing down its performance, and I’m unable to do anything. I’ve tried various solutions mentioned online, such as disabling Windows Search and...
  3. 100% disc usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    100% disc usage: I have been having problems with my Dell Optiplex 5260 for months now. I was running Windows 10 but have managed to upgrade to Windows 11 with some difficulty - its not easy with 100% disc usage - but still the problem persists.When I start up the CPU and Memory are fine but...
  4. 100% disc usage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    100% disc usage: I have been having problems with my Dell Optiplex 5260 for months now. I was running Windows 10 but have managed to upgrade to Windows 11 with some difficulty - its not easy with 100% disc usage - but still the problem persists.When I start up the CPU and Memory are fine but...
  5. Disc usage is 100%

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disc usage is 100%: Disc usage is 100% whenever i open a program or when i turn on my laptop. Due to this issue my system runs very slow almost every time please help. I have tried everything in my knowledge to fix it and i failed....
  6. Disc usage is 100%

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disc usage is 100%: Disc usage is 100% whenever i open a program or when i turn on my laptop. Due to this issue my system runs very slow almost every time please help. I have tried everything in my knowledge to fix it and i failed....
  7. Random 100% usage of disc

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Random 100% usage of disc: HeyFrom time to time my pc likes to completely freeze for like 2 minutes, after that it returns to the usable condition. Problem occurs when I surf the internet mostly while using Google Maps, don't know if it's coincidence if not .Sometimes I have task manager launched in...
  8. 100% Disc usage on laptop?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    100% Disc usage on laptop?: So Im trying to fix my girlfriends laptop. the disk usage is stuck on 100% She does not have the superfetch service installed and her windows is up to date. Ive tried to defrag her hard drive but nothing is working. Anyone have any tips on how to solve this issue?...
  9. 100% disc usage solved

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    100% disc usage solved: Just in case this may help anyone... I had a problem with my old desktop (HP Envy 23, running Windows 10, Ver 1903, build 18367.778) becoming very slow due to constant hard disc activity, up to 100% if I even opened an email. I tried all of the solutions referred to in the...
  10. 100% disc usage issue

in Windows 10 Customization
    100% disc usage issue: Hello all, Could the disc activity by any chance be the auto-defrag program at work? All the best, J https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/100-disc-usage-issue/a3b5c638-05c7-4952-a615-44ec81e91458