Windows 10: Windows 10sion: What's Old Is New Again

Discus and support Windows 10sion: What's Old Is New Again in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Hi there I LIKE the virtual desktops idea too-- I know there's a utility from sysinternals but that utility isn't really any good -- the old version... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by PaulGo, Sep 30, 2014.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Windows 10sion: What's Old Is New Again

Hi there

I LIKE the virtual desktops idea too-- I know there's a utility from sysinternals but that utility isn't really any good -- the old version that worked on XP was better -- a Virtual desktop should also continue running background processes even when its not the "Active" desktop.

For example with tiles - you could start an app on VD1 - then do some activities on VD2 say spreadsheets etc - and with a click of mouse / keyboard or a touch function switch to the tile on VD1 where say if you were looking at NEWS the item would be the current display (which has been updating even in the background).

Any Linux user probably knows how useful Virtual desktops can be - on Linux you can have totally separate backgrounds and applications on each desktop -- some distros allow as many as 24 !!!!. You can have different menus, desktop icons and links on each virtual desktop.

I hope W10 implements it like that.

What's Old isn't always bad either even in a NEW environment - as any Classical Violinist or Cellist will tell you especially if they can play a "Strad" !!!!!.

$10m Stradivarius violin found in New York heiress Huguette Clark's wardrobe - Telegraph

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Sep 30, 2014
  2. elhassan Win User

So true and you know Microsoft partner won't stop producing Windows 8.1 products until microsoft says so...So hater still have time some to enjoy *Smile

elhassan, Sep 30, 2014
  3. Not sure if it's just the sites I look at, but today I am seeing lots of positive comments about win 10, not to much negative

paulsalter, Sep 30, 2014
  4. BunnyJ New Member

I really hope that 10 is going to be great.
    Time will tell.

BunnyJ, Sep 30, 2014
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Still some negative comments on the W7 forum though !!! -- Since this preview was specifically DESIGNED for people who rely primarily on the desktop with keyboard and mouse I can't see what they are beefing about -- Windows 10 will be MORE windows 7 than Windows 7 !!! If I were primarily a W7 user I would be really excited about this new release since I could go on using the computer just like I've always done - together with new features as they arrive.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Sep 30, 2014
  6. This is why I am holding off at the moment and just waiting to see how peoples experience is

I use touch as well as keyboard/mouse on my laptop, so this preview is not really for me - at the moment

paulsalter, Sep 30, 2014
  7. Clam Win User
    Sadly, no matter what Microsoft does, certain people won't be pleased. Hell, Microsoft could make Windows open source, pay people to install it on their systems and not everyone would be happy! I also remember when Windows 7 first came out, people would complain on forums, blogs etc - but to this day, I'm pretty sure 99% of them are enjoying them. Many people are like that - don't want to accept new things, and although Windows 8 was one of the new things, it was simply way too different to average Windows user and that's why it was rejected by majority - IMHO.

8. ARC
    Arc Win User

There is a real possibility that 10 will be great.

9. Clam Win User
    Indeed there is, but people need to keep their expectations low, since Microsoft plans to work on Win 10 for another half a year at least, so there'll be plenty of room for improvements, new things, bug fixes and so on. I just hope people won't give up on it as soon as their Windows randomly crash once..

10. ARC
    Arc Win User
    The people who are ready to test the preview will show more maturity. *Biggrin

11. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Agreed -- We all know it's probably even pre-beta software - certainly well before a Release Candidate. People who don't understand that should not download and use.

I suspect though as Ms is gearing this towards enterprise W7 users it will work pretty well straight out of the box. I can't wait to try it on the Surface Pro 3 tablet though !!!.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Sep 30, 2014
  12. Yep.

Coke Robot, Sep 30, 2014
  13. Windows 10sion: What's Old Is New Again

I don't think there's anything wrong with 10 being like 7. Windows 8's Desktop was just the same as 7's, Windows 10's Desktop is picks off where 7 left off and added what was brought to the table with 8.

But then again, this is the verge we're talking about and they're a very skewed bunch. Let alone the fact that this is the technical preview intended primarily for the enterprise and people who complained until they were blue in the face about 8. The enterprise is basically all running 7, so it makes sense for them to first deliver a new OS with a familiar looking UI.

Let's wait until the consumer preview to see what else is in store.

Coke Robot, Sep 30, 2014
  14. Rickkins Win User
    I'm gonna set up vmware, for the first time, and install it there. I assume that I can install it while not belonging to the "wip"...

Rickkins, Sep 30, 2014
  15. LEE
    Lee Win User
    I have it install without signing up with "wip" and it seems to be working just fine. . .knock on wood. . .

Thema:

1. Windows 10sion: What's Old Is New Again - Similar Threads - 10sion What's Old

2. Old windows on new PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Old windows on new PC: Will the product key work on the new pc as I can't do anything to remove the key from the old pc? The motherboard died so I need to change everything except SSD. I need to it and I dont want to buy license again....
  3. Old windows on new PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Old windows on new PC: Will the product key work on the new pc as I can't do anything to remove the key from the old pc? The motherboard died so I need to change everything except SSD. I need to it and I dont want to buy license again....
  4. Old windows on new PC

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. windows 11 is installing old intel drivers again and again

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 11 is installing old intel drivers again and again: I installed the latest intel driver from intel's website the windows downloaded the old driver again and installed it I tried disabling the update but nothing works. Even let it install the old driver then update it again but the problem is still not fixed. I installed the...
  6. windows 11 is installing old intel drivers again and again

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows 11 is installing old intel drivers again and again: I installed the latest intel driver from intel's website the windows downloaded the old driver again and installed it I tried disabling the update but nothing works. Even let it install the old driver then update it again but the problem is still not fixed. I installed the...
  7. same old virus again in windows 11

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    same old virus again in windows 11: Hi again, i finally got some logs greg, hopefully this will help. So I have windows 11 apparently but the same old files appear and these are the logs I managed to capture if they are the actual ones from my scans, Rod Christoffersen 0414466007 Aussie *** Email address is...
  8. New pc buy Windows again?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New pc buy Windows again?: I just have a laptop with Windows 10 already installed (the laptop is new) and I want to build a gaming pc and assemble it myself. Now my question is if i have to buy Windows or if i can do it somehow? Neuer Pc nochmal Windows kaufen?
  9. Again new update and again explorer not responding

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Again new update and again explorer not responding: As title says again explorer not responding after updating and all i get is black screen. Tried running SFC/SCANNOW It found corrupted files and fixed them, but it didn't fix anything....
  10. old drivers are at it again

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    old drivers are at it again: With the new release of windows the old buggy 2.7 drivers are back that crashes the pc be warned includes latest 1803 version if i update your drivers windows update will replace them with the messed up ones this was a common issue that wa supposed to fixed you can try...