Windows 10: Windows 10sion: What's Old Is New Again

Discus and support Windows 10sion: What's Old Is New Again in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; To those who disliked 8.x, the Modern UI, Store apps, and the general direction MS is taking, which is ultimately to develop an OS to run across... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by PaulGo, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Dude Win User

Windows 10sion: What's Old Is New Again

Well said. I was not an early adapter to 8, but was to 7. Once I used 8, more specifiacaly 8.1 I didn't look back.

There is a lot of good features in 10, but some were available any way with 8 (Desktops), but the same can be said with 7 when it hit the scene.

I have not been happier to try a new windows since the 7 preview. Even though I was slow to get 8, ten is a no brainer for me

2. Tony K Win User

Thanks, Dude. *Smile

I liked 8, but didn't know how much I disliked it until I used 8.1. *Huh

Users jumping from XP to 8.x had the most difficult time. 8.x was a bit of a learning curve, although not as bad as the press made it out to be, but one can't get too far from the "next OS" otherwise it's a bear to learn.

Ten looks to be a no brainer for me also. I'll be ahead if they add the other features I mentioned as well since I've been using them on my Lumia.

I forgot to mention that Cortana will get geo-fenced Wi-fi activation on mobile devices: Cortana to get geo-fenced Wi-fi activation

Tony K, Oct 5, 2014
  3. rmonroe36 Win User
    Pardon my ignorance, but what is an SP1 and why was it so difficult?

Rich

rmonroe36, Oct 5, 2014
  4. Windows 10sion: What's Old Is New Again

It is the 1st gen Surface Pro.

What makes the restoring to original such a PITA is that it loads Windows 8.0. Then you have to get the updates which number 93 at the moment. The updating process runs a very long time and generally errors out and you get to start again.

Once that's done you can upgrade to Windows 8.1 which isn't a problem.

In general it takes about a full day to get it all done before you get to start loading up the apps you might have bought/downloaded along the way.

The 2nd generation and beyond Surface Pros shipped with W8.1 and take much less time and effort to virginize.

lparsons21, Oct 5, 2014
  5. rmonroe36 Win User
    I take it, then, that for the SP1 you cannot make a backup image. Is it same for 2nd generation and beyond?

Rich

rmonroe36, Oct 5, 2014
  6. I've been doing some reading since I finally got things back to normal on the SP1. It seems I could do that and probably will.

If what I'm reading is correct, then I could just pick a time after all is in a stable setup and image that. Certainly would be better than having to start from scratch with the 'recovery' stuff that MS provides.

One thing that has niggled at the back of my mind, is that if MS could change the recovery partition to recover to W10, why didn't they do that with Win8.1?

Or at least provide the utilities for the end user to do it.

lparsons21, Oct 5, 2014
  7. There are a lot of people who don't agree (me included).

Infinite sideways scrolling is for tablet users (or reading books).

Switch to a new screen breaks their concentration (and mine too).
    It's like having to get up and walk to a different PC.
    If it doesn't annoy you, there is no way anyone can explain to you why it annoys them.

The original Metro Screen was less customisable than the Start Menu (not that many people customise their Start Menu anyway).

They did grasp it and threw it as far away as they could. *Biggrin

It took extra clicks to get to System tools and Shutdown in W8 (assuming you didn't use search or "Alt + F4").

The first thing I noticed when I first used Vista was how many extra clicks were required to customise it (compared to XP).
    The additional insult was that after all of the extra clicking, you got the old XP dialogue window anyway. *Mad

I don't know how VMs perform in Hyper-V.

In VMware (on my PC):

• W7 VMs take at least twice as long to boot as my real W7 does.
    • XP VMs take about the same time to boot as the real XP does (half the time that the W7 VMs do)
    Note:
    On my PC, real W7 boots in about 2/3 of the time that real XP needs.

Part of the problem was that MS ripped out working stuff, replaced it with their "new paradigm" and didn't bother to tell anyone how to use it or where to find the things they moved.

lehnerus2000, Oct 5, 2014
  8. Windows 10sion: What's Old Is New Again

GUI still look the same like in 95, basic 256 colors windows.
    Only new icons and other colors, wallpaper, make it look better.

TairikuOkami, Oct 5, 2014
  9. azasadny Win User
    The people who don't like Windows have already decided they don't like Windows 10 without even seeing it.

azasadny, Oct 5, 2014
  10. ARC
    Arc Win User
    Dont they feel any suffocation? *Sad

11. From first look there really isn't much different in win-10 from 8.1 ?
    I'd say if they/ Microsoft was going to being back the start button why not do just that ?
    This is not a desktop start button,
    Power button is silly where it is now,
    No text option for where icons are mandatory ?
    Actually 8 was better because I had start8 installed it's as it's described,
    The search wasn't as good as 7's but at far as content was it was acceptable,
    It also made changing the start button very easy *Wink

So is win-10 better than 8.1 :/
    If it's not obvious to me the improvements how can it be ?
    I'm about as average user as it gets and I don't see it,
    That's a problem possibly just mine though *Smile

ThrashZone, Oct 6, 2014
  12. Tony K Win User
    It's on the desktop and opens the Start Menu, yes? *Wink

What was the search that Start8 used BTW?

Tony K, Oct 6, 2014
  13. Windows 10sion: What's Old Is New Again

A tweaked explorer I suppose ?
    Some items start8 wouldn't bring up can't remember what though I didn't use 8 all that much just a little trouble shooting sites...
    I believe I've used w10 more in the last few days than the entire time I had 8 :/

The point is it's not 7's start and it can't be made that way easily via existing menus,
    Text instead of icons on the right side should be a basic setting imho and I left feedback on that point,
    Doubt it will do any good but who knows :/

ThrashZone, Oct 6, 2014
  14. Tony K Win User
    I'm going to say it as I see it. Please keep in mind that I've not a chance to install 10 yet due to faulty PSU and awaiting shipment.

This is by no means a judgment call, but rather a observation. I see there's a lot of 7F members getting active here expecting 10 to be there "savior" from 8.x and be a whole lot more like 7. Also, they may be somewhat perplexed about aspects of the system because they don't know 8.x all that well, if at all. 10 simply cannot be another "totally desktop" 7, but it's more like it than the 8s were. I see it as a compromise OS.

It's no secret that I'm a great proponent of 8.1 and the direction MS is heading. Their ultimate goal is one OS to run across multiple devices. From a business standpoint they must infiltrate the mobile market for there's huge profits to be made. On the other hand they must appease what turns out to be a loyal "conservative" user base. I fondly call them sevenosauruses and they call us TIFKAM fanbois. *Tongue

Anywho, about the subject at hand; It does sound like Start8 used the File Explorer search rather than the integrated global Bing search, but then again WinKey/F brings up file search in Charms, which logically should be File Explorer search. Using that I found it to be rather much improved. It found words in files even if they were open and will take one to that open file if clicked. It didn't miss a beat performing any kind of search.

The Start Menu has always changed from one edition to the next. They brought it back to appease those that wanted it and rightfully so. They saw fit to incorporate Modern into it, for that fits in with their new paradigm. If one doesn't want tiles on it, then omit them. When it comes to the missing right side, does not right clicking on the Start Flag or WinKey/X bring up the advanced context menu (power user task menu) in the lower-left corner of the screen?

Bottom line is that MS must and I think will pursue their new paradigm of Modern. From what I see I think they are doing a pretty good job of compromising between the old and the new.

Tony K, Oct 6, 2014
  15. Yep well when companies see revenues not go where they expect it to be on a product things usually change *Wink
    Kudos to Microsoft for making that little bit of change
    If they can do more on the easy customizing end they might have a winner in 10 *Smile

ThrashZone, Oct 6, 2014
Thema:

Windows 10sion: What's Old Is New Again

1. Windows 10sion: What's Old Is New Again - Similar Threads - 10sion What's Old

2. Old windows on new PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Old windows on new PC: Will the product key work on the new pc as I can't do anything to remove the key from the old pc? The motherboard died so I need to change everything except SSD. I need to it and I dont want to buy license again....
  3. Old windows on new PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Old windows on new PC: Will the product key work on the new pc as I can't do anything to remove the key from the old pc? The motherboard died so I need to change everything except SSD. I need to it and I dont want to buy license again....
  4. Old windows on new PC

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. windows 11 is installing old intel drivers again and again

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 11 is installing old intel drivers again and again: I installed the latest intel driver from intel's website the windows downloaded the old driver again and installed it I tried disabling the update but nothing works. Even let it install the old driver then update it again but the problem is still not fixed. I installed the...
  6. windows 11 is installing old intel drivers again and again

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows 11 is installing old intel drivers again and again: I installed the latest intel driver from intel's website the windows downloaded the old driver again and installed it I tried disabling the update but nothing works. Even let it install the old driver then update it again but the problem is still not fixed. I installed the...
  7. same old virus again in windows 11

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    same old virus again in windows 11: Hi again, i finally got some logs greg, hopefully this will help. So I have windows 11 apparently but the same old files appear and these are the logs I managed to capture if they are the actual ones from my scans, Rod Christoffersen 0414466007 Aussie *** Email address is...
  8. New pc buy Windows again?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New pc buy Windows again?: I just have a laptop with Windows 10 already installed (the laptop is new) and I want to build a gaming pc and assemble it myself. Now my question is if i have to buy Windows or if i can do it somehow? Neuer Pc nochmal Windows kaufen?
  9. Again new update and again explorer not responding

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Again new update and again explorer not responding: As title says again explorer not responding after updating and all i get is black screen. Tried running SFC/SCANNOW It found corrupted files and fixed them, but it didn't fix anything....
  10. old drivers are at it again

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    old drivers are at it again: With the new release of windows the old buggy 2.7 drivers are back that crashes the pc be warned includes latest 1803 version if i update your drivers windows update will replace them with the messed up ones this was a common issue that wa supposed to fixed you can try...