Windows 10: Windows 10’s update heads to WSUS testers ahead of release

Discus and support Windows 10’s update heads to WSUS testers ahead of release in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Officially called Windows 10 version 2004, the next major version of Microsoft’s desktop OS is slated to launch in April. The feature update began... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinLatest, Feb 29, 2020.

1. WinLatest New Member

Windows 10’s update heads to WSUS testers ahead of release

Officially called Windows 10 version 2004, the next major version of Microsoft’s desktop OS is slated to launch in April. The feature update began rolling out to all Windows Insiders last year and the update is now available for testers in WSUS.

According to Microsoft, IT admins and enterprises can now distribute Windows 10’s 20H1 update through Windows Update Server Services (WSUS) and prepare for the public rollout. Win10 version 2004 will show up in organizations that have added Windows Pre-Release WSUS catalog.

This is yet another confirmation that the tech giant is making good progress on Windows 10 version 2004 ahead of its public rollout in April/May.

Based on the feedback from IT admins and other testers, Microsoft will decide the launch date of 20H1 update. Although the update is almost done, Microsoft plans to service it with cumulative updates for another one month to ensure quality.

The ISOs of the update are also available but Microsoft has yet to make the feature update available for Insiders on the Release Preview ring, which is the final step in the updates-testing process.

The update was reportedly finalized in December and Microsoft is now testing it to ensure its quality before the official launch.

Windows 10 20H1 is a huge release with multiple new features and improvements. For example, Windows Search is getting a new algorithm to address problems with excessive disk and processor usage, which some users have experienced in the past.

In theory, Windows Search can now detect excessive disk usage and other performance issues and throttle search indexing activity.

Microsoft will improve Windows 10 search in other ways too. In 20H1, Windows Search has been updated to be more intelligent and find your files or folders even when you made spelling mistakes in the search query.

Similarly, Microsoft is introducing Cloud Recovery, a new Cortana experience, and also updating Task Manager with disk type and GPU temperature options.

The post Windows 10’s update heads to WSUS testers ahead of release appeared first on Windows Latest

Weiterlesen...

WinLatest, Feb 29, 2020

2. Microsoft Releases Windows Vista SP1 Beta to Select Testers

In contrast to the previous testing program, Microsoft recently released the most up-to-date code of its operating system to a small, hand-picked selection of people. SP1 is designed to enhance current features found in Vista, rather than add new ones. Among the most noticeable improvements to Vista in SP1:
    • Overall performance has increased markedly.
    • Several stability issues have been fixed
    • Network compatibility/speed has been tweaked
    There is no word as to whether or not there will be a public version of this update. Anyone who has been chosen as a beta tester will most likely get the update through Windows Update.

Source: Dailytech

zekrahminator, Feb 29, 2020
  3. qubit Win User
    The WSUS support thread

This thread is for all things WSUS (Windows Server Update Services). Discussion, installation questions, problems all go here.

What is WSUS? It's basically a big file cache for all your Windows/Microsoft updates, so all your updates are only ever downloaded over the internet once. Instead of getting your updates directly from Microsoft whenever you reinstall your operating system, you point Windows to your local WSUS server instead. This makes downloading the multi-gigabytes of updates way faster using your internal network and also saves your internet bandwidth, which is often metered and limited.

Note that it requires Windows Server to run. I recommend running the latest Server 2008 R2 for performance, stability and security, if you can. This is a 64-bit only OS. And yes, the server can update from it's own WSUS server too. *Cool Windows 10’s update heads to WSUS testers ahead of release :cool:

I've got links to a few resources below and I'll be adding more goodness to this post and the next one, as people make useful contributions to this thread.

Some WSUS resources to get you started:

The manual: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd939796(WS.10).aspx

WSUS home: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/wsus/default.aspx

WSUS forum: Technet forums - WSUS

WSUS wiki: www.wsuswiki.com

POINTING WINDOWS TO THE WSUS SERVER

Note that this procedure is all you have to do on Vista and 7. XP requires a little extra and the whole update process isn't as transparent or efficient.

- Click the Orb at the bottom left of the desktop aka 'Start' button
    - In the search field enter GPEDIT.MSC
    - In the Local Group Policy Editor (LGPE) console that appears, navigate to: Computer configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update
    - Double click the Specify Intranet Microsoft update service location Group Policy setting. Note that Not Configured is showing in the State column

Windows 10’s update heads to WSUS testers ahead of release WSUSsetup01.png

- The dialog box opens. Note that the Not Configured radio button is selected

Windows 10’s update heads to WSUS testers ahead of release WSUSsetup02.png

- Enter the server details, by clicking the Enabled radio button and entering the same details in both Options fields. The server's name is the standard Windows name. My server is called afterburner *Smile Windows 10’s update heads to WSUS testers ahead of release :)

Windows 10’s update heads to WSUS testers ahead of release WSUSsetup03.png

- Click OK. The main LGPE window now looks like below. Note that Enabled is now showing in the State column.

Windows 10’s update heads to WSUS testers ahead of release WSUSsetup04.png

- Close the LGPE window

- Open the Windows Update window. It should now show You receive updates: Managed by your system administrator

Windows 10’s update heads to WSUS testers ahead of release WSUSsetup05.png

Now, whenever you check for updates, Windows will access your WSUS server instead of looking over the internet to Microsoft's servers.
    If you want to change it back at an time, simply change the Group Policy setting back to Not Configured.

qubit, Feb 29, 2020
  4. Brink Win User

Microsoft publishing pre-release Windows 10 feature updates to WSUS Insider

Source: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/...US/ba-p/845054

Brink, Feb 29, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows 10’s update heads to WSUS testers ahead of release - Similar Threads - 10’s update heads

2. WSUS Update for window 10 Failed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WSUS Update for window 10 Failed: Hi , i was tasked to use WSUS Update to update Patches for 30 - 40Pc. but i noticed that after running the installer it says Failed to update . https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wsus-update-for-window-10-failed/074afe45-38e4-4050-93c7-9cdfa3a6889b
  3. WSUS Update for window 10 Failed

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    WSUS Update for window 10 Failed: Hi , i was tasked to use WSUS Update to update Patches for 30 - 40Pc. but i noticed that after running the installer it says Failed to update . https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wsus-update-for-window-10-failed/074afe45-38e4-4050-93c7-9cdfa3a6889b
  4. windows 10 update issues with wsus

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    windows 10 update issues with wsus: Hello, I am using server 2008 wsus with windows 10 clients. clients aren't downloading and installing the updates at set time which is 3am. I have all settings setup through gpedit, I restarted the computers but still no luck. do you think wsus 2008 is not compatible with...
  5. Microsoft releasing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 19041.84 to WSUS

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft releasing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 19041.84 to WSUS: Hello Windows Insiders, we have released 20H1 Build 19041.84 via WSUS that contains the latest security fixes for organizations to prepare for releasing Windows 10 version 2004 in their organizations. This release will replace the existing content in Windows Pre-Release if...
  6. Microsoft publishing pre-release Windows 10 feature updates to WSUS Insider

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft publishing pre-release Windows 10 feature updates to WSUS Insider: Today, in response to your feedback, we will begin making pre-release Windows 10 feature updates available to IT administrators using Windows Server Update Service (WSUS). This is the next step in our efforts to provide your organization with the ability to validate...
  7. Windows 10 May 2019 Update heads to the Release Preview Ring Insiders

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 May 2019 Update heads to the Release Preview Ring Insiders: Microsoft today expanded the availability of Windows 10 May 2019 Update (version 1903) to the Release Preview Ring ring. This change confirms that Windows 10 May 2019 Update is on its track to late May public launch. Right now, the Windows 10 May 2019 Update Build 18362.30...
  8. SKIP AHEAD TO NEXT WINDOW RELEASE

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    SKIP AHEAD TO NEXT WINDOW RELEASE: When I select this option it, automatically reverted. My Question is When SKIP AHEAD TO WINDOW RELEASE will OPEN, because now it's closed? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/skip-ahead-to-next-window-release/660431cb-4fa0-49bc-9ba4-55279ee282d3
  9. Bypass WSUS for Windows 10 Updates?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Bypass WSUS for Windows 10 Updates?: My computer is on an AD domain and we have a WSUS server serving updates. However only certain categories of updates are auto approved so typically what I used to do with windows 7 is every once in a while click "Check for updates from microsoft" and this would bypass WSUS...
  10. Testers protest abrupt changes in Windows 10's OneDrive

in Windows 10 News
    Testers protest abrupt changes in Windows 10's OneDrive: The latest preview release for Windows 10 is getting a thumbs-down from one group of testers angry that Microsoft changed a fundamental feature of the OneDrive sync client. Here's what they're unhappy about and how Microsoft has responded so far. Testers protest abrupt...