Windows 10: Windows 10sion: What's Old Is New Again

Discus and support Windows 10sion: What's Old Is New Again in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; But why does Windows 10 have to look like Windows 95?! *Confused Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by PaulGo, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Windows 10sion: What's Old Is New Again

But why does Windows 10 have to look like Windows 95?! *Confused

TairikuOkami, Oct 4, 2014
  2. Tews Win User

Me thinks you are exagerating just a tad. *Rolleyes

3. jeffrys Win User
    Words of wisdom.......

Jeff

jeffrys, Oct 4, 2014
  4. BlueGuy Win User

Windows 10sion: What's Old Is New Again

I concur. *Thumbs

Bow to Indianatone's wisdom, young Padawan!
    *Think

BlueGuy, Oct 4, 2014
  5. bromanbro Win User
    Windows 10sion: What's Old Is New Again 6064d1485948315t-windows-10sion-whats-old-new-again-win95.png

Windows 10sion: What's Old Is New Again 6066d1485948315t-windows-10sion-whats-old-new-again-image..jpg

I have great nostalgia for Windows 95. Despite Win10 looking better, notice how much carried over from 95 *Smile

bromanbro, Oct 4, 2014
  6. Trust_No1 Win User
    What it all comes down to is one simple question

would you, or the public, buy Windows 10 over Windows 8.1 or Windows 7?

and at this point, after using Windows 10, for myself, I would say absolutely NOT!!, and I have reservations about the general public.

I love how they handle the Apps on Desktop, very nice job,
    but totally hate the Start Menu with it's tiles, and the fact you can't switch into Metro Mode without having to log on/off.

I haven't played much with the Virtual desktops, but at this point, I find it harder to use then either Metro or Windows 7

I hope they don't leave it, as it is......

Trust_No1, Oct 4, 2014
  7. New tech is built on old tech - Windows Live Mail still has Outlook Express Components under the covers. No software company writes new code for every release, they change what the user sees and call it new *Wink

I tried to understand why people missed the start menu in Win8. When I eventually installed Win8, the Start Screen was a big improvement over the tiny linear program list presented in a start menu - a big improvement!
    My most used applications were pinned to the taskbar, so I didn't have to open the Start screen very often - same as I had in Win7. There weren't any extra clicks to launch a program. Why couldn't people grasp the concept?

The move to immersive applications didn't impress me as much, so I stuck with desktop applications. Everything ran as it did in Win7 ... except I had a large palette to chose the program I wanted to run.

I've been running Win8 for a little over 4 months and I don't miss Win7 at all - there's no reason to miss it. The desktop is the same. Win8 is faster and smaller - the device driver integration makes Win8 great. Win7 sometimes gave me a wrong driver and I had to back it off or didn't offer a driver I needed.

I installed Win10 in a native Hyper-V Virtual Machine - not too difficult, but I had to learn some new technology. Kari has a very good tutorial on Hyper-V.

I decided to install Win7 in a Hyper-V machine - that was/is interesting. Home Premium doesn't have all of the bells and whistles required to make it play nice with Hyper-V, but it can be done.

I had to install Win7 from scratch and that reminded me of how quickly we forget what early releases are like.
    Win7 SP1 is clunky and SLOW! I was hypnotized by the revolving circle as I waited for it to boot or complete a task. I had to double the amount of memory that Win10 used in a VM for it to even consider running well.

Don't get me wrong, I like Win7, but I like Win8 better now that I've used it for a while. I'm really liking what I see in Win10 - as most people have already said ... Win10 is what Win8 should have been ... but then we forget what WinXP, WinVista, and Win7 were like when they were first released.

If MS puts too much of the Desktop in the immersive GUI or too much of the immersive GUI on the desktop, my only hope is that users get to decide what gets implemented on their machine. I got used to the corners (charms, settings, recent apps) and the Win10 preview pulled them - the option is still in Task Bar navigation, but it doesn't work on a machine determined to be a desktop machine. Snap doesn't seem to work in either GUI and they put the Start Screen on the Start menu (luckily you can choose and it does work). Anyway, it's not called a preview for nothin'

There's nothing every really new - we still put tires on cars :b

Slartybart, Oct 4, 2014
  8. CountMike New Member

Not really that simple. most of new things are not implemented yet, it's still pretty "in the rough" and if I had to buy it now I would rather spend 4 bucks on "Start is back" or something like that. As fine as 7 was, Win 8.1 is better so that's out of the question too.
    With Apps (which I haven't much use of) behaving somewhat like desktop programs there is bigger potential so we may see some good ones in near future.
    Virtual desktops I don't like and use anyway, I have only a desktop computer with 2 monitors and that more than replaces the need for it so they will not be an issue for me when considering of buying W 10.

CountMike, Oct 4, 2014
  9. LittleJay Win User
    *Ditto

LittleJay, Oct 4, 2014
  10. bromanbro Win User
    I like the start menu because it has the control panel, a shortcut to Documents, and recently used programs. That's all I ever use it for, and the Start Screen can't replace those, as I don't need something to take up my whole screen just for 3 shortcuts ._.'

bromanbro, Oct 4, 2014
  11. Dave44 Win User
    hope there leave the choice of start screen or start menu in final version so then everyone can be happy and pick which one they want

Dave44, Oct 4, 2014
  12. I had W10 on my SP1 for a few days and liked what I saw. But it wasn't ready enough for me.

I like and use a few 'modern UI' apps and didn't care for them with W10. And I really missed IE11 modern UI version a lot.

Most likely I'll get around to setting up my HP all-in-one desktop to dual boot W10 and play around there a bit. I think as it sits today, the W10 preview is very good for desktop users and less than good for 'modern UI' users.

But I pretty much knew that going in.

What I won't do is put it on my SP1 again!! Too damned painful to take it back to W8.1! *Sad

lparsons21, Oct 4, 2014
  13. Dave44 Win User

you could dual boot it so you got boot on and easy to go back to either then I just installed windows 10 tech preview in dual boot

Dave44, Oct 4, 2014
  14. I probably will do just that, but on the 23" HP all-in-one touch machine. The screen size makes the desktop just fine for use. The smaller 10" screen on the SP1 makes desktop use less than ideal for my old eyes.

I'm more likely to wait until they get the touch stuff worked out a bit more before I jump back in. But give me a few days where it is too cold to ease out to the golf course and who knows what will happen?? *Smile

lparsons21, Oct 4, 2014
  15. Tony K Win User
    To those who disliked 8.x, the Modern UI, Store apps, and the general direction MS is taking, which is ultimately to develop an OS to run across multiple devices > Please remember that lot of us enjoy those and will continue to enjoy them. Personally I've used 8.x since RP back in June of 2012.

What an ignorant article. 10 is closer to 7 than 8.x was, but a lot more advanced than 7 because it continues to attach the Modern, but in a different way. I've not had a chance to install 10 due to a faulty PSU and awaiting shipment of a new one, but I watched the video of the press release and read a lot on this forum to know enough what it is. I also have and extensively use a Lumia 1520 phablet.

I'd like to think MS would have rather preferred to continue on with the Modern, but the numbers of 8.x just weren't there. Therefore, it looks to me so far is that they made an OS of compromise. During the press conference they stressed presenting a new OS to all levels of users. From the novice to the Pro and anyone in between, but not forgetting those of us that enjoy the new system of 8.x nor those that enjoy traditional 7. It looks to me as though they did a pretty good job, especially addressing the lack of the Start Menu and windowing of Modern Store apps, which were the traditionalists' main complaints. I like the windowing myself even though they open on the desktop.

Not sure what the multiple virtual desktops are all about other than they mentioned switching in between work and play. Not so much of an advance if one cannot save them (like a file)for future use such as tabs on a Windows phone, if that be the case. I'd rather just use multiple monitors if on a desktop tower PC.

Cortana, Data Sense, and WiFi Sense for mobile devices are rumored to be the big features introduced. Those will be great additions. Cortana is basically Bing on steroids. Quite a nice feature on WP8, especially using voice commands.

I see a lot of bugs need to be addressed before I think they would introduce more features, though. https://www.tenforums.com/general-dis...tml#post151233

Tony K, Oct 5, 2014
Thema:

1. Windows 10sion: What's Old Is New Again - Similar Threads - 10sion What's Old

2. Old windows on new PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Old windows on new PC: Will the product key work on the new pc as I can't do anything to remove the key from the old pc? The motherboard died so I need to change everything except SSD. I need to it and I dont want to buy license again....
  3. Old windows on new PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Old windows on new PC: Will the product key work on the new pc as I can't do anything to remove the key from the old pc? The motherboard died so I need to change everything except SSD. I need to it and I dont want to buy license again....
  4. Old windows on new PC

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. windows 11 is installing old intel drivers again and again

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 11 is installing old intel drivers again and again: I installed the latest intel driver from intel's website the windows downloaded the old driver again and installed it I tried disabling the update but nothing works. Even let it install the old driver then update it again but the problem is still not fixed. I installed the...
  6. windows 11 is installing old intel drivers again and again

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows 11 is installing old intel drivers again and again: I installed the latest intel driver from intel's website the windows downloaded the old driver again and installed it I tried disabling the update but nothing works. Even let it install the old driver then update it again but the problem is still not fixed. I installed the...
  7. same old virus again in windows 11

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    same old virus again in windows 11: Hi again, i finally got some logs greg, hopefully this will help. So I have windows 11 apparently but the same old files appear and these are the logs I managed to capture if they are the actual ones from my scans, Rod Christoffersen 0414466007 Aussie *** Email address is...
  8. New pc buy Windows again?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New pc buy Windows again?: I just have a laptop with Windows 10 already installed (the laptop is new) and I want to build a gaming pc and assemble it myself. Now my question is if i have to buy Windows or if i can do it somehow? Neuer Pc nochmal Windows kaufen?
  9. Again new update and again explorer not responding

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Again new update and again explorer not responding: As title says again explorer not responding after updating and all i get is black screen. Tried running SFC/SCANNOW It found corrupted files and fixed them, but it didn't fix anything....
  10. old drivers are at it again

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    old drivers are at it again: With the new release of windows the old buggy 2.7 drivers are back that crashes the pc be warned includes latest 1803 version if i update your drivers windows update will replace them with the messed up ones this was a common issue that wa supposed to fixed you can try...