Windows 10: Windows 10's taskbar won't let me open things.

Discus and support Windows 10's taskbar won't let me open things. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've been having a recurring issue with my computer since a couple of weeks ago, and since then no AVG scan or even restarting it has permanently fixed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by itsjustcerise, Mar 27, 2016.

1. Windows 10's taskbar won't let me open things.

I've been having a recurring issue with my computer since a couple of weeks ago, and since then no AVG scan or even restarting it has permanently fixed the problem.

The problem happens to be that sometimes, I'll have Google Chrome open and maybe want to open Photoshop to work on some art I'm doing, and my taskbar won't respond. At all. If I minimize, say, Skype while I'm having this issue, Skype won't open. Sometimes it's only a couple apps on my taskbar that will respond; Paint might open, but Discord won't.

Occasionally it even extends to my desktop, in which I am unable to open a program via clicking on its desktop shortcut. Right now my taskbar icons have gone so far to even vanish, leaving only extra bits (like Skype's offline icon) as proof they're even there. Restarting it fixes the problem, but only briefly.

Some notes:

-I am fairly young and mostly use this laptop (HP Pavilion) for playing games, chatting with friends, drawing, writing and blogging.
    -This laptop is old enough that its warranty has expired recently. I have had it for about two years.
    -I started having this problem around uninstalling the trial version of AVG PC Tune-Up, after its messages to make me buy the full version annoyed the hell out of me.
    -I can't actually open my settings to check the key info of my PC right now.
    -Here's a photo of what I've been going through.

Windows 10's taskbar won't let me open things. [​IMG]

So is this just a silly Windows 10 glitch, or is there a deeper-rooted problem my anti-virus is failing to uncover?

:)

itsjustcerise, Mar 27, 2016

2. Start Menu/Search Won't Open and Unable to Right-click Taskbar Icons

Hello, my laptop has been recently updated to windows 10 it worked fine for 2-3 days. Now it won't let me open my start menu, search or right-click on taskbar icons. I've looked around and the only solutions I've found is the one that involves opening
    powershell and then right-clicking it to open in administrator which I cannot do since I cannot right-click on taskbar icons. If anyone had any advice or could help me I would very much appreciate it!

SamanthaPashouwer-Schwabe, Mar 27, 2016
  3. Why do two of my three dvd draws open every time I boot up windows 10 (not when restarting).

Hi!

I performed the update via the internet using the windows 10 icon in the taskbar. I did this yesterday.

When the draw(s) open, windows explorer opens with a foreground window asking me to insert a disc into the drive. I cannot access anything else at that point until I select "cancel" in the window.

I am trying the open file explore to This PC.

Will let you know.

Thanks,

James.

James Astro Lee, Mar 27, 2016
  4. Windows 10's taskbar won't let me open things.

That particular piece of, uhm software, is not quite good. Better stick with CCleaner and Wise Care 365.

Download this Fix, run it as admin, it will take about an hour to finish, then choose to clean everything.

TairikuOkami, Mar 27, 2016
  5. ARC
    Arc Win User
    A big ditto with TairikuOkami.

A numbers of programs are using MSI based installers which stores their uninstallers, icons (as .exe file; say wordicon.exe) and some other important information in a hidden directory, C:\Windows\Installer. MS Office, CorelDraw, Chrome, Adobe Reader etc are some of those programs I can name right now.

AVP PC TuneUp (previously TuneUp Utilities; I have used that program for years) is nothing but a crap. It has a bad tendency to clean up the Installer folder considering it as junk. You will loss the program icons, functionalities upto some extent and some other things. It affects the imageres.dll file too, where the system icons are stored.

As it kills the uninstallers too, it may not be very possible all the time to uninstall a damaged program. So uninstallation and re-installation of the programs also will not be very easy.
    As I had noticed, installing the program over the corrupt installation may or may not solve the issue. There is no certainty.

So it is neither Windows 10 nor antivirus. It is just the PC TuneUp crap that is the reason behind your issue. It is something more than a snake oil, it is harmful.

I wishfully hope that TairikuOkami's suggestion will work for you. But if for any reason it does not, prefer a complete clean reinstall. It would be much easier than fixing the level of corruption caused by TuneUp.

And, never ever use any third party disk cleaner/optimizer/SwissArmyKnife program. Only CCleaner is trustworthy as TairikuOkami as already mentioned.

Thema:

Windows 10's taskbar won't let me open things.

1. Windows 10's taskbar won't let me open things. - Similar Threads - 10's taskbar won't

2. won't let me switch out of s mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    won't let me switch out of s mode: I have been trying to switch out of S mode for about a year now and I've tried everything. The directions for switching out of S Mode FROM MICROSOFT state "On your PC running Windows 11 in S mode, open Settings > System > Activation. In the Switch to Windows 11 Pro section,...
  3. won't let me switch out of s mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    won't let me switch out of s mode: I have been trying to switch out of S mode for about a year now and I've tried everything. The directions for switching out of S Mode FROM MICROSOFT state "On your PC running Windows 11 in S mode, open Settings > System > Activation. In the Switch to Windows 11 Pro section,...
  4. It won't let me in?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    It won't let me in?: How can I get in? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/it-wont-let-me-in/65c7d072-7bb5-4cb2-8c0f-4de3440e084a
  5. It won't let me in?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    It won't let me in?: How can I get in? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/it-wont-let-me-in/65c7d072-7bb5-4cb2-8c0f-4de3440e084a
  6. Store won't let me leave S mode

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Store won't let me leave S mode: Every time I try to leave S mode, the store tells me "Try that again. Something happened on our end. Waiting a bit might help." I realize this is apparently a common problem, but I spent a full hour on the phone with Microsoft support, who basically told me I'll need a second...
  7. S-Mode & Won't Let Me Change

in Windows 10 Customization
    S-Mode & Won't Let Me Change: I have a valid Windows 10 program, purchased a couple of years ago, not shared with anyone. My computer froze multiple times yesterday while trying to reboot. I tried re-setting to the previous day's reset point when it was working just fine, but nothing. The only way to get...
  8. Won't let me switch out of S mode

Won't let me switch out of S mode: After I updated my computer, it switched me back to S mode, and now when I try to get out of S mode from the Store, it brings up an error message saying "something went wrong" and to "try again later." I have already restarted my computer twice trying to solve this issue. Any...
  9. Windows Store won't open and won't let me reinstall to C

Windows Store won't open and won't let me reinstall to C: I've been having this issue for about a month now. I think there is something corrupt with the Windows Store app but I don't know how to fix it. I can't open store, I click and the splash shows for a second then disappears and nothing else happens. I can create another...
  10. Won't Let Me Switch Out Of S Mode

Won't Let Me Switch Out Of S Mode: I just bought this computer with Windows 10. The first day I managed to switch out of S Mode and download other applications Google Chrome and Firefox. But a few days later the computer updated and when I tried to open Chrome it told me I was in S Mode and would need to...