Windows 10: Windows 10’s important security update is failing to install

Discus and support Windows 10’s important security update is failing to install in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft released Windows 10 updates on Tuesday to fix a security bug reported by the United States’ National Security Agency (NSA). Unfortunately,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinLatest, Jan 16, 2020.

1. WinLatest New Member

Windows 10’s important security update is failing to install

Microsoft released Windows 10 updates on Tuesday to fix a security bug reported by the United States’ National Security Agency (NSA). Unfortunately, the Redmond, Washington tech giant’s latest update for Windows 10 has also run into installation problems.

For context, users on May 2019 Update and November 2019 Update are getting KB4528760 and Microsoft is shipping KB4534273 to Windows 10 version 1809. With this month’s Patch Tuesday update, Microsoft says it has resolved multiple security bugs.

The flaw, which was given “important” severity rating, affects the way Windows CryptoAPI (Crypt32.dll) validates Elliptic Curve Cryptography certificates on Windows 10. The cumulative update, which has been released to address this vulnerability, is apparently failing to install for some users.

According to posts on Reddit, Microsoft’s community forum and Twitter, Windows 10 KB4528760 for both May 2019 Update and November 2019 Update is failing to install with generic error messages, and users are apparently not happy.

“Can’t update, getting an “We could not complete the install because an update service was shutting down” error,” a user wrote on Reddit.

“There were problems installing some updates, but we’ll try again later. 2020-01 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1909 for x64-based Systems (KB4528760) – Error 0x800f0988. Troubleshooter, sfc, dism don’t fix error,” another user said.

“Ah, apparently KB4528760 is having issues with downloading, so I wouldn’t bother with it for right now. It failed on my PC as well,” a user confirmed the installation issues in a tweet. Another user stated that there were problems with Windows 10’s January 2020 update package on their PC.

Multiple users have also documented Windows 10’s January 2020 update installation issues on Microsoft’s Community forum (1, 2, 3), with one angry user noting:

“The disturbing part of all of this is that it exists in the first place. MS’s patching and updating system is fundamentally broken and has been for 30+ years. It is extremely poorly designed and way too fragile.”

Windows 10’s important security update is failing to install Windows-Update-page.jpg
    Checking for update installs the patch

At the time of writing, there are no reports of other issues after installing the cumulative update. The number of reports suggests that the installation issues are also not widespread at the moment, but if you’re affected, you can install the Windows 10 cumulative updated manually.

It’s also worth noting that January 2020 Patch Tuesday update focus was on fixing the important security issues in Windows 10. Consumers and administrators are recommended to patch their devices as soon as possible.

The post Windows 10’s important security update is failing to install appeared first on Windows Latest

Weiterlesen...

WinLatest, Jan 16, 2020
  2. jds21 Win User

Windows Updates failed to instal

I just did step one and they have just all installed.... thank you so much.... it was quite frustrating having that update window pop up every 5 minutes and failing to instal every time

Thanks mate

jds21, Jan 16, 2020
  3. P4-630 Win User
    Comodo Software users Windows 10 *Important*

Windows 10’s important security update is failing to install capture-jpg.jpg

"Hi All,
    We stronly advise Comodo users not to update to latest MS update KB4022716, which is available for Windows 10 users till they have new fixed version of Comodo internet security products installed.

Affected Products:
    - Comodo Internet Security / Comodo Antivirus / Comodo Firewall (Affected versions: v6246 and below)
    - Comodo Cloud Antivirus (Affected versions: v533 and below)
    - Internet Security Essentials (Affected versions: v81 and below)
    - Comodo Secure Shopping (Affected versions: v97 and below)

Possible Problems:
    In case you have updated to MS update KB4022716 prior to updating to latest fixed version of Comodo products, following issues may appear:

- Crashing browsers
    - May not be able to login to Windows

Resolution:
    If you are able to login, you can uninstall Comodo and re-install latest fixed Comodo version. Else you need to go to Windows Safe Mode and uninstall Comodo product or re-store system to state before Comodo product was installed.

In case you want to keep Comodo and pause Windows updates for some time, you may use following steps:
    Step - 1: Click on Start icon on Windows
    Step - 2: Next click on Settings menu item, it will open "Windows Settings" window
    Step - 3: Select "Update & Security" section from there and it will show "Windows Update" section
    Step - 4: Click on "Advanced Options" next, there is "Pause Updates" section allowing you to pause Windows updates for next several days

You can find same steps with images here .

Reason:
    There are unexpected changes in last MS update KB4022716, which are incompatible with Comodo products.
    "

https://forums.comodo.com/news-anno...ate-kb4022716os-build-15063447-t119928.0.html

P4-630, Jan 16, 2020
  4. Windows 10’s important security update is failing to install

Windows 7 Ultimate (64) Security updates not installing.

I have been having problems in installing the updates that I have listed below. For each update I attempted to install them individually but they would not install. I also downloaded the SURT 6.1 KB947821 v27. The problem has been going on now for about 2 months. (whenever the issue with the updates comes to mind I am never near my pc). Thank you in advance.

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 9 for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2838727)
    Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2757638)
    Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2785220)
    Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2790113)
    Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2813170)
    Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2813430)
    Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2839894)
    Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2726535)
    Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2773072)
    Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2786400)
    Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2798162)
    Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2808679)

autigerfan, Jan 16, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10’s important security update is failing to install

1. Windows 10’s important security update is failing to install - Similar Threads - 10’s important security

2. Security Update Failing to install

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Security Update Failing to install: As we all have been having issues with MS security update NOT installing which is now way over a month, are ANY MS EXPERTS TECHS ACTUALLY doing anything about this to fix it? I am not computer literate and am not going to try doing things that are suggested, this is MS...
  3. Security Update Failing to install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Security Update Failing to install: As we all have been having issues with MS security update NOT installing which is now way over a month, are ANY MS EXPERTS TECHS ACTUALLY doing anything about this to fix it? I am not computer literate and am not going to try doing things that are suggested, this is MS...
  4. Security Update Failing to install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Security Update Failing to install: As we all have been having issues with MS security update NOT installing, are ANY MS EXPERTS ACTUALLY doing anything about this to fix it? I am not computer literate and am not going to try doing things that are suggested, this is MS problem, you are the ones responsible to...
  5. failing to install new window security updates

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    failing to install new window security updates: 2023-10 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 for x64-based Systems KB5031358.... this update is stuck on my pc not been to install it, as every time it says that ran unto a problem. any help would be appreciated....
  6. failing to install new window security updates

in Windows 10 Gaming
    failing to install new window security updates: 2023-10 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 for x64-based Systems KB5031358.... this update is stuck on my pc not been to install it, as every time it says that ran unto a problem. any help would be appreciated....
  7. Unable to install important security update KB5004946

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Unable to install important security update KB5004946: I am getting the error message "not applicable to my computer". I checked and do have an x64 architecture.2021-07 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1909 for x64-based Systems KB5004946...
  8. Windows 10’s important updates may fail to install, but there’s a fix

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10’s important updates may fail to install, but there’s a fix: When Microsoft issues Windows 10 Patch Tuesday update with security patches, it’s usually recommended that you should grab the patch immediately. These updates are visible if you go to the Windows Update page in Settings and check for updates. Microsoft says Windows 10 will...
  9. Window 10 Home failed to update because of missing of important security and quality fixes

Window 10 Home failed to update because of missing of important security and quality fixes: I am unable to update my Windows. My windows 10 is of Home Single language version. I have tried everything but i am unable to update. I tried to uninstall my updates but it is unavailable to do that. I tried to run sfc command but still not giving me authorization to do...
  10. Windows 10 S version not installing Windows Defender/Security updates

Windows 10 S version not installing Windows Defender/Security updates: HI, I recently just bought a HP stream laptop 14" loaded with Microsoft Office 365 activated, and Windows 10 S mode I checked for updates, and there were many updates that had to be installed. I installed them, and when I check for updates again, it said that there...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. last failed install attempt 0x800f0988 KB4528760

2. windows update pending install KB4528760

3. no install (KB4528760) - fout 0x800f0988