Windows 10: Windows 10’s news and weather feed on taskbar is a mess

Discus and support Windows 10’s news and weather feed on taskbar is a mess in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Earlier this year, Microsoft started testing a new feature on the taskbar called “News and Interests”. It is basically a widget based on Microsoft’s... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinLatest, Jun 13, 2021.

1. WinLatest New Member

Windows 10’s news and weather feed on taskbar is a mess

Earlier this year, Microsoft started testing a new feature on the taskbar called “News and Interests”. It is basically a widget based on Microsoft’s MSN and users can glance at the feed on their taskbar to get personalized content based on their web browsing activities. In addition to the personalized news feed, you can also get weather and traffic updates.

Windows 10’s News and Interests feed is similar to Google Discover and it’s not a bad concept for those who want news and updates on their taskbar, but it needs serious refinements to be useful.

With June 2021 update, Microsoft is rolling out the new feature to all consumers over the world. Based on the reports we’ve seen, it appears to be a wider rollout and it is enabled when users install the latest mandatory security update. Once installed, a new weather icon will appear on your taskbar.

Windows 10’s news and weather feed on taskbar is a mess Windows-10-News-and-Interests.jpg

The weather icon is blurry, localization issues

If you hover over the weather icon pinned to the taskbar, you’ll see the latest news, traffic and weather updates.

However, Microsoft’s News and Interests feed is far from perfect and it’s plagued with numerous quality issues. For instance, some users claim there’s an issue with the News and Interests feed where the weather widget icon is blurry.

Windows 10’s news and weather feed on taskbar is a mess News-and-Interests-blurry.jpg

“The new feature is cool, but for some reason, only the text is very blurry on 100 percent scaling, but on 150% it’s fine along with 175% & 200%. The issue does not appear on my laptop with 125% scaling,” a user explained the problem in a post on Feedback.

Similarly, some people said that the text on the taskbar button will look pixelated on high-resolution screens when the feature is enabled or disabled. I was able to reproduce this bug on my device running Windows 10 version 21H1.

Windows 10’s news and weather feed on taskbar is a mess News-and-Interests-feed-bug.jpg

News and Interests feed has other issues too.

Some users flagged localization issue where the feed will show news headlines from different countries in an incorrect foreign language.

“I’m in Finland and when I change the language, it changes to English but after a while, it reverts back to Finnish. My device is in English US, the region from Windows settings is the United States and no Finnish language pack nor keyboard layout is installed,” a user explained the problem.

Stale weather information in News and Interests

The default view of the weather widget seems to base its information on both your location setting and system setting. However, we observed that the weather widget can show stale information after login.

In my case, it showed me that the sky is mostly cloudy, but that was not the case when I looked outside my window and compared the stats with other weather apps.

The web view is buggy

Windows 10’s News and Interests feed is technically based on the same feed that powers your Windows Search.

Unfortunately, the web view has its own share of issues. For example, you can notice stutters while scrolling and the scroll bar is white in dark mode. It does not behave like the scroll bars in other windows apps where the scroll bar matches the theme of the app.

The scrolling is not smooth and feels laggy in general, and overall performance suffers another blow when you use your laptop/notebook in the battery preserving modes.

There’s another where the feed stops working after sign in and displays a blank window, which can be fixed by restarting Windows Explorer.

Microsoft released the unpolished version of News and Interests

Microsoft is apparently aware of these issues and they fixed the bug where the “content of taskbar button would look blurry” and incorrect weather report in preview builds released earlier this year.

For some reasons, it appears that the rollout was rushed and the company decided to enable the unpolished version of News and Interests for everyone without addressing the critical bugs.

The post Windows 10’s news and weather feed on taskbar is a mess appeared first on Windows Latest

Weiterlesen...

WinLatest, Jun 13, 2021
  2. Sharyn698 Win User

Edge browser no longer displays the news feed

I am replying to the above advice. Been there, done that. In fact, I did that set of steps before I ever asked for help here. Does anyone have any other suggestions? It is very inconvenient to have no taskbar.

Thank you.

Sharyn698, Jun 13, 2021
  3. News and Interests not showing weather on taskbar

When I display N&I i don't get the weather icon. I get the icon shown below. Clicking on this icon does bring up some feeds but the weather is not one of them. Is there something else I need to do to get the weather icon? I think when N&I first became available the weather icon was there. Perhaps something I changed in Windows is now preventing it from showing.

Windows 10’s news and weather feed on taskbar is a mess [​IMG]

streetwolf, Jun 13, 2021
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jun 13, 2021
Thema:

1. Windows 10’s news and weather feed on taskbar is a mess - Similar Threads - 10’s news weather

2. w11 weather widget and news feed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    w11 weather widget and news feed: How can I just get the weather widget without the news feed? I've tried everything, I can think of, but I have been unable to figure out how I can just have the weather widget without all the news feed. I have no interest in the news feed at all. Any suggestions would be...
  3. w11 weather widget and news feed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    w11 weather widget and news feed: How can I just get the weather widget without the news feed? I've tried everything, I can think of, but I have been unable to figure out how I can just have the weather widget without all the news feed. I have no interest in the news feed at all. Any suggestions would be...
  4. Taskbar News And Weather

in Windows 10 Customization
    Taskbar News And Weather: Why is the News and Weather available only when the taskbar is at the bottom? I prefer my taskbar being at the top of the screen but it isn't available when set there....
  5. news feed on taskbar

news feed on taskbar: how do I remove the 'new' news feed that popped up on my task bar after the last update? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/news-feed-on-taskbar/025de15e-9a37-4af9-9576-ccf758d9e7aa
  6. Weather / News Icon on the Taskbar

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Weather / News Icon on the Taskbar: After a recent Win 10 update this weather / news icon appeared on the taskbar, ciecled in red. Can it be removed? Keeps opening up when I try and see the Hidden Icons!...
  7. News & Interests feed in taskbar broken

News & Interests feed in taskbar broken: Hi,Yesterday I updated to the latest version of Windows and got this new news feed on my taskbar. It was working fine up until today, now it's stuck highlighted and no longer opens when I hover the mouse on it. When I click on it, nothing happens again.This may be a release...
  8. Windows 10’s News and Interests taskbar feed gets new features

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10’s News and Interests taskbar feed gets new features: With the latest batch of cumulative preview updates, Microsoft is updating Windows 10’s News and Interests feature with more options to customize the overall experience. After the latest cumulative preview update for Windows 10 version 21H1, version 20H2 and 2004, Microsoft...
  9. Taskbar news feed language problem

Taskbar news feed language problem: HelloSo I just got an update for my windows which added in the taskbar news feed. At first it was completely fine but 10 minutes in it changed it's language to chinese and no matter what I do, it wont change it back. Everything else is in english nor do I find a chinese...
  10. My Feed/Microsoft News on Taskbar

My Feed/Microsoft News on Taskbar: I just updated Windows, and the update seems to have added a feature to the taskbar which does not give me many options for customization. This object on the taskbar shows up on the right side and shows the temperature and what I assume is a one-word summary of the weather:I...