Windows 10: Windows 10’s Spring 2019 Update will make your Spectre patched PC faster

Discus and support Windows 10’s Spring 2019 Update will make your Spectre patched PC faster in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Intel and security researchers discovered two critical vulnerabilities Spectre and Meltdown which affected some processors. Intel processors were the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinLatest, Oct 19, 2018.

1. WinLatest New Member

Windows 10’s Spring 2019 Update will make your Spectre patched PC faster

Intel and security researchers discovered two critical vulnerabilities Spectre and Meltdown which affected some processors. Intel processors were the ones that were mostly found vulnerable to the Spectre and Meltdown vulnerability.

The performance of the PCs was affected for up to 18% due to the Spectre vulnerability found in the processor of PCs. To mitigate such vulnerabilities, Microsoft has enabled “Retpoline” in its next major update Windows 10 19H1.

Currently, Microsoft is shipping the 19H1 updates to Insiders in the Fast and Skip Ahead Ring and Retpoline is enabled by default for the Insiders. This was confirmed by one of the team members of the Windows Kernel team engineer Mehmet Iyigun on his official Twitter handle.

Developer Alex Ionescu discovered that the “Retpoline Kernel” is enabled in Windows 10’s Spring 2019 update and when he ran a filesystem benchmark on Surface Pro 4, he noticed a big improvement in transfer speeds, especially at smaller block sizes.

This was confirmed by Microsoft’s Windows Kernel team in a follow-up tweet:

“Yes, we have enabled retpoline by default in our 19H1 flights along with what we call “import optimization” to further reduce perf impact due to indirect calls in kernel-mode. Combined, these reduce the perf impact of Spectre v2 mitigations to noise-level for most scenarios,” Microsoft’s Mehmet Iyigun explains.

The availability of Retpoline by default in next major version of Windows 10 would mean that the Spectre vulnerability is mitigated to a large extent and now the PC processors will have an impact of less than 3% as against the earlier 30%.

“Retpoline as a mitigation strategy swaps indirect branches for returns, to avoid using predictions which come from the BTB, as they can be poisoned by an attacker,” an expert explains.

The post Windows 10’s Spring 2019 Update will make your Spectre patched PC faster appeared first on Windows Latest

Weiterlesen...

WinLatest, Oct 19, 2018

2. Windows Update Intel Patches for Meltdown & Spectre

1. If there are no problems, you should not at all uninstall a Windows update. Microsoft is too, not at all recommending to uninstall.

2. Nope, sorry. Windows 10 updates are cumulative that contains all previous patches. Seeing the questions from the past few days on the forum, I can say that the questions regarding problems with Spectre patch have dropped.

3. Yes, you should let Windows 10 updates to automatic. This makes your PC install the Patches/Fixes faster.

Sumit Dhiman2, Oct 19, 2018
  3. Pixelme Win User
    Windows Update Intel Patches for Meltdown & Spectre

URGENT - Please Microsoft:

1. Provide a List of Windows Updates that included the (bad) Intel Patches for Meltdown & Spectre (which Intel now say should NOT be installed).

2. Advise IF (and HOW) the Windows Updates that included (bad) Intel Patches for Meltdown & Spectre should be 'removed' by End Users?

3. If Microsoft Identifies (to it's Community) Windows Updates that included (bad) Intel Patches, can Users remove them - while still getting any other 'fixes' (that did NOT relate to Meltdown & Spectre) included in the Same Windows Updates that contained
    the (bad) Patches for Meltdown & Spectre?

4. How do Users ensure that ant Windows Updates they remove - to 'eject' the (bad) Intel Patch for Meltdown & Spectre - are not 'automatically' re-installed' later - by Automatic Windows Updates, when Windows notices the 'removed updates' are not installed?

Note: I've looked at the Microsoft.com Descriptions of Numerous Recent Windows Updates and (although some refer to 'security') none seem to specifically mention Intel, Meltdown or Spectre - so I can't determine which Windows Updates included the 'bad' Intel
    Patches.

Pixelme, Oct 19, 2018
  4. Windows 10’s Spring 2019 Update will make your Spectre patched PC faster

Spectre Patch reinstall

If I install Spectre patch on windows 10 1703 (KB4056891).

Then Windows update ask me to upgrade to Windows Build 1709.

Do I need to reinstall the Spectre patch or not?

ChaiwatSirirungrueng, Oct 19, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10’s Spring 2019 Update will make your Spectre patched PC faster

1. Windows 10’s Spring 2019 Update will make your Spectre patched PC faster - Similar Threads - 10’s Spring 2019

2. How to make pc faster

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to make pc faster: I have a 1.5 TB local disk and my pc is 4 GB ram but I cannot use ready boost so is it possible to make my pc faster? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-make-pc-faster/ece4d98a-ef18-4238-b2db-92e8d1d20829
  3. How to make pc faster

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to make pc faster: I have a 1.5 TB local disk and my pc is 4 GB ram but I cannot use ready boost so is it possible to make my pc faster? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-make-pc-faster/ece4d98a-ef18-4238-b2db-92e8d1d20829
  4. How to make pc faster

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Does two partitions on a HDD make your PC faster?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Does two partitions on a HDD make your PC faster?: I'm making this post for my brother, who owns an HP gaming PC prebuilt. I would like to make some improvements/modifications to make his PC faster, but first on the software side before upgrading hardware, if possible to save some money. If you have any other suggestions on...
  6. Windows 10’s 2019 update will make Windows Search more useful

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10’s 2019 update will make Windows Search more useful: Windows 10 Build 18267 is rolling out to the Windows Insiders subscribed to the Fast Ring. The latest Windows 10 19H1 (Spring 2019) preview update comes with a new change that would make your computer even more useful. According to the changelog, Microsoft is updating the...
  7. Windows 10’s Next Update (19H1) Faster,Thanks to Better Spectre Fixes

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10’s Next Update (19H1) Faster,Thanks to Better Spectre Fixes: This concerns the Spring 2019 release 19H1, not Fall 2018 - 1809. It's worth a read because MS has added some performance fixes for the Spectre V2 variant. It will only be available to Win 10 users, not Win 7 or 8. Another incentive to upgrade to 10. Yes, we have enabled...
  8. Windows 10 Spring update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Spring update: Hello, I have a new HP business laptop and so far I have installed Office 2016, Symantec Security Endpoint protection and have downloaded a handful of Microsoft updates but after 10 days the Spring update has not started to download or install. The computer is connected to...
  9. PC World : How to make Windows 10 faster

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    PC World : How to make Windows 10 faster: From PC World Post date : February 5th, 2016 http://www.pcworld.com/article/30302...p-your-pc.html For the well versed users, this article is "old-news". For novice users, this may be useful. 39916
  10. How much slower will your PC feel after patching for Spectre-Meltdown?

in Windows 10 News
    How much slower will your PC feel after patching for Spectre-Meltdown?: Intel has published both data collected from both users and synthetic benchmarks and the bottom line is that users will experience a real-world performance hit of about between six and eight percent, with systems running 8th-generation processors seeing a smaller impact than...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. when is win10 2019 spring update due

2. spring 2019 windows update

3. windows update spring 2019

4. uninstall intel spectre patch 2019,
  5. win 10 2019 spring update